Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 December 2008
Benchmark recording of great emotional depth which goes beyond the mere display of grand musical force and show, which other recordings like those of Osawa, Bernstein and others represent. The music is very emotionally felt. There are other recordings with bigger choral forces, but this one is heavenly in its sentient intelligence. The recording is an ADD transfer with very good final sound quality, with some fuzziness compared with an original digital DDD recording, but excellent all the same.
on 27 November 2015
I have the Vinyl versions from 1974 but time has not been kind they have gathered phtts and cracks and other strange noises even though I've treated them lovingly with a nice light cartridge touch, the careful clean before playing & a beautiful steady turntable. I find the Philips & DG vinyl pressings don't weather anything like as well as DECCA or EMI. The time has come to replace them with CDs & this one is an excellent transfer, I see that what was once Philips is now Decca but what's in a name. The sound is clear but what, you say, of the performance. Sir Colin was on top form with this recording, this is heartfelt, majestic, beautiful, a spare, ascetic Berlioz that does full justice to his vision. I call your attention to the Sanctus/Hosanna which I've never heard better. Get this recording: enjoy.
on 4 July 2014
I bought this the best part of a year ago and must have played it about a dozen times since, the most recent just last night. To use the expression "definitive" can so easily be a cliché, but occasionally it's the right word - like now.

I've rarely been moved so much by hearing a particular performance but this set has that effect on me, similar to the set of Klemperer's performances of Wagner I got last year and reviewed, and these CD's have that same effect on me. Utterly wonderful interpretations and performances with the orchestra and chorus performing out of their skins.

You simply must not miss the experience.
on 12 August 2016
Hear we have a great requiem, skilfully interpreted by a much celebrated conductor and played by a world class orchestra and as a bonus we have the 'Te Deum' thrown in, all at a budget price. Maybe it is a little dated now as it was performed in 1970.
on 6 February 2012
Excellent for giving a proper impression of the scale and sound density of the piece. Great performances and recording quality. I am using it to aid my preparation of it with Hutton and Shenfield Choral Society on 24 March at Brentwood Centre, Essex.
at last I bought the recording of the masters performance,
I never bought it on vinyl,
so just bought it on cd for the first time as a tribute to the late great colin davis
what a performance great in every way,
he captures the great epic quality of the work,
stirring stuff a classic in every way.
on 8 March 2016
Perfect condition so a real bargain vs. the brand-new price. Chuffed!
on 14 October 2016
Just what I need to perform the work.
on 18 January 2016
magnificent works
on 23 January 2013
Really enjoyed this music , particularly the choir.
Excellent value for a double disc set.
If you are pondering about purchase and have got this far do not hesitate.
Buy and be transported.