on 10 January 2016
Bought six years ago and still looks like it did then - is this because maybe it hasn't been used much or because it is good quality? I think that as with most Melissa & Doug products the quality is great. However I also think that maybe I didn't know enough about how to use an abacus in order to make the most out of it. My daughters have enjoyed arranging the beads and making patterns more than doing any number work on it.

If you want an abacus then this is a great abacus to go for, but maybe first ask the question, do I really need an abacus? There are just so many other ways of inspiring a child and teaching a child about numbers.

Would I buy this again? Maybe not, but as I said I suppose if I had taken more time to learn how it could be used then maybe my children would have gotten more out of it. Won't beat myself up too much though, as I have learnt the plural of abacus.
on 5 April 2016
I was tempted to buy one of the other, cheaper abacuses I saw in the amazon store, but read some opinions about the fragility and lack of quality of those. So I went for the more expensive one, the Melissa and Doug.
And I do not regret a thing. It is sturdy and quality-built indeed. Great value for money.
I'd rather have less educational toys for my children that are well built and durable.
on 12 October 2016
Decent quality let down by not properly sanded down. Tiny splinters on fingers twice, if it on my kids, they might not able to explain it to me and suffer in silent. Will have to sand it down before giving it to my kids to play.
on 26 November 2017
unfortunatly it is for over 3 years and it has been bought for a 13 month old, so quite a while before it can be used
on 24 November 2017
A lovely, well made abacus. I wanted to get one for my grandson, and this one seemed very good value, and a bit better made than some.
Good quality, everyone loves it. Nana, Mum and Grandson.
on 14 August 2014
Product is a nice chunky size for young children to hold and use, yet not too big and bulky that it can't be easily stored away when not in use. Very sturdy and practical, i bought it to help my 5-year old with adding and subtracting, and will hopefully help her with homework as she is now going into year one at school. It is a good visual tool to help children to understand working with numbers. So far she is getting the jist of how to use it for adding, taking away and counting, and im sure as she learns more math it will become even more useful for her, as can also be used to help understand multiplication and times-tables etc. Additionally my baby also finds this abacus fun, he likes the bright colours and sounds that the beads make when they move from side to side. It is robust and is definitely built to withstand being dropped and bashed about. Good value for money. I have no doubt that this will be a timeless, useful learning toy in our home for years to come. Glad i bought it.
on 23 August 2012
This got an awesome reception from the child but I was disappointed because some of the paint fromsome of the beads had perhaps not dried thoroughly before it was assembled and so some paint was jaggedly dried on to one or two of the rods.

It does seem durable and looks lovely. The colours are brighter than some I've seen. I'm sure it will be used for years to come. Minimal counting or arithmetic is done with it. I have been told it's a a musical instrument! And this is how it's most used. I'm confident that in time I will be able to use it to make arithmetic fun.
on 24 January 2018
Sturdily built, engagingly coloured, not too big, not too small, just right: just what I need-- not for myself I should stress, but for my grandchildren.
on 9 January 2016
A good, solid, sturdy, traditional toy. I think it should withstand a lot of mistreatment. My 14 month old granddaughter just loves moving the beads along from one side to another endlessly. Will be great for colour recognition and counting as she gets older. Just hope it will maintain her interest amongst all the plastic mania and battery operated toys in her toy box.
on 15 September 2015
I have wanted an Abacus for my son for a while and the Melissa and Doug range is great for pre-school children. The Abacus arrived quickly and was well packaged. The item itself is sturdy, the colours are lovely and bright and its the perfect size for children with clumsy hands trying to count. My son is yet to play with the abacus as it is a present but i'm sure he will love it.