Format: Audio CD|Change

What a pleasant record! This is a ballet, apparently well thought of by Gluck himself, consisting of 31 short pieces. Gluck could rise to greatness in the operas, but we needn't bother looking for that here. This is 18th century music at its most agreeable, with nothing complex or ambitious about it. Gluck knew less counterpoint than Handel's cook (we have the word of George Frederick himself for that) but his style is always individual and to me at least very appealing. The name of the conductor recommends itself in music of this period, and I sense that this is going to be a disc that I play a lot. Going cheap too.
What a pleasant record! This is a ballet, apparently well thought of by Gluck himself, consisting of 31 short pieces. Gluck could rise to greatness in the operas, but we needn't bother looking for that here. This is 18th century music at its its most agreeable, with nothing complex or ambitious about it. He knew less counterpoint than Handel's cook (we have the word of George Frederick himself for that) but his style is always individual and to me at least very appealing. The name of the conductor recommends itself in music of this period, and I sense this is going to be a disc that I play a lot. Going cheap too.