Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 July 2017
All fine! Thanks! AAA
on 17 April 2002
Pete Yorn's debut album reminds me a lot of 'Grace' by Jeff Buckley but not for the usual reasons. Pete Yorn's voice is nothing like Buckley's, in fact he reminds me of J.Mascis from Dinosaur Jnr. However, it is his mixed up style of American folk and country meets British indie and pop that I believe is similar. Both crooners were obviously die-hard Smiths fans. As well as the pure joy and excitement that this album contains. I really haven''t heard anyone else that sounds as in love with their craft since 'Grace'. I hope that Pete Yorn can continue to make such astounding music into the future. I predict that this album will be a real slow burner but don't be surprised to see it on many a rock critics end of year list. Standout tracks include 'Song For Nancy'. What a corker!
on 6 June 2002
Pete Yorn is a real talent who on the merits of this first offering will go far. From the opening crackling lines of 'Life On A Chain' to the closing, beautifully crafted 'Simonize' this album rarely falters. Yorn shows great competence in taking on a variety of styles yet retaining a distinctive sound. 'Simonize' could indeed be a lost Simon & Garfunkel tune whereas 'Black' sounds like classic Pavement. Multi-instrumentalist Yorn is said to write most of his songs starting with a drum beat and the presence of some interesting rythmns would suggest this may well be the case.
Comparisons to Ryan Adams have been made but Pete Yorn's sound is on the whole quite different. However, both share a similar ear for melody and pursue similar styles of music. 'Musicforthe morningafter' is undoubtedly a grower and given a few plays really comes into its own. There are stilla couple of tracks that I haven't quite got into yet but on the whole this is a very impressive debut that bodes well for the future. Check it out!
on 13 April 2007
There was such a buzz about Pete Yorn a few years back,(Reviews in Vogue background music in American Drama's) I thought by now he would be a household name, but it's a fickle world and so here we are Pete is still farily underground, but still churning out music as good as this album which was his debut.

What you get is a great singer songwriter who can replicate songs with a band (as you get on his albums) or with simple acoustic guitar when he wants to go it alone. What this proves is the songs are strong, and along with clever lyrics this all gels for a great album. Listen to Life on a Chain or Just Another(Loved by my Wife who heard it in an episode of Dawson's Creek just before Damien Rice's Blowers Daughter kicked in and stole the show) to get the Pete Yorn experiance.

If you like Damien Rice, or even Paulo Nutini, take a chance on Pete Yorn.
on 14 November 2003
I have put off writing this review for far too long, and now is the time for me to do it!
I first heard Pete Yorn in 2002 when I purchased the Spiderman soundtrack and heard his song 'Undercover'. I was amazed by the track and I just knew I had to buy the debut album of this virtually unknown bloke.
The album was nothing like anything I had listened to before. It quite literally is music you can listen to on any morning. With laid back tracks such as 'Lose You' and 'Sleep Better' mixed in between up beat ones such as 'Murray' and 'Black', the album has a brilliant playlist so much so that you don't ever have to skip a track.
If you have ever seen the films 'The Sweetest Thing' or '40 days and 40 nights', you would have come across the song 'Strange Condition', which I feel is one of the best and well written songs on the album. You'll never grow tired of it.
I have no favourite track on this because I love them all too much, but if I was forced to choose one, it would have to be the simply beautiful 'On Your Side'. The lyrics and melody are just so simple, no one would ever think to have done anything like that. But Pete has. Pure genius.
on 4 February 2004
Musicforthemorningafter is an excellent album - and is definitely a grower. I bought it after hearing 'For Nancy' - a great rock track with a great riff. That track however is probably not representative of the album as a whole - but that's not a criticism. The album is full of great melodies and is an album which you can listen to again and again without getting bored. Okay so Pete Yorn wears his Smiths influences on his sleeve, but that's no bad thing! Most unususally for me, this is one album where I love each track - like I say - all killer no filler.... I would highly recommend this album - you'll like it and then grow to love it! C'mon people tell your friends!
on 30 April 2015
Undiscovered talent in the UK..God knows why as hes very good
on 6 July 2004
I bought this CD not having ever heard of Pete Yorn, just on a recomendation from a friend. There aren't many albums which you can say you like every track, but music for the morning after is definatly one. A great album and a must for fans of soft guitar rock. (plus it only costs 6 quid on amazon, so definatly buy it!)
on 4 November 2004
Pete yorn is a musical and lyrical genius, this album has great songs from start to finish and i cant fault it in any way. Life on a chain is my favourite from the album which is very hard to actually choose a favourite from. Saw Pete in birmingham last year and hes even better live......if you ever get the chance then its a must....id give it 10 stars if i could!
on 3 May 2002
This is a really nice album. More than anything it sounds like Eddie Vedder going solo and doing a load of the more ballad sounding Pearl Jam stuff. And that's okay by me.