Customer reviews

United by Fate
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 January 2003
I bought this for my missus for Christmas with the new QOTHSA cd.This is my favourite by a country mile. Starts off with a blast, "Travel by Telephone", and manages to sustain the intensity almost to the end. "Used For Glue" is a classic, other stand out tracks for me are "Undercovers On" & "Good Things Are Coming". If you like Buffalo Tom, Foos,Hundred Reasons or Jimmy Eat World you'll love this.
on 25 September 2015
superb
VINE VOICEon 26 June 2004
I think it was New Year's Eve 2003 that I saw the video for Used For Glue on TV and I vaguely remembered hearing it somewhere before. So I 'acquired' it from the Internet, listened to it 20 times a day for a week, then bought this album.
I read the Amazon review beforehand, and I HAD to weigh in on this debate: Is United By Fate boring bland US Rock, or is it life-changingly good music?
Definitely the latter - This Is A Fantastic Album. I completely understand the person that says they listened to this so much that they should be bored of it, but they're not. I have not stopped listening to this record since January! I may have bought other things since, and gone back to some old favourites, but this has been in my car, in my hi-fi, on my MP3 player and I get the same enjoyment from hearing the opening drum part from Travel By Telephone every time.
This has become my new Siamese Dream, and that was an album that continues to inspire me more than ten years later. There's not a bad track on this album, even though some are not as immediately obvious as Used For Glue and Good Things.
My Echo, for example, is a bit too poppy and Beatley at first, but I have grown to love it. Holding Sand starts with what sounds like the world's most obvious riff, but after a few listens, the sheer joy of the chorus besomes irresistable and you'll be singing along with 'makes no impression on me...'.
Own this now. Seriously, I cannot recommend this enough. Even my girlfriend is starting to sing along with it, and she's a Bon Jovi fan. Hmm, actually, that might put you of....
5 people found this helpful
on 20 March 2002
Rival Schools have truly delivered. Walter Schriefels and co meld a combination of styles to form a would be lost classic. Critically this album was well recieved upon release but didn't exactly fly off the shelves. Fan's of Gorrila Bisciut, Y.O.T and Quicksand knew what they would be getting, and now with almost continual Kerrang, MTV2 and N.M.E (shock horror) championing this album is set for a re-release and surely a higher outreach of sales.
'Used For Glue' is an anthem in waiting with its driven sensibilities and melodic power chords. Heavy radio and television rotation will ensure a high chart entry. On first listen the dirty overdriven sound of the guitars can be difficult to adjust to if your used to clean neatly produced acts but the meoldies and hooks come at you thick and fast ensuring shout along, air guitar moments at full volume. 'High Acetate' and 'My Echo' resonate with great pop directness.
In fact the whole record is as vital a release as anything yet this year. Surely to be in or around many best album votes come New Year. If not then something is seriously wrong. The Emo-hardcore-nu-post-grunge-whatever tag is rising so fast (Hundred Readons, Jimmy Eat World) and it's great to see bands who CAN play and LOVE playing and it is not often that a band like this surfaces relatively quietly.
Sit back and watch them explode.
on 5 March 2002
After all the hype surrounding Rival schools I felt that I needed to get this album and I'm happy to say that I don't regret it. One first (and 2nd,3rd and 4th) listens it doesn't sound anything special and you could be forgiven for being a little dissapointed. But PLEASE percevere as when it does finally grow on you you'll never want to put it down. Tracks like Undercover On, Holding Sand and Used for Glue are the ones which hit you first, yet the real classics are the ones like Everything has its point, the two mini songs High Acetate and My Echo and as before the next single the brilliant Used for Glue. As emotional as it is heavy this is a must for anyone who likes there CD's to be played more than once.
on 4 June 2003
I am startled by the number of reviewers who found this gem of an album boring - I can only suggest that they did not really give it a good enough listen before flinging it into the corner of their putrid teenage bedrooms in favour of Fred Durst's finest <smirk>.
This album simply screams quality. From the opening bars of 'Travel by Telephone' you know you are listening to something a bit special. Great voice, great lyrics - inspire you to go out and do something like...cut down a tree. I really like the layering of guitars on this album - they roll over you in waves of sound. Like floating in a rubber dinghy on the Atlantic for forty or so minutes. Many tout 'Used For Glue' as the album's highlight but for me it has to be 'Good Things'. I can see why some people would dislike this song - all vague platitudes and unadventurous music - but this is exactly it, Rival Schools' originality lies in the emotion they put into it. I hate 'Emo' as much as the next monkey but that title does this band a real injustice.
I travelled round South-East Asia for 7 weeks listening to this record. By rights I should be sick of it. But I'm not. Buy it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 28 January 2006
Rival Schools was created through guitarist and singer Walter Schreifels who had originally been he guitarist for the ‘80s hardcore group ‘Gorilla Biscuits’ and had then gone on to influence the entire post-hardcore movement with his influential and creative work in the band ‘Quicksand’. The group’s drummer Sam Siegler has played within the likes of ‘Gorilla Biscuits’, ‘Youth Of Today’, ‘Judge’, ‘Shelter’, ‘CIV’ and ‘Glassjaw’. Guitarist Ian Love was a former member of the bands ‘Burn’ and ‘Die 116’. Finally, Rival School’s bassist is Cache Tolman takes experience from the likes of ‘Iceburn’ and ‘CIV’. With their collective talents put together, the emo super-group ‘Rival Schools’ was born, attracting wide media attention and an instant fan base.
The summer of 2001 saw the long awaited release of the band’s debut full length album ‘United By Fate’ through Schreifels’ old ‘Quicksand’ label, Island Records.
The album contains some truly creative and inspirational songwriting and song construction with an explosive energy behind it that clearly floods through from the songs. The guitars deliver a layered and chunky wall of thick riffage that blasts throughout the CD. Schreifels’ vocals are rough and gritty which complements the desperate sound that the group produce.
The album includes the hit single “Used For Glue” that delivers a simple but meaty riff that is the tracks foundation. Awesome in its simplicity, the song is a sing-along anthem even after the first listen. As for the rest of the album, it’s packed with a diverse range of different song styles that still have the same ‘Rival Schools’ seal of quality. The album is definitely a ‘grower’, but persistence does pay off in the end.
A very, very highly recommended album.
on 3 March 2002
I was a massive Quicksand fan so I was straight out to buy this album the day it came out. Having played it to death for the past months I can heartily recommend it to anybody. It is wonderful to hear a band who know how to blend melody, dynamics and interesting lyrics. Special mentions must go to 'Undercovers On', 'Good Things' and the hit-to-be 'Used for Glue'.
Check out the Rival Schools vs Onelinedrawing album that proceeded this. It's different but equally compelling.
on 5 February 2002
Heard Used For Glue. Found the album on offer. Bought it. The rest is history...
This is a class effort - even if Schreifels sounds too much like Eels' 'E' on occasion.
'United By Fate' makes a definite change from nu-metal (don't get me wrong, I bought Hybrid Theory). We've got a bit of a sleeper hit on our hands here!
Stand-out tracks: Travel By Telephone, Everything Has Its Point, the chirpy Good Things and the single Used For Glue.
on 4 March 2002
This is actually bloody good. To me this sounds post-grunge mixed with emo. Loads of great hooks here to keep you occupied. If you've heard "Good Things" and "Used For Glue" and loved them, you'll love this album. A positive album, a nice break from the exhausted numetal and one beat (fast, snare drum bass drum bass drum snare drum - yawn) SoCal punk music.