on 13 June 2001
Having been slightly disappointed by Ministry's first foray into the world of chillout I was pleasantly surprised by this. It features some excellent tunes and works well as a whole. Highlights include the efforts of The Avalanches, I Monster, Delerium and The Aloof. There is also an excellent remix of Jakatta's "American Dream". For me though the highlight must be the beautiful stripped down sound of Roger Sanchez's "Another Chance". The first CD is particuarly eclectic: opening with Dido whilst Radiohead's haunting "street Spirit (fade out)" brings proceedings to a close. However the inclusion of Pepe Deluxe and Bentley Rythm Ace just doesn't work for me - they're too lively! Overall though I'd recommend this to anyone looking for something to unwind/fall asleep/lounge around in the sun to. It's pretty cool.
on 13 June 2001
Ok. So there are tons of chillout albums out there nowadays. And if you compare them (like i had to)you'll find that theres the usual bunch of tunes - Sueno Latino,Chicane and (dare i say it) William Orbit - on every single one of these discs. That is where the first album failed. Although it was really the first chillout album on the market, the tunes were just all too familiar. Thats where this album comes in. The tunez on this album are completely different, and the best part is that some of them are well known singles!!! This is not what you usually find on a chillout album (OK personally im not that keen on Radioheads new stuff - but the rest of the tracks make up for it) There are some of my favourite records on this - pepe deluxe is THE best new band (you know its that song from the levis ad) and Daydream in Blue blows me away!!! This has a mix of everything, and chilled me out a hell of a lot more that the first session. SERIOUSLY - GET THIS NOW!!!! :o)
on 20 June 2001
SWEET BLISS !!
The first cd includes many great tunes including 'groove armada - at the river', and 'eyemonster - daydream'. Most of the songs on cd1 are amazing, but i would not classify all of them as 'chillout tunes'.tunes such as 'pepe deluxe - before u leave' are excellent,but do somewhat ruin the chillout atmosphere of this cd.
But cd2 is just beautifully put together, and gets me to sleep so fast. tunes like 'faithless-drifting away',and 'delerium-silence' make this album just so COOL!.
The best tune on the whole album by far, is 'zero7 - give it away',and overall i think that there should be a place for this cd in everyones music collection.
If u like chillout,then BUY THIS.
Well done MOS !!!!!!!!!!!
on 28 July 2001
Exactly as my title asks, what the hell have the ministry done. After struggling to make sense of the end of track 1 (Dido-Here With Me) and the trashy mix, I spent the next few minutes trying to figure out WHY mix the avalanches and whatever it is playing in the background. What is that? Perhaps the mixer forgot to turn of the cue button or something. Anyhow the rest of Disc 1 ambles along at a very uninspired pace with a few tracks literally bunged in to make up the numbers. Enough said, I happily discarded Disc 1 and was reluctant to attempt to play Disc 2. Thank god I did, here we are, from the worst that the Ministry can sling together to one of the very best Chillout sessions possible. So, my question still, what happened? I love all types of music and really enjoy the Chillout stuff that is about, but before I buy the next M.O.S installment it will be well listened to before parting with my hard earned dosh. Oh, Disc 2, yes, excellent, if were not for this disc the whole review would probably be unprintable, but, with a well thought out arrangement and at last some good mixing this CD will join the ranks of the ever growing classic chillout grooves available. Come on M.O.S, leave the apprentice DJ's in a booth with no recording output and keep it to CD 2 standard. RIK.
on 19 July 2001
The second compilation from the Ministry of Sound and it's a better effort than the first! The Ministry boffins have searched through a wide variety of genres for that 'chillout' sound - not just in purely electronic albums. There's some well known (and perhaps a bit too obvious) names on hear such as Dido, but the real gems tend to be from some of the lesser known artists. I got into chillout and ambient music about 2 years ago and can thoroughly recommend this album to somebody wanting somewhere to start. Slightly more adventurous souls may wish to check out a few albums I've been recommended lately - FARFIELD's 'Dust and Glass' album (a blissful sonic trip), any album by Brian Eno (the man who invented ambient / chillout) and BIOSPHERE. All of these guys really deliver an atmosperic punch with their music - which perfectly complements the more commercial chillout sound found in this excellent compilation.
on 11 February 2012
I though I would write this review after finding said CD after 10 years in my CD rack. I put it straight on and was taken back to some fun days. Packed with some of the best songs at the time and featuring great tracks from artists that have been and gone.

Really put a smile on my face whilst listening :)
on 14 June 2001
Another nicely downtempo compilation from the Ministry. Tracks span a wide variety of styles; there's a fair few standout singles as well as some very relaxing mellow house. The first half of the first disk is extremely strong, twinning I Monster's "Daydream in Blue" with Groove Armada's "At the River". The collection is fairly eclectic: as with all good compilations, there's something for everyone here. The tracks bounce around in time a bit - it's not all bleeding edge new release, as evidenced by the presence of Bentley Rhthym Ace and Underworld - but that's hardly a bad thing. The liner text basically claims that chillout and the whole chillout scene are a brand-new phenomena of 2001; funny, I remember reading the same sort of thing when The Orb brought ambient to the mainstream in '91... Overall, though, an excellent downtempo compilation that hits the high points of the recent scene with a nod to some older tunes. Highly recommended.
on 12 July 2001
It's so much easier to find many better 'chilled' albums on the market. Anything in the Cafe del Mar or Serve chilled range are much better. MoS just do well as their brand is so well known. But there's so much repetition of tracks like Kinobe, Groove Armada, Smoke City, Dido & I Monster on all the other 'Best ultimate chilled album in the world ever, honest' type compilations it gets so boring that you end up skipping them cuz you've heard them so often.
Don't get me wrong there are several great tracks. Roger Sanchez, Hairy Diamond, Skinny & The Aloof. But overall if you're looking for a chill out album you can do much better elsewhere.
on 20 January 2014
I bought this album many moons ago and have got other Chillout CDs since. I now can't find the original and am happy it is still going. But at a price! Am I surprised, well, I loved it then and I love it now, so I'll be praying I will get it for my birthday so I can get stuck into nostalgia once more...
on 9 July 2005
This was bought as a 2nd copy, one in house now got one for the car, says it all really!