Customer reviews

We Want Miles
Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£68.20+ £1.26 shipping

on 11 May 2000
The live album, "We Want Miles", was the record that first got me into Miles Davis, and it remains a great introduction to Miles' early eighties comeback.
The CD version has been edited slightly from the original double album, but it's six tracks still clock in at over 75 minutes!
Recorded in New York, Boston and Tokyo, most of the material here has been taken from the "Man with the Horn" album. As usual, Miles gets the most from his young, enthusiastic band with Marcus Miller (bass), John Schofield (Guitar) and Bill Evans (Soprano Sax) on particularly good form (the latter's soling on "Kix" is one of the album's many highpoints).
The stand-out track is the 20+ minute, radical re-interpretation of Gershwin's "My Man's Gone Now", which Miles first performed on "Porgy and Bess".
Overall the album has a spacious, funky feel to it and, despite his illness, Miles is clearly enjoying himself.
A superb introduction to late period Miles.
11 Comment| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 July 2017
Quite possibly my favourite Miles album in a large collection....!!
Live recording from 1981....
Particularly fine contributions from Bill Evans(sax) and Mike Stern(guitar).....
The passion in the whole band's performance is palpable
Highly recommended.....!!
on 19 October 2012
Always been a fan of Miles Davis. This live album from 1982 puts him together with a young Marcus Miller. It is as good as it gets, the interaction between them along with the rest of the excellent band is so cool. The counterpoint between trumpet and twanging base guitar is amazing. Every track is great. You wont be disappointed.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 December 2013
'We Want Miles' is one of those albums from later in the career of Miles Davis that either gets overlooked or rather taken for granted. It really needs to be reassessed, Miles has assembled a great band, the recording is detailed and vivid and the performances focused yet loose. Miles himself is in good form with few hints of fragility. The band cooks. Mike Stern plays his trademark rock-meets Be-Bop solos, solos that are not far short of electrifying. He might just the star of the band. Bill Evans on sax provides plenty of additional excitement with contributions. The anchor of course is bass man Marcus Miller. He has the funk and can swing when required but he is at the centre of the rhythmic pulse at all times, keeping things together with his fluid melodic lines.

The purpose of the album is really to get the message out that the come-back material from albums like 'Man with the Horn' was very much a part of his new direction. Yet as tracks like 'My Man's Gone Now' demonstrate he was willing to refashion old tunes to fit the rockier edge in the music.This period marked a time when Miles was trying to move his ideas in to more accessible areas without compromising the 'free ' element of the music. It all works beautifully. The material is uniformly strong. Unlike the open ended jams that characterise albums like 'Live at Filmore East', here the tracks, long though they are, have a structured composed feel that allow for improvisation without wandering excessively.

'We Want Miles' is a great album. It will bear repeated listening. The level of individual musicianship and group interplay is sufficiently sophisticated to interest even the most jaded ears.
Recommended.
on 7 May 2009
Miles Davis,he was burdened with a grave duty of post contemporary jazz and leading the jazz music,has released "The Man with The Horn" in the world on 1981.And the king of jazz has rivived or he has rivived and has become the king of jazz both name and reality.
On 1982 he has released "We Want MILES". And he got Grammy!
"JEAN PIERRE" :This boy's name is the name of a son of Miles's wife,Frances.I remember the west open ground of shinjyuku in Tokyo,Japan,it's already cold autumn evening on 1981 and Miles looked like a little sick so I thought that he could not play for long time. But I was very glad and happy to watch him and listen his play at live. When first storong electric base was played by Marcus Miller,I remembered "Bitches Brew" and felt tention. But after that Miles plays so cute pop tune by his horn just like dandling a baby on his knees. It is very simple,happy and humorous melody we cannot forget once we listen. I think it is like Japanese children's song,the flower of tulip or Mr.moon. And I think this tune is becoming to Miles world people should be wanted and loved.Then Mike Stern plays rock guiter and Bill Evens plays popy sax on rock rythm by Macus and Al with its theme. And I wonder Miles's trumpet is shouting at the last of melody. I remember Miles played again this tune for encore that day. So "JEAN PIERRE" was etced in my mind forever that hot evening of Miles,there might be certainly Miles moon in autumn sky on Oct.4th 1981. And on the year "We Want Miles" was released Michael Jackson released "THRILLER",you know. And today I listened again "Beat it" "The Girls is Mine" "Billie Jean" and "Human Nature" Miles played in "You're Under Arrest".
"BACK SEAT BETTY":This is live version of "Back Seat Betty" in "The Man With The Horn".On steps jazzy rock beat by Macus and AL Miles plays fanky and beautiful solo and I feel so good to listen.Betty is the name of his wife,the girl of record jacket of "FILLES DE KILIMANJARO". And this tune was made for her by Miles. Anyway he is driving fast and hot and must be very happy,I think so.
"FAST TRACK":This is fast track of "Aide". Aide is a imaginary eagle having two head. "Aide" looks like the theme tune of Miles in "The Man With The Horn" and I think "Aida" means the power both jazz and rock. As it were "FAST TRACK" is fast version of "Aide" in "The Man With The Horn" ,but of cause this fast track of "Aide" is more thrilling and exciting. I feel like Aide having the power both jazz and rock is roaring.
"MY MAN'S GONE NOW":This is a sad ballad of George Gershwin's "Porgy and Bess". Though he played "My man's gone now" under the direction of Gil Evans too,I like this way of "We Want Miles" more than the way being conscious of classical music. He expresses fanky rock Gershwin with his splendid ballad play payed his respect to Gershwin again. The sorrow of Bess is played and sometimes shouted by beautiful solo of Miles,Bill and Mike on fanky base and rock beat.
"KIX":I think this theme Miles play is so warm,soulful and nostalgic like motown sound. So I think "Kix" is the tune Miles expressed his heat to Boston,Kix,seems music club people can dance, and soul music,rythm & blues. But their plays are getting hotter and hotter,from 2 beat to 4 beat sing,and from 4 beat to 8 beat,and more from 8 beat to 16 beat with African percussion. We can listen fast amaging solo of Miles,Bill Evans and Mike Stern. Kix's theme is so warm and soulful that we may think this tune is nostalgic tune,but this tune is expressed the changing of various beat,and this beat is changing from soul and blues to hard rock.
What does the design of this record jacket mean? The title of "We Want MILES" let me remember the words of "We Love Elvis" when he released "Elvis in Hawaii". And Miles stand dropping his head and playing his trumpet powerfully in the yellow background. Then I found that the yellow color of rasta color means the sun.And red means blood and green means nature. So I think this record jacket of "We Want Miles" is expressed that the man with the horn,the king of jazz, has revived and hold the Aida and stand and is playing trumpet heart and soul shouldering with "We Want Miles" on his back in the sunshine. This cover photo of Miles Davis was taken by Yoshihesa Yoneda. I think that this record jecket of the son of the sun,Miles and yellow background and the white letters of "We Want MILES",is so beautiful.
on 6 February 2013
Even though miles sounds a bit strained in places, these live recordings pack plenty of punch.
Some nice guitar work from mike stern added with marcus millers strong bass. .The sound quality
is a little harsh in places, but overall this is a great session
on 7 March 2014
This is a really good live album. The best release during the Marcus Miller era. The slightly disappointing thing about the previous CD release of this album was that some of the tracks had been trimmed to fit on a single CD without pushing the capacity of that technology to its limits.

The great thing here is you have all the original tracks as they were on the double vinyl release as well as the 3 additional tracks that were on the Japanese release Miles! Miles! Miles! That album shared some track with We Want Miles (some were pretty much the trimmed versions that appeared on the original CD version of this album)

I know that I am a bit of a completeist so although I already had the single CD version of this and Japanese album , was still worth getting

I originally could not find this 2 CD version as an MP3 download. The Amazon link on the 2 CD verson links to the MP3s of the single CD version but search under MP3 rather than Music and you'll find it. I downloaded it as single track from multi-album CD boxed set MP3s "The Perfect Miles Davis Collection" at only slight extra cost.
on 10 May 2009
On 1982 he has released "We Want MILES". And he got Grammy!
"BACK SEAT BETTY":This is live version of "Back Seat Betty" in "The Man With The Horn".On steps jazzy rock beat by Macus and AL Miles plays fanky and beautiful solo and I feel so good to listen. Betty is the name of his wife,the girl of record jacket of "FILLES DE KILIMANJARO". And this tune was made for her by Miles. Anyway he is driving fast and hot and must be very happy,I think so.
P.S. This CD is original recoding remastered and in fact I think that the tone quality of this CD is very good! And I'm fond of red disk written MASTER SOUND and drawed the image of Miles by gold. I don't know but it is probable that Miles will necessarily like this becouse of good sound quality.
on 11 August 2013
Quirky but interesting as Miles always is. I am sure it will grow on me once I have listened to it several times. His later recordings are not among my favourites but he is always worth a listen!
on 6 January 2007
Its possibly my favourite miles album

Definate sense of everything being glued together by band communication

oh and the guitarist is not john scofield but Mike Stern