Customer reviews

Style: 58mm|Change

on 28 June 2017
Hama 48mm Polarizer Filter, Circular.
Ring binds when rotated and does not move smoothly, it appears to be loose in its mounting. The filter also distorts the image and gives poor focus, manual or automatic, especially when using zoom. Used on a Panasonic DMC-G7.
I have another Hama polarizer filter I use on a video camera and that works fine, so could be a quality control issue.
Sent back to Amazon for refund, didn't want to take the chance of receiving another item of similar poor quality.
on 2 March 2009
This is the second Hama circular polarising filter I've bought, the first being for the standard 18-70mm 58mm diameter stock lens that comes with the Sony Alpha 200.
This one is about the same price I paid previously, but much higher quality construction. The rotation is smoothly damped, there's a lever to help with adjustment and it feels very well constructed. I've just had a test shoot and the pictures taken in sunshine in Edinburgh look as good as I hoped for.
Recommended.
on 28 May 2014
This is a filter that really works! And you can use it not only to avoid reflections but to obtain better contrast in every lighting situation especially outdoors. The only negative point is that the surface is prone to fingerprints and a little bit difficult to clean. Recommended!
on 14 April 2013
No problems at all. Delivered on time and correct size. Am a little concerned that the rod for turning the filter could become detached
Having owned a basic DSLR (Nikon D3000) for few months this was recommended to me by somebody who read I like walking. It arrived one Saturday morning, literally as I was packing my rucksack for a very hot 11 miler in the "wilds" of Essex. Once I extracted it from it's bullet-proof box, it screwed on very easily to the standard 18-55mm lens and I was good to go.

With a little practise, the results it produced that day were excellent. Fields that had been suffering in the recent hot spell came back to life. A dull corn field (see my photo) glowed against an even bluer summer sky. Simply rotate the filter with the small lever for the desired effect. Get it right and your pictures will be greatly enhanced, however get it wrong and it's unlikely to be a major disaster. I left it on all day and no pictures came out badly. The differences can at first be very subtle to see through the viewfinder, you do have to concentrate to get the best results. However I'm looking forward to more experimenting with this great value addition to my camera bag.

A great buy for me though it loses a star for the nightmare to open box!
review image
22 Comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought this for Nikon lenses. The filter is a 52mm sizing and simply screws onto the end of your lens. There is a small lever on the filter that enables you to rotate the filter to either increase or decrese the effect. It's that simple! This filter does reduce glare drastically and improve colour depth/saturation of your pictures giving great results. I've taken some test shots with and without the filter through glass windows, using a blue sky as a background on a sunny day, across a river on a very bright day and if required with a little turn of the lever all glare can be reduced and colours enhanced. Of course it's not the camera/lens/filter that make the shot a great one. It's the person taking the shot! I'm sure you've probably taken cracking pics with your mobile phone camera! I can recommend this filter and at this price you can't go wrong.
I have a couple of lenses for micro four thirds cameras that use 37mm filters. This appears to be quite a nice one in that it is the only one that I have that has an adjustment lever at the side. This not only allows easy adjustment but also provides a crude reference point about its alignment.

In its retail pack, the filter appears to have a slight blue tint but is quite neutral. Although intended to reduce glare from certain surfaces, it can also dramatically darken skies and enhance the appearance of clouds. It can also be used as a neutral density filter, allowing use of a wider aperture for greater separation of foreground from background or a slower shutter speed giving a larger degree of movement blur and a greater impression of speed of movement. A minor property is also that it will reduce haze at least as well as a UV filter. Although it will have an impact upon exposure, with modern cameras and their in-built exposure metering, you need make no manual adjustment but just leave it to the camera to resolve.

Not especially expensive in this small size, it makes a useful addition to available kit, even if it will not be a permanent attachment.
on 5 May 2015
I had read in some other reviews about poor quality control at Hama and now I understand why.
Ordered this filter to go on my Sony Alpha 6000 prior to a fortnight's trip to the Hebridean islands which is a photographer's heaven. When the filter turned up I immediately tried to attach it to the camera, as soon as I offered the filter up to the lens I could tell it wouldn't fit as it was too large.
I double checked the filter size on the lens to make sure it wasn't me going mad, nope, definitely 40.5mm. I checked the label on the plastic case, again 40.5mm. When I checked the actual filter it had 50mm written on it.
So this was basically an issue at the factory where someone had put a 50mm filter in 40.5mm box. To say that's a bit of a schoolboy error is an understatement.
So if you're looking for a 40.5mm polariser, I'd certainly go for a different brand as this is probably a batch fault where there's a few thousand of these kicking about. Obviously the same would go if you're looking for a 50mm version as those cases will probably contain the 40.5mm version.
It's too late to get a replacement now and 40.5mm is an unusual size so I'm a bit stuck.
Not exactly pleased with Hama as you can probably imagine.
on 16 August 2010
I have noticed that there are a few negative reviews for this polariser and think this is maybe down to some misunderstanding how it works.

Polarisers usually work best when used at 90 degrees to the sun, so try to shoot with the "sun on your shoulder" to get the optimum effect. Also the height of the sun is going to effect its performance. A polariser won't make a big difference to your photos at midday but will have a more dramatic effect in early morning, late afternoon. Also if using a wide angle lens you are likely to experience only partial polarising effects (dark bands across the sky), this is not the fault of the filter but characteristic of lens/filter combination. When using the filter with a telephoto lens, with their narrow angle of view, you are unlikely to see this effect.

Also the complaint of vignetting is also common when using any filter with a wide angle lens. I would suggest getting a low profile filter for these types of lens.

My own experience of this filter on my 135mm-400mm zoom is very good. When used correctly glare is dramatically reduced and saturation is increased. The Hama filter out-performs my Cokin one and is equal to my Hoya CPL.
44 Comments| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2017