Customer reviews

Eldorado
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 September 2008
I bought this as a risk purchase as my third option in a three for two HMV deal and didn't unwrap it for over a year. What a gem to finally find..its the familiar ELO sound but Jeff Lynne was well on his way to a creative peak with this early album. Don't be put off by the 'concept' album label...you can ignore all that and also all the hoary lyrics. None of that matters as the tunes and instrumentation are superb. It wasn't instantly appealing but I put it on a couple of times in the background and now I can't stop playing it. I get snatches of the songs in my head all day. I'm not a huge ELO fan and I only have their greatest hits vols I and II but this has made me want to try more of their complete albums.
on 25 April 2006
This is the best of all of ELO's albums, being not as harsh as their early experimental work, neither as over synthesised or over produced as later albums. The album of course benefits from the use of a large orchestra accompanying the main players but this only enhances the fantasy soundscape Jeff Lynne was trying to produce. Standout tracks for me are "Laredo Tornado" I love the bluesy bass line in parts and "Mister Kingdom" the way it goes lifts you up in a crescendo then calms you down again, Brilliant! But hey all the tracks are great! If you only ever buy one ELO album, don't buy one of the multitude of greatest hits, buy THIS!
on 12 April 2008
I am just reviewing the main extra track here, as all the other reviews tell you what you need to know about the main album.
I got this as a 2-4-1-pack (Eldorado plus Secret Messages)in a clever but cheap cardboard sliding (aka scratching) sleeve, but the CDs inside are gems.
I bought the Eldorado extended edition because I had always wanted the Instrumental Medley bonus track. It's exactly what I had expected - some of the orchestral / band 'backing tracks' (no voices) all joined up into an 8-minute mini-overture - just like you're at the opera! It's def worth getting for this extra. Ideally, it would be at the start of the album, to settle you down ready for the main album, overture-style. (You can even have an 8-minute karaoke session on your way to/from work.)
I always thought of the album as a mini-pantomime soundtrack, with the whole recording being quite 'close' - you are in a small local theatre rather than a massive concert hall as the later albums. My vinyl album was very fuzzy, but this remaster is excellent - all the orchestral instruments loud and clear, adding to the magical 'school orchestra and local opera group/drama group' effect. All the ideas that came to fruition a little later (as other reviews) are in place, but with the production a tad under budget. But this is part of the charm. There is a strange magic ;-) to this whole album - a Christmas feel to it. I give it 4 stars because there is no 4.5; and New World Record probably pips it, as nothing will top the last 3 minutes of that one - and there are plenty of other ELO albums just as good or better. The triple box (or, rather, 'book') set is great, too, if still available.
The 2nd extra bonus track is a throwaway 45 second add-on.
I hope that helps if you're looking to buy the extended edition.
on 31 August 2015
I've spent years listening to ELO, but only greatest hits compilations. Only recently have I started branching out & listening to their studio albums in full. I have several of them now & realise I've really missed out by not hearing the unreleased album tracks.
This is like nectar to the ears. Although different to what may be considered the trademark ELO sound it's an absolute treat. The melodies conjure up images of epic landscapes & classic fantasy films.
You realise how good a band are when you start forgetting the singles & paying more attention to the unreleased album tracks. Highlights are Boy Blue, Laredo Tornado, Poor Boy, Nobody's Child & Eldorado. That said, there is not a weak track to be found; varied but consistent in quality.
Other album recommendations are 'Out Of The Blue' & 'A New World Record'; these are both brilliant, although I think based on the number of plays this has to be my favourite. Highly recommended.
on 21 August 2006
I originally owned this album on vinyl and I never listened to it that much, mainly because the sound quality was dreadful (it must just have been a bad copy). Then I decided to give it another chance recently after reading all the rave reviews on here and ordered a copy on CD. Well, I was not disappointed, the sound quality on CD gave the album a completely new lease of life and I wish now that I had updated this excellent album years ago.
Good though it most certainly is,I would not go as far as some of the reviewers on here who claim that its E.L.Os most accomplished album.Personally, I would rate this slightly behind A New World Record, Out Of The Blue and the awesome Face The Music which surely has to be their finest hour. That said, it's all pretty academic really, because all four albums are great and any self respecting E.L.O fan should have the lot in their collection!
on 15 October 2007
This is a criminally under-rated, great concept album from the 1970s. When it was re-issued on CD, one reviewer wrote: "Lennon and McCartney would have been proud to have written some of these songs" - and I heartily agree.

The album deals with a depressed, disillusioned bank clerk in a dead-end job, who is summoned in a midnight dream by one of the sirens of mythology.("Can't Get it out of My Head")

He undergoes visions of an imaginary world, where he can be anyone he wants to be - a soldier returning home from the Crusades with tales of bloodshed ("Boy Blue"), a noble Native American Chieftan ("Laredo Tornado") or even Robin Hood ("The Greenwood").

The disparity between his exciting dreamworld and his grey, purposeless existence becomes too much to bear. Eventually after pleading with God ("Mr Kingdom") and seeking psychiatric help for his recurring visions ("Illusions in G Major"), the protagonist reaches a resolution to his struggle ("Eldorado"). Has he achieved enlightenment, gone mad, succumbed to drug-induced delirium or taken his own life? The listener must decide.

The late-Beatles-influenced songwriting is excellent, with imaginative use of a small orchestra (the pizzicato strings on "Boy Blue" being a good example). Jeff Lynne has never been the world's best lyricist, but some of his most inspired moments are here - I have always loved the lines "Midnight, on the water/I saw the ocean's daughter/Walking on a wave's chicane/Staring as she called my name". A gripping lyrical opening gambit! The song, "Can't get it out of My Head" is a beautiful Lennonesque ballad; Lynne has often been criticised for trying to imitate his hero's vocal style, but - why not, with songs this good?

Another favourite is "Laredo Tornado" which somehow manages to blend Native American rhythms with overdriven guitar and solo cello to magnificent effect. And on the closing track, Lynne sings with real passion, indeed with almost operatic fervour in the final verse. A total masterwork of an album - don't miss out on what in my humble opinion is ELO's finest hour!
on 5 August 2013
Up until now, ELO had been very string quartet in the way they sounded. Now enter Louis Clark's orchestral arrangements and perhaps Jeff getting more to grips with how he wanted to sound across to Tandy and Bevan, and we have the business. A concept album and some mighty fine tracks such as the Intro, Laredo Tornado, Poor Boy, Noboby's Child and Illusions in G Major, and of course Eldorado Finale. It's arguably a bit long in places (Boy Blue) but never has an ELO album had so much variety. A fine listen.
on 2 May 2015
I first heard this many years ago and wore out three vinyl copies. Still got the bright yellow copy version but it does not glow so much in the dark!!!

For me this just has to be played on high volume. The intro builds up from a sci-fi start with a strange voice until the full orchestra takes over into a frenzy, it finally crashes and merges into the sea sounding ballad of "Can't get it out of my head"

The whole album has not dated at all.......still sounds fresh today. You seem to take a journey into many fantasy worlds. Styles in music are sudden mash ups of being in the court of Camelot to a head banging rock concert.

Nobody's child has the feel of being in a sleezy strip club but still compelling to listen to with it's bump and grind beat.

Eldorado is certainly a clever concept album and my favourite of their works. For the price of a download you will be getting an exciting and energetic musical experience.
DO NOT MISS THE CHANCE!!!!!
on 4 March 2016
I was coming home from work the other day and started to sing " I can't get it out of my head " So I went looking for this album on Amazon. The last time I played this album was 40 years ago and to see it out again on C.D. and Digitally remastered which is superior was good news and it was better then the vinyl back in 1974 ! If you never had this C.D. then you need to give yourself time so it will grow on you, and I can tell you this, you will not put it down. The Madness of the rock and roll with the combo of choirs and Orchestra Melodies will blow your mind into a world of never never land, that will make you want more and more.
From the Eldorada Overture at the beginning, to " I can't get out of my head " to Laredo Tomado, Mister Kingdom and the Eldorado Finale. This album is exquisite, exceptional, Timeless and imposing. It will leave a dazzling mark on your mind forever, and like me, you will never forget this Awe-inspiring Album which is called Eldorado !
on 15 January 2014
The first truly conceptual album release from The Electric Light Orchestra sees Jeff Lynne go away from overdubs and employ a full orchestra for the first time (retaining core band string members). I remember this album, at the time of its release, grabbing the attention and interest from the music press. "Can't Get It Out of My Head" was released as a single, and although it did not really make any impression on the UK charts it did start to break them in America. That being said it did not propel them into the megga band they would became (that started with the next album, Face The Music, being a lot more commercial to the ears) but put them on the road to stardom. It is a good album with the core of the band that would stay together through their heady 'Superband' era.(but not great - there were better albums hitting the charts at this very competitive moment in time). If you are a fan of ELO or indeed Jeff Lynne this is a must buy.