on 5 December 2001
One reviewer described this game as a load of pants. Hmmm, seems a tad harsh for a game frequently quoted as one of the best ever in it's genre and all others for that matter. Ok, it may be a few years old, but to the console purist who's never had so much as a sniff of a PC game, it's as fresh as.....well, its new to us. We'd all heard the hype surrounding Half Life, and our chance has now come to experience it's delights. And delights there are aplenty. The graphics. Graphics, graphics, graphics, is that all that matters with games these days? Half Life's visuals are of a high quality indeed. Are they better than the PC version - I don't know and I don't care. All you need to know is that they are very good.
The game is about a young Science nerd who, through a botched experiment, ends up running around a huge underground base fighting aliens and marines. Simple. The gameplay is sublime, with some great weaponry at your disposal. The enemy AI is better than anything else on the PS2, there are puzzles to solve as well, and taking on your foes requires a bit of thinking, rather than mindless blasting.
All in all, a game not to be missed. Fantastic. Ignore reviews from PC owners that slag this game off. If they compare it to the PC version, so what - aint got a PC don't care. They're most likely upset that PS2 owners have got their hands on one of their 'babies'.
It's been a long wait, but boy was it worth it.
28 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 4 August 2015
When I first heard about Half Life it sounded like your average shooter. After I played it I now understand why everyone thinks its one of the greatest games of all time. Shooting, platforming, puzzling, action with a great immersive story. It's perhaps only topped by its sequel. Think I'll get the expansion packs for PC now.
on 14 September 2011
I love this game, it is very entertaining and a joy to play. Sometimes it can be a bit hard to find the way through but worth spending time on. I got stuck in the missile silo stage of it for a few days and only found the way through by commiting suicide over the big fan in the ventellation shaft, to my amazement I found that I was blown up to the top where there is a tunnel which leads to the fuel and oxygen supply room. This was where I was stuck, I knew where the fuel room was but could not get into it. I wont say anymore as it may spoil the enjoyment of this massive game. Well worth the penny that it cost, with the postage it only comes to nearly two and a half quid. I cant think of another way to spend so little to get so many hours entertainment, buy it youll love it.
One person found this helpful
on 30 March 2018
Excellent
on 19 May 2014
Bought this game twice now and none of them work on my console because they have a purple back this is the only game i know with a purple back.. The game itself is awesome and one of my favourites but cant play it i may need a new console.
on 7 May 2016
This game was originally released in 1998 on the pc and even now, nearly 20 years on...it's still THE best fps game...timeless!
One person found this helpful
on 11 October 2016
never worked to much damage on the disc but suplier refunded fully
on 27 May 2014
I first owned this game as a pc game in the 90s so I was happy to find it again .
There were some black dirt on the manual otherwise a used game that was fun to revisit again.
on 21 December 2014
An absolute classic. Loses a star because it makes my PlayStation rev and whirr like crazy. And the in game sound is terrible. Actually gives me a headache. Still one of the best games ever made though.
on 28 November 2016