Customer reviews

1,544
Style: EF 50 mm f/1.8 II|Change
Price:£107.31+ Free shipping

on 5 November 2016
 arrived 3 weeks after purchasing and had to sent it back straight...
bought it as new, marks on connection points--my other 2 lenses have no marks after a lots of swaps--

gave it a try ( i shouldnt )
switched on the camera and i was hoping i will have nice sharp and blurry images, got to manual mode and the lens started focusing for like 5-8 seconds and giving me hell loud noises withn some sharp slaps and constant moves and i was shocked.... i knew this lens will be a bit louder than 0 decibel but this one made a journey of a train with a crash,,,
remember, bought as a new...

soon on the phone and the lady(amazon-she was nice and helpful) said that there is no option(on the seller side) for replacement on this item , so i need to purchase it again if i want this...

awesome!

i am a really patient and relaxed guy but this one just made me really angry
really hope this one was the one from million and nobody else will experience this

video uploaded
review image
on 27 June 2017
After years of disappointing point & click and smart photography I bought a DSLR. A prime lens was always going to be one of my first accessories as I knew that I wanted to take better family portrait shots and that the stock lens was not going to give me the background blur I was looking for due to my lack of experience. I experimented for a week before ordering this lens just to make sure this was the right decision which really allowed me to appreciate this choice.

I did look at the "Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens" which seems like a great lens but knowing what I wanted to achieve made me feel comfortable going for the lower aperture of f/1.4 this lens offers.

I am an amateur photographer but have found the lens to be very good at what I need and I'm looking forward to taking more portrait photographs.
on 20 August 2015
Cheap and cheerful (standard? ) lens for Canon. This lens equates to about 80mm when used with a crop frame sensor, as on the Canon 40D/50D. The faster f/1.8 aperture allows it to be a useful portrait lens. Okay it's got a plastic mount but is that really such a drawback? It will stand up to normal use fairly well I would think. Mine is a little bit noisy in focusing but otherwise does the job well. The optics are very good considering the price. Worth a punt I'd say.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 30 August 2011
I too read reports that the (mere) 5 blades in this lens made the bokeh poorer quality compared to other lenses. Maybe in my ignorance I just don't know what to look for, but I don't know what they are talking about. Lens just arrived this past w/e in time for a large family gathering - took a load of pictures with our Canon 60D and the results are simply stunning. Amazing pictures in low light with no flash, and wonderful blurred backgrounds, with no sign of any pentagonal artifacts or highlights.

Cheap? I'll say. Bit light and noisy, and plasticy feel to it? Yes - but who cares? The pictures are what counts. The price/performance ratio makes this a complete no-brainer. Everyone should have this lens in their bag.

Very Very Pleased!
on 17 December 2015
Love this lens, feel free to ask for some sample pictures if you're interested in buying as I've use it for a long time and have even bought one for a friend as a gift and he loves it also.
on 30 May 2013
This lens has a fixed distance, so if you're too close to an object, the slightly clunky and noisy auto focus motor will go into overdrive in attempt to focus. In the long term I can see this wearing out, or breaking the auto focus motor. So I must remember to stay the correct distance away from the object before hand, or, to use manual focus.

This lens is an affordable, functional and good quality lens for those who seek a wide aperture for those extra blurry background shots.
on 15 July 2017
Definitely an upgrade for me but auto focus basically useless if wanting to use for video, the auto focus is insanely loud.
Not a huge problem just need to use manual focus which can be a pain sometimes but the quality of the lens is worth it, nice blurry backgrounds and sharp image.
on 20 November 2016
photos are amazing with my basic canon EOS550D.
on 24 March 2017
without a doubt, the single best lens one can own if you have a canon DSLR. I need say no more, buy it now!!!
on 31 March 2017
Super bit of kit, did exactly what we needed it to