on 24 January 2002
I must voice dissent with the review below. Correctly titled-and-advertised as 'The Definitive Story of 1970s Funky Lagos,' this may or may not be 'definitive' insofar as it's only two discs, but it's certainly funky. Fans of the JBs, or Maggot-Brain-era Funkadelic even, would do well with this set. Dirtier, and more rock-influenced in places than most other Nigerian stuff (Fela, King Sunny etc.) I've heard. Recommended.
on 7 September 2003
Of all the CDs I have bought of recent, Nigeria '70 remains the best. It presents pure African melody in a beautiful rhythm. For once we can listen to something different for a change. However if i may ask , where are those wonderful musicians now?I am talking of the Lijadu sisters, Orlando Julius, Tunji Oyelana etc. This is a collectors item
on 4 December 2001
I bought this CD purely on chance because I liked the cover, put it in my player and was amazed when the audio content inside included some of the funkiest, bass heavy, tight soul jazz I've heard for a long time.
on 14 December 2001
ONE LOOK AT THE COVER OF THIS SUCKER AND ITS IMPOSSIBLE NOT TO ORDER - BUT "FUNKY LAGOS" MAY NOT BE THE PLACE YOU WERE LOOKING FOR...DANCE DEVOTEES FORGET IT AND GO FOR AN AFRICANIZE/ARABESQUE TYPE GROOVE. THIS IS FOR JAZZ COMPLETISTS ONLY TO MY MIND AND A DISAPPOINTING EXEPENSE FOR THOSE LOOKING TO EXPAND THEIR WIGGLE MUSIC A LITTLE. BUT, AS I SAY, IT LOOKS GREAT ON THE RACK...