Canon EF 100 mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens
Style: EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 15 October 2016
Please note - some of the reviews here are for the non-L macro lens. Just to be clear, this is for the Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM Lens.

This is, quite honestly, a stunning lens - and I write as someone who has several L-series lenses. Image quality is startling - better than my go-to EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM; colour rendition faithful and bright. (Of course, it is a prime lens, but even so.)

As a walk-around lens, this has performed well for me as a medium telephoto - making me think about composition and using the "foot-zoom" has been fun. It is very well made and solid in feel without being heavy - as you'd expect from an L-series lens, build quality is excellent.

But of course it is the macro performance that is the best feature of this lens. Close focus is excellent, and the (supplied) lens hood allows you to get very close to the subject without worrying about contact with the glass - a real benefit of the 100mm macro lens against those with shorter focal lengths. The aperture of 2.8 is fast enough for hand-held performance in decent light - of course, at this aperture depth of field is VERY narrow: see the picture of the caterpillar for an image captured at f2.8; the burnets were captured at f5.6 - you can see the wider depth of field; the (white and pink) Great Masterwort was taken at f20.

In short, this is probably my favourite lens. I'd give 6 stars if I could!
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
9 people found this helpful
on 16 November 2017
Used for taking shots of bugs, especially timid ones where I need a bit more reach on the lens without having to be a few inches away from the subject. Autofocus is blisteringly fast and made even better with the fact you can adjust the focal range with a switch on the side of the lens. Image quality - even on a cropped sensor camera is stunning. In my opinion, definitely worth the price, feels good, takes great shots and can feel the quality. Comes with a lens hood which can be turned around and stored on the lens when not in use (at the trade off with been able to use manual focus).
All in all, incredibly happy with it although now after getting my first 'L' series lens - I want to upgrade all of my other lenses to 'L' too...best get saving.
One person found this helpful
on 11 August 2015
Having had this lens for just over a week now thought I'd upload a review. Beautiful to hold, solid quality build. I've coupled this with my 7D and having so much fun haven't had time to try it on my 40D or 350D (I'm a Canon junkie :) ). The images are beautifully sharp as you'd expect from an "L" lens. No focusing problems whatsoever, a real joy to use. I love flower / macro photography and the bokeh from this lens is gorgeous.

This is my 4th "L" lens and is fast becoming a favourite. Highly recommended!
5 people found this helpful
on 21 April 2017
What a lens.

The IS helps a lot on this model if you like to wander round the garden (like me) and shoot hand held. Everything is smooth and creamy for macro, and pin sharp if you use it as a general prime lens. Probably one of the most versatile and best quality lens I have used, and I have a few L series lens for my 7D.
4 people found this helpful
on 12 December 2014
As a very amateur photographer, with a keen interest in nature, I did think about this for a while before buying as obviously it's not that cheap. But I am so glad I did! I used it on a photography day for insects/reptiles and I have to say the detail was fantastic -much better than I was getting with close up filters and a bog standard lens. I also used this for a portrait photography class and managed to take some great pictures - so much so the tutor asked me if I had cropped them at all.

I'm not an expert and I still have lots to learn but I love this lens. I can't wait until the spring when all the insects reappear so I can get back outside to photograph. I'm hoping with the use of a tripod, which I have yet to buy, I will be able to see just how much detail this lens can give. Highly recommend.
6 people found this helpful
on 24 November 2017
It's on Black Friday deals 2017 at 799, but I purchased this lens full price from new (Amazon) a few months ago for £685. So the deal price is £114 more than the normal price? Don't buy it - wait for a better price.

Token review: it's a great lens, I'm on my second copy in 10 years, wouldn't swap it for the world. Great for portraits, good in the studio, and wonderful for chasing pieces of dust or bugs if that's your thing. As for me, this is a no-brainer for weddings and product photography.
One person found this helpful
on 6 February 2018
This is a great lens - extremely sharp for macro photography. I toyed with the idea of buying the cheaper (non-L) version and also buying a Canon ring flash but I'm glad that I opted for this lens instead. The image stabilisation is really useful if you want to try to shoot handheld and you can get extremely cheap ring flashes that work really well.

You can couple this lens to an extender if you also mount an extension tube between the camera body and lens. The cheapest canon extension tube is fine. This combination can increase the magnification for macro to greater than life size (on the sensor).

I picked this up at a promotional price when there was also a cash-back offer from Canon, so it was ridiculously cheap. Definitely pays to watch out for offers, both from Amazon and also from Canon.
on 22 June 2015
This is a fantastic lens. Pin sharp with a smooth and creamy bokeh. The IS system is very effective but you will still need a tripod if you are focusing down to 1:1 or thereabouts. Use the focus limiters as you will find it tends to hunt quite a lot if you are not in the right range. The biggest thing you need to know about this lens it to make sure the IS system has stopped running and is "parked" before you remove it from the lens. I have not done this a couple of times in haste and it leaves the inner element in a free state, rather than being locked safely in place, rattling around inside the body, which can be a bit scary initially and could cause damage over time if not addressed. However, the two times I have had this happen, it has not caused any damage whatsoever and the lens is still in perfect condition and functionality. Well worth every penny of the price. It is a bargain in my mind and is rarely off my camera. I also use it as a general walk-about lens for landscapes and portraits etc. However, it is, as I said, pin sharp and can show up details that you might not want to see! ;-)
3 people found this helpful
on 14 April 2018
I absolutely love this lens. I am just an amateur photographer and debated with myself for quite a while whether it was worth paying this amount. I finally ordered it when there was a discount, so paid just under £700. It is worth every penny. It is quite hefty once on the 80D body, but it is on the tripod more often than not anyway. The quality of photos, straight out of the box without much practice, is superb.

Delivery, as usual with Amazon, was quick and as promised, and it was well packed.
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 19 April 2015
A friend suggested that I upgrade my camera lenses, to the Canon F2.8 throughout lenses, and so I said goodbye to my Tamron 90mm Macro and got this beauty.

Well, I have just come back from my first day shooting.

To test the lens I decided to do handheld shots with the IS on.

Just look at the image to see the detail captured.

The focusing is very fast and assured.

The motor is near silent.

The image quality, well it far exceeds expectations, the sharpness is superb.

I could not be more impressed.
review image