on 15 November 2017
This film has a timely relevance in the terrorist atmosphere of 2017. Only the flippant ending jars with the carefully plotted story of a naive American family getting mixed up in a terrorist ring in 1950s Marrakesh. The two stars, James Stewart and Doris Day, bring surprising gravitas to their roles and the whole concoction does not seem as far fetched as it did in the fifties when it was made. The award-winning song Que Sera Sera has a crucial role in the plot development which only Hitchcock could manage so grippingly and so entertainingly. The DVD transfer was serviceable but not as vibrant as an old video version I have.
on 3 September 2017
As with Hitchcock what can you say. Plus seeing Doris Day acting with Que Sera Sera two times.
on 22 July 2013
I bought this as I am a Doris Day fan, so I am very pleased to have it in my collection. It is however a film that would have been filmed with much more realism today. This is meant to be a serious film and so does not us the Day comic timing or her singing voice. The Hitchcock tension is however maintained but sometimes with strain. The sights of London in the 50's are very nostalgic and full of the immediate post-war conditions. The story is well told and well acted.
on 13 June 2014
I have seen this film a couple of times and thought iy worthy to add to my collection. The plot is weel crafted but never over done. Doris Day is a somewhat underrated actress possibly because of her international recognition as a great singer. Bernard Miles on the other hand is, I feel, a somewhat overrated actor, but he does present a good performance here.
James Stewart is, well, James Stewart. Always reliable and competent, blessed by that very individual and much mimicked accent.
I would recommend it to all fans of Day and Stewart and shall enjoy watching it again from time to time.
on 7 November 2011
I bought this film for my 11 year old daughter because we have always sung Que sera and I wanted her to see the film it came from. On a day off school due to sickness we snuggled down to watch it and thoroughly enjoyed it. My daughter loved Doris Day and it was a very welcome relief from the rubbish kids tv channels !! I have now bought Calamity Jane as a christmas present which I'm sure will be just as appreciated.
on 23 October 2017
good
on 28 June 2016
this order received yesterday was very well packed.I watched it last night
and was very well pleased with the Blue Ray version of this film and this
copy was in absolutely perfect condition, many thanks
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 May 2012
Great film. Jimmy Stewart and Hitchcock at their very best. Cant discus the story line that would be unfair to all Stewart/Hitchcock fans who I know are going to bye the film (Great value for money from Amazon) anyway I am sure you know the story by now, its been around since 1956. The remasterd version is very good with great sound. Go get it.
on 2 January 2018
Love love love this film
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 September 2017
Pretty dire. Started off ok but went drastically downhill