Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 January 2003
It is hard to explain how this music hits you when you first listen to it. It is a jazz-funk-soul-tribal-chillout fusion with a subtle texture that seems as if its barely gracing its beauty on the speakers. It is perfect in every way - two guys from Hull making heaven out of electronica.
Maim that Tune starts off with a funky riff and drowsy beats that develop into a more mature second track, A Zed and Two L's, which is a laid-back fusion of Native American tribal chanting and crystalline synthesizers.
At Home in Space is restful and funky at the same time, with solid bass guitar lines and captivating harmony.
Slacker is probably the best track, with a slowly developing four minute drum sequence broadening out into supersonic effects and loops.
Maim is concluded by Subtle Body, an extremely beautiful chill-out track with chimes and insecessant piano harmony.
Whether a rough day at the office, or just a bad time, an hour of this bliss will send all your worries flying. A must-have.
Fila Brazillia. Two blokes from Hull.
And one of the cornerstones of the evergrowing downtempo movement.
While its basically electronica, Fila Brazillia have a ear for melody and a musical taste that takes in many influences.
And their albums do vary in style and content.
Maim That Tune is very downtempo, smooth, chilled. Its genesis is trancy club music, rather than breakbeat jazz, making it an ideal wind-down to a night out.
Stand-out tracks are Slacker, a hypnotic post-club voyage of trance, and Subtle Body, a zephyr of a track, so gentle it barely caresses your ears.
If you are new to Fila, this is as good a place to start as any. If you are expanding your Fila collection, this is a must have.
on 3 February 2004
I now own a vast amount of Fila albums and this is the one which kicked it off, the one that brought my attention to these musical geniuses.
I actually bought the album because I had vaguely heard of Fila Brazillia, it was cheap and the reviews reckoned it to be one of Filas finest moments and the reviews were not wrong.
The album starts off fairly slow and mellow and peaks with a mix of funky tunes layered with spoken samples. This album is a must if you like electronic music.
A true classic and one of the best from Fila.
on 3 February 2014
You can't get better Fila B than this. This is the greatest of all their albums I think. The guys from Hull are the coolest underground musicians in the UK. Pure ear pleasure, beat fest and melody making coolness. TOTAL Atmosphere is all I can say. Go and get a copy.
on 18 December 2000
This CD is True Relaxation with its fantastic trip-hoppy grooves combined with a Latin Flava! Beatifully constructed soundscapes abound in this eclectic collection. Check out the Bill Hicks monologue on no.7/8. And no.9 carries a health warning for rapid expansion of the mind..!
on 3 February 2005
Fila sure have fired out alot of albums in their time. If I was restricted to only being able to own three I would say that Powerclown, Brazilification 1 and this little gem would be my choices.
Powerclown represents the best of more recent Fila and Brazilificaion 1 is the best of all their remixes, Maim That Tune is possibly the best of all their original works.
There are some simply wonderful spine tingler tracks on here. You can't pigeon the style and they are simple yet oh so effective. After a low key opener you're then treated to one of the best tracks I've ever heard, A Zed And 2 L's. Gentle keys washing over a lazy break with deep sub bass and laid back African chanting switch halfway through as the tempo doubles and the synths and breaks soar around your mind ... all this then gently settles back to its original tempo. Lush!
And its not a one track album either, 6ft Wasp grooves along with a wonderfully dirty funk bassline before a cunning Bill Hicks takes the album into Slacker, a hypnotic house groover. Not like any old house music, driving yet chilled with soft burbling acid synths running through it.
The album rounds off with some lovely laid back ambient moments, ensuring you're taken on the full rollercoaster ride. The boys from Hull on best form.
Ensure that you have this album in your collection SOON.
on 24 May 2005
Maim That Tune is the second album by Fila Brazillia and quite possibly the best in terms of longevity. This is due to the album taking a clear move from the abstract ambience of their first album Old Codes/New Chaos towards the funkier edge that dominates the albums following Maim That Tune, nestling perfectly somewhere between the two differing sounds. This makes the album an instant classic that can be listened to repeatedly due to it having an appeal of being both ambient and funk infused without ever becoming tired.
on 21 February 2005
Ensure that you have this album in your collection SOON.
on 10 October 2006
I am fairly new to Fila's work. I, however, am not unfirmiliar with downtempo and such genres of music. I had heard of Fila from a ways back and kinda forgot about them to be honest. I now listen to these guys almost exclusively and cannot believe their musical taste, it is so freakin' addictive. This album like mentioned by almost everyone else is very smooth and chilled out. I think of everything I have heard this album is the most cohesive and easy to digest. On most albums I find at least half of it toxic, in a good way of course, but the others a little more difficult to really get deep in groove. I am a musician and understand the concept of mixing melodies to create one sound and these guys are maestro's of this art. Album highlights are A Zed & 2 L's, Subtle Body, Leggy, the first track, which I refuse to type out due to the title, and Harmonica's are Shite. These are some of the greatest pieces of music that I am yet to experience. Great piece of music this album is and is unparalled with most electronica that I listen to.
on 27 February 2004
To be honest, I really didnt know what to expect with this cd. I had heard of fila b before, but in my mind I had pretty much thought it would be some kind of jazzy chilled drum and bass or something. Well, Im pretty damn wrong, but thats okay!
This cd really is something different. It is ultimately background music. It doesnt leap out at you. To be honest, half the time it was on I didnt even notice it. but its that subtlety which makes it different. Whenever I did tune in to it, realsising there was music playing I realised I had been bopping along to it in my mind, even if I hadnt noticed.
Towards the end of the album it got so chilled and so subtle that even when I was listening, I couldnt tell for sure whether the sounds were coming or going.
In a nutshell, -I've just re-writeen this paragraph. There is no nutsell. Screw the nutshell. Its electric chill music. Its slow to progress, which can be both good and bad. At times a tad boring. Other times its genius.
To be honest, Im not so sure this is the kind of chill out music I really dig, but it is creative, and chilled, and so individual. I would give it 4 stars because I recognise that it is a very good record. However, since this is an individual review, Im onlu going to award it with3 stars. It is a good cd though. I can perhaps even see myself getting another fila b cd in the future.