Hama SLR Rubber Lens Hood 52mm
Style: 52mm|Change

on 28 November 2016
Really good! I bought it for a Panasonic Leica 24mm f1.4 lens (micro four thirds) and couldn't be happier. It screws on with a high quality thread mount and the rubber hood itself collapses down for simple storage in my bag. Four stars as I think it's a lot of money for what type of product it is, and I'd buy more for my other lenses if cheaper, but it does the job and folds to a much smaller size than the stupid original hood that comes with this particular lens. I've also tried it on the Olympus 17mm f1.8 lens and had no issues with vignetting.
on 4 February 2011
This lenshood is extraordinarily well made for its price. Hama accessories aren't always, their polarisers are a little iffy and wear quickly. This hood feels it will last.

The design harks back to the days when cameras came with a 50mm lens as standard (hence the term, 'standard'.) They didn't come with lenshoods and you'd buy such as this, collapsible for storing in the camera bag or to go in the oft used camera pouch.

For those wishing to use it on a zoom lens, or indeed any lens that this hood was not designed for, DON'T. However good value something is, if it doesn't fit, and thus doesn't work, a complete waste of time.

Using your free hand to block out the sun is better than using the wrong one, or no hood at all. Look to get ONLY the lenshood designed for any particular lens, or as in this case, one made by an independent.
on 24 April 2012
Excellent value, compared to the Nikon. However I've not had the Nikon version so I can't say if it is worth the extra cash.
I bought this for taking pictures of animals at the zoo, many of them are behind glass screens which has caused problems in the past with reflections. It worked well, especially if the shot was obtained with the lens square to the glass.
It is now permanently attached to my 50mm lens as it folds back nicely. I've had no problems with vignetting, even with an additional sky light filter attached.
4 people found this helpful
on 14 December 2015
Screws OK onto the 49mm UV filter attached to my canon 50mm f1.8 lens , but the rubber isn't flush to the base giving an appearance that it isn't fitted properly and looks wonky. I read reviews stating that the lens cap will fit onto the end of the hood, well this is incorrect, my 49mm lens cap won't fit onto the end, which now means I have to faff around screwing and unscrewing the hood when I want to use it. I tried to do it another way around with hood attached to lens and UV filter attached to hood end, but the UV filter won't attach to the hood.

Not recommended , poor purchase. What is the point of having a hood that you cannot attach a lens cap to ? Put an 'r' into "lens cap" and you have my opinion
on 1 July 2009
I used to have a rubber hood on my old film SLR's 50mm lens many years ago, and have been meaning to get one for my DSLR for ages.

This is a great hood, fits the Nikon 50mm D perfectly. The thread is actually metal, which was a surprise for such a cheap hood.

Best of all, as it's retractable you can just leave it on the lens. No need to remove it to put the lens in a bag, plus it gives the lens some cushioning and protection.
14 people found this helpful
on 24 October 2016
Just what I needed for the Panasonic 30mm 2.8 (micro 2/3) macro lens just purchased which only has a screw mount to attach a lens hood. Folds out of the way when not in use.
on 5 February 2016
Excellent lens hood at an attractive price. Good quality item as expected from Hama range of photographic accessories. Well-formed threads for attachment to lens and mounting filters.
on 16 January 2018
Not the cheapest lens hood out there, but very good quality .
on 16 October 2013
great bit of kit, keeps the suns glare off the lens n when it not sunny it just folds back, I also use it when I need to take photos thru glass, because once propped to the glass it shields reflections!!
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 21 June 2011
I prefer the foldable rubber lens hoods before the hard plastic ones. It is always there when you need it and folded back it offers some protections from bumps.
The rubber may die with time, but it is cheap enough to allow me to buy a new one when that day comes.