Format: DVD|Change
Price:£16.95+ £1.26 shipping

on 18 March 2007
I saw this film when it came out in the 80's and have never forgotten it. It has a lovely blend of nostalgia, snobbery and of course the triumph of love. You really should see this!
on 8 August 2008
I have onwned this film for years and have never tired of watching it. The grandmother is priceless. The story is one of an ordinary girl who works with writers and probably sees herself romanically involved with one eventually, until someone comes along, much resisted, who she would never have envisaged herself with. This is her journey from dreams to reality and its earthy and realistic. The acting is superb by all of the cast. There is subtle humour too.
on 7 September 2006
Why isn't this film on dvd with director's commentry etc...

I love this film. It deserves some attention, great writting, brilliantly observed, it is all too easy to over look light romantic comedy/drama, but this film is such a joy. Where is the DVD? Hollywood??????
on 22 June 2011
This is a nice gentle film about Jewish matrimonial matchmaking with some amusing situations.It does not have any laugh out loud moments and one or two stereotypical Jewish characters but it does leave the viewer feeling good and happy with life.
Well it did with my wife anyway who has been trying to get a DVD copy of this film for some years.I liked it as well.
on 7 November 2006
This is a very underated film. It puts most of the romantic films of the past few decades into the shade. It is a simple story told on a human scale, with well drawn characters and a story that moves at a fine pace. It is funny, charming and beautifuly acted. I went to see Crossing Delancey at Screen on the Hill in 1988 with a friend, not knowing anything about the film I was completely captivated and charmed. A young woman who finds unexpected love through the interference of her wonderful grandmother. I would highly recommend this film to anyone. I understand it is coming out on DVD in the States - please please release it here.
on 5 July 2006
Briliant film for all single women to watch, so that they learn to recognise the good men in life, that you should date, as opposed to the arrogant losers that you shouldn't. In essence, it's like Bridget Jones, just set in New York and filmed in the Eighties, with less of the shmaltz and more of the pickles.
on 13 October 2015
I had a copy on VHS for years and enjoyed watching it from time to time so this purchase was an upgrading rtaher than a new discovery. I haven't tested the copy yet but assume it is up to scratch technically.
on 7 January 2013
I first saw this years ago and bought the video as I enjoyed it so much. But for ages, the only DVD available was for Region 1 which was no use. Delighted it is now available for UK and Europe too. If you haven't seen it, this is a real treat. Pickles, poetry and a Bubbie who is as sharp as a tack.
on 27 June 2013
I went with my wife to see this film 4 days running at Screen on baker Street in the late 80's. We sat captivated chewing on our fruit pastilles and left the cinema on a high. Used to have it on VHS but wore it out and finally sourced a copy for region 2 on DVD. Still treasure it. My opinion is that the price here of about £23 is well over inflated. I paid around £12:00 for mine a couple of years back.

I cannot recommend this film too highly if you like a family film with no bad language, no violence, no sex and a happy ending. As has been said, the acting is superb and, if you like the music you can get the soundtrack on CD (which I also have).
on 31 August 2008
This film came as a complete surprise to me as it as was never a ''big'' film, but it is absolutely delightful, more so than Bridget Jones, which it does resemble. The real star of the film is the grandmother who finds the ideal man for her granddaughter, but not without some tribulations along the way. The acting is first class, Amy Irving is a splendid singleton and the would be suitor is lovely and so obviously right for her. There is sharp dialogue, humour and some great characterisations. It is an ideal film for a group of 30 something girls. I loved it.