Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 December 2015
The quality of this vinyl remaster is very poor. No bass, tinny and very quiet. Avoid.
on 31 July 2001
Afer an eight year gap between albums, NewOrder are back with a new album that literally does Rock! Unlike Republic, (NewOrder's last album), GetReady has more of a rock sound. The single Crystal opens up with a guitar riff that reminds one of Paradise, off of the album Brotherhood. The album then moves onto 60 mph, another guitar driven song, with a catchy meloday. Then there is the duet with Billy Corgan (Turn My Way) Billy, and Barney's voice compliment each other very well. Vicious Streak is more moody, and synth driven reminding one of their earlier work. Bobby Gillespie of Primal Scream sings on Rock The Shack, a very raw rock song with a lot of energy. Primitive Notion has a sound that harkens back to the Joy Division days. Slow Jam is another mildly paced rock song, that doesn't really sound like NewOrder, but is wonderful! The highlight is the last song Run Wild, a slow acoustic song that touches your heart, and leaves you with a great feeling. A lot bands lose it after nearly a decade of being dormant. NewOrder have shown that time just makes the beat grow stronger.
on 6 September 2001
Having only discovered the joys of new order about a year ago I was looking forward to the new album . Its a bit different in places to some of the older , earlier stuff but its just as good . Guitar driven , with hooky's basslines , it is unmistakenably new order - BRILLIANT . Each song is great especially cyrstal , turn my way , vicious streak , slow jam and run wild . Has a band 20 years on from their start ever sounded so good?
on 18 January 2016
Good condition
on 30 August 2001
This isn't just a return to form, it's some of their best work ever. It's classic New Order, but with new found depth, soul, warmth and dare I say it, optimism? Barney sounds better than ever. The hooks are incredibly catchy, gorgeous warm sounds, big guitars, lush bass from Hooky. It has really surpassed my expectations.
on 5 August 2001
this cd is perhaps one of the best things i've heard all year, every track is wonderful! crystal is a great single, the duet with corgan is lovely, primitive notion is throwback to joy division(a good thing) this cd does not sound outdated or retro, it's a beautiful progression for the new order boys.
Welcome back New Order, we've missed you!! An excellent album which marks a return to form, and a return to some great "Hooky" basslines. The duet with Billy Corgan on Turn My Way is a particular highlight. Buy this album now, you will not be disappointed.
on 15 February 2016
Excellent
on 7 November 2001
What is wonderful about Crystal is what I love about New Order. The whole song uses one chord sequence, but the layered arrangement and uplifting vocal propel the song. New Order's musical genius is that less is more. Use a strong musical idea and develop it. There are many great tracks here, the retro-angst of Primitive Notion, the groove nostalgia of Close Range or acoustic purity of Run Wild. And the middle eight in 60 Miles an Hour is one of Peter Hook's finest moments.
on 4 January 2002
I'm a big New Order and Joy Division fan (for different reasons). I really love the music on Get Ready - it's wonderful. Unfortunately the lyrics make me want to cringe every two or three lines. Examples that spring to mind- in Crystal: "here comes love, it's like honey, you can't buy it with money". In "Turn my way": "I don't want to be like other people are, don't want to own a key, don't want to wash my car, don't want to have to work, like other people do, I wanted to be free, I want it to be true". Those are just off the top of my head. It's painful to listen to such a seminal band make an absolute mockery of their own lyric-writing capabilities.
I suggest you try something else first by New Order if you want to see what they're like (the best of is a nice place to start). I like this album, but I try to listen to it while I'm busy doing something else so I don't pay too much attention to the lyrics.