Customer reviews

Spirit Of Love
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 July 2001
On first hearing the overall tone of this album can seem rather sombre,even depressing, but there are enough pleasing instrumental touches and intruiging lyrics to bring you back for further listens. Gradually realisation dawns that in C.O.B., Incredible String Band founder Clive Palmer had hit upon a formula which brought him near to the greatness being achieved by messrs. Williamson and Heron (at least in artistic terms). Clive sings and plays with his trademark zen-like simplicity throughout, although there is nothing simple about the spiritual depths of meaning in the lyrics of such songs as the title track (featuring some lovely guitar playing by producer Ralph McTell), Evening Air and Serpent's Kiss. For some reason "Wade in the Water" appears to be absent from the CD track listing - hopefully that is just an oversight as it is a powerful closer to side 1 of the vinyl album. It is a mystery how both this album and the following "Moyshe McStiff" were largely ignored by the record buying public and became collector's items, but this re-issue should encourage the still-growing army of ISB fans to discover one of the true greats of the British folk scene in one of his most creative periods.
on 17 December 2006
I have this album on vinyl in my (now hardly used) collection of folk back in the UK so was thrilled to find it on CD as well as the subsequent Moyshe McStiff album. Every time I play these 2 CDs, memories flood back from my youth. The music ranks up there with the very best in my extensive collection. All of the tracks are high quality, but if I had to choose just one for my desert island disc, I would be torn between 'Wade in the Water', 'Spirit of Love' or 'Soft Touches of Love'. It is a great shame that the trio stayed together for such a short period and that they only left us with the 2 refreshing masterpieces, but for that we shold be thankful!
on 18 June 2014
The driving force behind this band was founder member of the Incredible String Band Clive Palmer, who left the ISB after their first album to travel for several years in India and the Middle East. When he returned he put togther this outfit, who recorded this and the even better Moyshe McStiff and the Tartan Lancers of the Sacred Heart album. The second track Music Of The Ages is probably the highlight, and it was compiled on the Electric Psychedelic Sitar Headswirlers compilation. The rest of the album is pretty good, but it's their follow-up album mentioned above which is their classic, although sadly it turned out to be their swansong.
on 15 February 2011
Despite viewing the Incredible String Band as my personal favourite "group" ever, I have never made much effort to search out Clive Palmer's post ISB work. I don't much like his contribution to the "reformed" ISB, and about the only piece of his work that I rated was his 1999 collaboration with Robin Williamson "At the Pure Fountain" which is excellent. So this album "Spirit of Love" came right out of leftfield for me, and it's an absolute revelation. Similar to the ISB in the sense that it's quite unique, it's also very different to the ISB itself. There are some lovely melodies here, some highly individual singing, and some great instrumental playing and, strangely enough for me at least, it's produced by Ralph McTell who contributes some stellar guitar work. Way superior to any of the more recent so-called "acid folk" work that I've heard. Highly Recommended
on 18 June 2016
Great stuff, perhaps not as consistent as 'Moyshe McStiff' but still a very interesting recording. If you have any interest in British acoustic music of the 60s/70s this should be in your collection.
on 31 October 2015
don't know how i missed this , a wonderfully evocative piece of music recalling an england that has gone.
wistful, nostalgic and utterly beautiful
on 22 May 2012
Being an ageing hippy who remembers the Incredible String Band first time around I was really looking forward to hearing this CD. I never knew what happened to Clive Palmer after he left ISB. I was intrigued to find out what he had been up to. So how was it? well, it was good but not great. The songs were nearly all good - both words and music. They were well played and well sung. I particularly liked clives singing - his voice had a kind of spare simple purity which really suited the material. However it did lack the magic spark of the ISB and you just can't help comparing. Don't get me wrong, it's a CD I will definately listen to from time to time but I'm afraid it wont be at the top of my list.
on 31 October 2014