Customer reviews

on 16 July 2001
Twelve great songs by the very imaginative and talented mind of "Weird Al". Hooray for Al and his band, what a incomparable talent.
Once you have listened to his parodies there will be no going back, they are so good and they match the original's so well you will wonder who wrote it first.
So I have to mention personal favourite, it is one on his original songs and it is Every Thing You Know Is Wrong a great jumpy little song which I am ever humming to myself. Since You've Been Gone is a wonderful barbers shop quartet style alternative love song.
Well "Weird Al" is well known for his parodies so I cannot go without mentioning them. So you can hear Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio become Amish Paradise. Find the chorus of Cavity Search "Numb me, Drill me, Floss me, Bill me" reminds you of Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me by U2. Listen to Gump a Forrest Gump parody of Lump by The Presidents of the United States of America.
I must mention a couple of his original songs Callin' In Sick a song which brings a smile to my face and as a good way to finish off his album is The Night Santa Went Crazy, I would tell you about but the title says it all.
Finally I can not go without mentioning The Alternative Polka his trademark polka medley where "Weird Al" goes from Beck to Green Day via Sheryl Crow, Nine Inch Nails and many more, You just have to hear it to believe.
So once again "Weird Al" Yankovic has got another laugh a minute album.
on 17 May 2007
bad hair day has some of the best songs weird al has to offer his lyrics are incredibly funny and witty and with some great songs like the alternative polka and i remember Larry it is easily up there with his best work. however some of these songs are not for everyone (hence the 4 star rating. so if your a fan of weird al or just like to listen to a great polka song then this is a must.
on 8 March 2016
This is Weird Al at his very best, the album includes my personal alltime Yankovic favorite "The Night Santa Went Crazy", Pure goofy pleasure :-)
on 12 November 2015
Amish Paradise is a total classic. And nothing on this album isn't excellent.
on 26 February 2015
Brilliant Weird Al !!!!! Would recommend this album for fans everywhere!!!
"Bad Hair Day" was the album that convinced me that even if "Weird Al" Yankovic was not getting older I certainly was. What gave it away was that I was out of the loop enough that I did not recognize "Phony Calls" as being a parody (I had over 1000 CDs at that time, I was listening to them instead of watching MTV for new things to buy). "Amish Paradise" became the most controversial song ever because Coolio insisted he did not give "Weird Al" permission to do the parody in what I believe to be a bit of revisionist history provoked by the wicked transformation of the gangsta song into an ode to the backwards way of the Amish. "Gump" is so direct that it tends to get overlooked for working in all the major elements of the Oscar winning film, while "Cavity Search" crosses the line by adding the most hated instrument in the world, a dentist's drill, into the musical mix. As for "Phony Calls," my hatred of telemarketers and other strangers calling me on my phone makes it impossible for me to appreciate this one in the way it was attended. "Everything Your Know Is Wrong" is one of the better original "Weird Al" songs and the really only decent one of the quartet offered up this time around, and the album does off one of the best "Weird Al" polka medleys ever with "Alternative Polka." If there was just one more really good original song or decent parody I would bump this up to five stars, but "Bad Hair Day" falls short by my rudimentary calculations.
on 5 November 2003
My children and I are big Weird Al fans, and I surprised them with this tape. It contains four Weird Al videos: 1) Amish Paradise (parodying Coolio's Gangster's Paradise with an Amish man gone bad!), 2) Gump (parodying The Presidents of the United States of America's Lump with Forrest Gump!), 3) Headline News (parodying the Crash Test Dummies' Mmm, Mmm, Mmm, Mmm with truth-stranger-than-fiction news items Nancy Kerrigan & Tonya Harding, Michael Fay (caned in Singapore for vandalism), and John & Loreena Bobbit), and finally Beverly Hillbillies (parodying Dire Straight's Money for Nothing with the Beverly Hillbillies!).
These are four great videos! As always with Al, knowing the videos being parodied and the new theme (Forrest Gump, Beverly Hillbillies, etc.) makes the viewing a better experience, but it really isn't necessary. There is a legitimate complaint that these four videos add up to only about 13 minutes, but for me it was still a good buy.
Amish Paradise is hilarious, with its highly ironic look at the Amish, with Florence Henderson and a fantastic reverse scene thrown in. Gump is great, with an excellent look at both the song and the movie. Headline News is just plain goofy, and hits the Crash Test Dummies right on the nose. And, Beverly Hillbillies, which was drawn straight out of the movie UHF, is a masterpiece at parodying both the song and the show. Overall, I love this tape, and I highly recommend it to you!
VINE VOICEon 15 May 2002
Very witty, very funny. The songs on this album are well arranged and performed showing that Weird Al certainly knows what he's doing and enjoys the parodys he creates. The songs on the album use well known source material giving them easy acces to listeners very quickly and making them instantly enjoyable as well as comically superb. This album is an absolute star at parties!!!
on 30 March 2000
This is just a great album from the start right to the finish! What better way to start than with 'Amish Paradise'? The songs just get better and better finishing with my personal fave - 'The Night Santa Went Crazy' it's hilarious!
on 5 September 2014