Customer reviews

Style: EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM|Change

Please note - some of the reviews here are for the non-L macro lens. Just to be clear, this is for the Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM Lens.

This is, quite honestly, a stunning lens - and I write as someone who has several L-series lenses. Image quality is startling - better than my go-to EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM; colour rendition faithful and bright. (Of course, it is a prime lens, but even so.)

As a walk-around lens, this has performed well for me as a medium telephoto - making me think about composition and using the "foot-zoom" has been fun. It is very well made and solid in feel without being heavy - as you'd expect from an L-series lens, build quality is excellent.

But of course it is the macro performance that is the best feature of this lens. Close focus is excellent, and the (supplied) lens hood allows you to get very close to the subject without worrying about contact with the glass - a real benefit of the 100mm macro lens against those with shorter focal lengths. The aperture of 2.8 is fast enough for hand-held performance in decent light - of course, at this aperture depth of field is VERY narrow: see the picture of the caterpillar for an image captured at f2.8; the burnets were captured at f5.6 - you can see the wider depth of field; the (white and pink) Great Masterwort was taken at f20.

In short, this is probably my favourite lens. I'd give 6 stars if I could!
review image review image review image review image
on 26 July 2017
I was a little worried at spending this much on a lens, but when I was doing close ups of wild flowers and saw a demonstration of defensive aeroplanes overhead, I was amazed to zoom in on it and take photos of the flares going off! Though at a distance, I could identify the aeroplanes from my photograph. Now, that is a miracle! The results have been very pleasing on the flowers too, as there is always a sea breeze here so photography at that range has been hit and miss before. The stabiliser is obviously brilliant! I used to hold my breath to take my close ups with my 7.99 tubes which could get closer, but now, if I remembered to, I could breathe, I reckon! Well worth the outlay and another brilliant lens from Canon. I am using the first two photographs to illustrate how pollen grains show up, indicating the quality. The rest are just examples, but taken on the first time I attached the lens.
review image review image review image review image
on 11 August 2015
Having had this lens for just over a week now thought I'd upload a review. Beautiful to hold, solid quality build. I've coupled this with my 7D and having so much fun haven't had time to try it on my 40D or 350D (I'm a Canon junkie :) ). The images are beautifully sharp as you'd expect from an "L" lens. No focusing problems whatsoever, a real joy to use. I love flower / macro photography and the bokeh from this lens is gorgeous.

This is my 4th "L" lens and is fast becoming a favourite. Highly recommended!
Awesome. Clarity is astonishing. Difficult to use in AF mode via viewfinder when true 1:1 macro shooting - best to select single-point AF, focus reframe breathe out gently and gently shoot. Or use tripod and touch-screen focus and shoot in Live View. Such an amazing improvement on my older non-USM 100mm f/2.8 macro lens, for my type of hand-held close-up and macro photography,
on 21 April 2017
What a lens.

The IS helps a lot on this model if you like to wander round the garden (like me) and shoot hand held. Everything is smooth and creamy for macro, and pin sharp if you use it as a general prime lens. Probably one of the most versatile and best quality lens I have used, and I have a few L series lens for my 7D.
on 13 June 2017
Delivered on time and well packaged. I love this lens, I have been sat in a field or a hedge for the last few days totally addicted! This lens is really good quality and easy to use. Nice weight, not too heavy. It comes with a hood and lens bag. I recommend this, great product.
on 29 June 2017
As always with Canon lenses you know what you pay for you get in terms of quality and reliability . The Canon EF 100mm f2.8 macro lens is pin sharp and for all my detailed filming work this is the essential workhorse. MP
on 26 October 2016
Great lens ! It makes really crisp and colorful images . Perfect quality from Canon as usually .
on 1 January 2017
quality as always from Canon... beautiful macro pics are taken now
on 29 March 2017
Great lens and arrived promptly, very happy customer!