Customer reviews

Wives and Daughters [DVD] [1999]
Format: DVD|Change

on 27 April 2017
Very good, although not perfect, adaption of Mrs. Gaskell's most approachable story. Generally well cast, Francesca Annis is excellent as always. Worth getting, as a change from Dickens!
on 28 December 2016
My older daughters , aged 11 and 13, and I watched this together and we loved it! If you like period drama you'll love this. I read the book and the film definitely does it justice .
VINE VOICEon 19 August 2017
After a slow start this story took off. We found it fascinating and so well acted and produced. It is an English Classic of the 19th. Century. There is nothing negative about this purchase an at this price a bargain.
on 29 June 2009
The BBC have given us many excellent versions of classics, but this "Wives and Daughters" takes some beating. The story and the characters are well drawn - and acted. Michael Gambon is excellent as Squire Hamley, and Rosamund Pike in an early role as Lady Harriet is outstanding. Bill Paterson also stands out as Mr Gibson. In fact, there is not a weak spot in the cast, and the story (unfinished by Elizabeth Gaskell) is warm, human and ultimately satisfying. I recommend this wholeheartedly. I find it difficult to imagine anyone not enjoying it.
on 10 June 2017
An enjoyable classic.
on 22 July 2017
Oh I really like this - never saw it on TV. Great cast and superb acting well worth a watch for any period drama addict like me.
on 23 August 2017
Social relations governed by males modified by women in many ways. A picture of what life was not so long ago, a lesson for all
on 13 January 2016
Excellent! One of my favourites. Love the way lives intertwine. Just fabulous entertainment in my opinion and one of my favourites
on 8 September 2017
Very much along the Jane Austen style - same era too. It kept me entertained throughout. Well acted.
on 11 March 2017
A great novel, beautifully adapted and acted by some of our finest actors. All the classic ingredients of a romantic novel, much emulated but probably not improved on in the more than a century since.