Customer reviews

Ok condition. But good
on 20 March 2017
Brilliant
on 6 July 2015
One for my archive collection.
on 12 July 2008
I love that these landmark movies got a squeaky clean restoration, added special features, and that Godfather II is on one disc instead of two. As a Godfather fan, of course I've ordered this new set, BUT I can't wait for a definitive chronological edit to hit DVD someday (soon?).

Previous chronlogical edits include: (1) "Godfather 1902-1959: The Complete Epic" which is a VHS-only 402 min. chronological edit of Parts I & II not available on DVD or laserdisc. Doesn't include Part III (171 min.) which would take it to 573 min. total; (2) "Godfather Trilogy: 1901-1980" which is a Laserdisc chronological 583 min. edit of Parts I, II, & III (std 171 min. for Part III); and (3) "Godfather Saga" (aka Mario Puzo's The Godfather Saga: The Complete Novel for Television) which is a chronological 605 min. edit of Parts I, II, & III with added footage (434 min. for Parts I & II plus std 171 min. for Part III) done for TV broadcast only. This version was never issued commercially in any format. Some lucky people like me were able to record it off TV.

ALL of these chronological versions are slightly different and all contain at least some footage not contained on the other versions! Come on Francis, give the fans a super complete chronologiocal edit sooner rather than later!
on 21 June 2010
Just finished watching all three Godfathers. Here's my brief lowdown on the blu-ray transfer (whether you want it or not):

Godfather 3: This has been remastered rather than "meticulously restored" like the other two films. It looks fine for the most part. Not a great hi-def film but perfectly adequate - except for some brightness fluctuations amongst the 'blacks' in a couple of scenes.

Godfather 2: This has been restored to a point that matches the quality of the third film. I've never seen it looking better. I was noticing subtleties for the first time.

Godfather 1: The original negative must have been in helluva state. The picture quality was variable. Out of the three films this would win the prize for the most grainy scenes. That said: It ain't all as bad as that. (A few scenes look like they could have been shot yesterday.) But if the other films were like it, it wouldn't be worth getting the blu-rays - just stick with the dvds.

There's also an interesting new 20min doc on the restoration process which explains what a state the first two films were in. (It took the pulling power of Spielberg to have them restored.) The irony is - the new interviews with the filmmakers recorded in HD look better than the actual films they were restoring!

In short - I have no regrets with my purchase as I wasn't expecting a miracle. So go and find the best on-line deal you can, and make them an offer they can't refuse.

Il vostro amico,
VINE VOICEon 19 May 2007
Firstly I think the person below (Mr Younghusband) may have been confused. The first movie concentrates on the son, Michael's (Pacino)eventual corruption, the second focuses on how the father, Vito (Brando/De Niro) came to be so driven and powerful by going back in time, and taking us through his immigration to the US when he was a child and his struggle to rise from poverty.

All of the films are in this collection. Plus a lovely bonus disc - which I have yet to watch but that's not really why I bought the set.
on 12 October 2001
The Godfather trilogy was made for DVD. Being an ardent fan of the trilogy, I'd been anticipating this release for a while. There is a slight tinge of disappointment - there's nothing of note I've not seen before. That said, the material is excellent, but I was a little disappointed that the additional scenes are in a difficult to access separate section. Also, I've seen them all before. Anyone who has The Godfather The Epic (not the TV saga, but the seven hour cut of the first 2 films in chronological order for video including all the additional footage here) will know that the additional material is strong enough to warrant cutting back into the films themselves; especially since Coppola had already done just that for The Epic. Also, i was hoping for a commemorative booklet.
The films themselves are terrific, although I was slightly surprised watching them again back-to-back for the first time in a while to conclude that (i) absent the fantastic Young Vito scenes, GF2 isn't as good as GF1; (ii) GF3 isn't as bad as most think, though it is easily the weakest, but most surprisingly (iii) Once Michael becomes Don at the end of GF1 he stops being interesting and becomes a bit of a self righteous, self pitying dullard. I wish he had at least the inkling of a sense of humour like he did in Part 1 because without it, you don't actually care that much what happens to him (this is a fault of Coppola and Puzo rather than Pacino, who is terrific). Part 2 is saved by Young Vito and Frankie 5 Angels; alas nobody quite saves part 3 though Garcia comes close.
I don't mean to sound negative - I'm a big fan and these are my thoughts on rewatching these movies. The quality of the DVD transfer is excellent; the making of docu is good (even if you've seen it before) and there's masses of peripheral stuff. So, I had to dock it one star for not giving us the Directors Cut of each film or, better still, giving us The Epic, but rest assured this is a DVD boxset you simply must own. It's an offer you can't refuse.
on 10 August 2009
Well this box set was a good well laid out 5 disk box set 4 out 5 I give it.

Really enjoyed the God father and everyone agrees the first film is the best. The others are good just not quite as good lol.

The God Father has what everyone wants in a Gangster film , such as lots of action , little love triangle, and humor to boot,

The story line was well thought out and I really was stuck to my seat all the way though the films. Mainly the first one as said before truly amazing. As the God Father without ruining too much of the film Is a head Gangster that believes in respect and religion and his family comes first above all else. This makes us the views feel Very deeply for him as well as the other members his family as we look from the perspective on his and there every day lives.

All the way though the several disks we watch the God Fathers family grow up and age and though the process watching their children grow up and take over the family business so to speak lol.

I highly recommend these films. With an added bonus there plenty of extras too. Well worth the money :)
on 6 June 2015
The Godfather is probably the most famous and only mafia trilogy of all time.
The Godfather.
The Godfather is an iconic mafia film and the first one to portray violence in a realistic way. It has one o the best ensemble cast of all time that includes Al Pacino, Marlon Brando Diane Keaton Robert Duvall and James Caan. Francis Ford Coppola as director provides to the audience possibly the best gangster film of all time.

The Godfather Part 2.
This sequel was the first one to be called officially a sequel in cinema history. Francis Ford Coppola returns as director by telling us two stories one set in the past with Robert De Niro as a young Don Vito Corleone and the present with Michael Corleone reprised by Al Pacino.The film still has a great cast and director but this sequel but does not have the same impact as the first one did.

The Godfather Part 3.
This is probably the weakest of the trilogy due to it's pace and predictability in the story. There is also a young Sofia Coppola who plays Michael Corleone's daughter which is very off putting.
on 1 November 2008
I was really looking forward to the Blu-ray release of the Godfather films. Unfortunately, picture quality is not noticeably better than a standard DVD and is grainy in a lot of scenes. If you already own the Coppola Restoration on DVD, I wouldn't recommend upgrading to Blu-ray if you think it will have superior picture quality. You may end up disappointed like me. The films are of course fantastic and under normal circumstances, this would get the five stars, but I'm going to minus one for the disappointing picture quality.
99 Comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse