Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 July 2001
yet again it amazes me how this band,and in particular the excellent Warren Defever,can go unnoticed.'Someday..' is the album that sees the band throw away the abstract,almost Cocteau Twin esq sounds of their early recordings and throw themselves longingly at the mercy of gospel,the blues and early rock n' roll,although those fx peddles still make a hell of a noise....
on 13 December 2004
This one is His Name is Alive's 6th proper album, from 2001. It's one of their most consistent in terms of mood, with little genre-hopping: it's all Soul/R&B music and its stunningly beautiful, very sexy and desolately sad.
Significant changes from other albums: Longtime singer Karin Oliver has now departed, leaving just Lovetta Pippin. No Warren Defever guitar wig-outs either - just gentle strings, piano, deep processed bass and grown-up lyrics that cover suicide, love, terminal illness, obsession and leaving ("Are We Still Married" from their 2nd album "Home is in Your Head" is radically re-worked).
Lovetta's voice has none of the excessive warbling characteristic of Maria Carey & other self-styled soul 'divas'. By contrast, she's restrained and knows when to be quiet and let a tune play out. This album is everything that R&B could be. If only other more chart-friendly artists would stop trying to convince us of the depth of their emotion by moaning and bending their voices, I could like R&B more.
It's my other favourite His Name is Alive album, apart from "Mouth by Mouth" and thoroughly deserves 5 stars and should be more widely known. Pleasantly, unlike their other albums, I've not played it to anyone that didn't like it. Newcomers start here & work backwards through "Fort Lake" & stop when you've had enough. This one though, is worth a listen even for any non-R&B fan - its a 40 minute slice of heaven.
on 24 January 2012
I'm as guilty as most for summarily dismissing this LP back in 2000. However, a decade+ later I'm still buying His Name Is Alive's new releases, & still playing Someday My Blues Will Cover The Earth on a regular basis. Though it took me a few years to finally relent - to listen to it without prejudice, & to realise what a magnificent record it actually is - once it had wormed it's way under my skin I quickly realised what a narrow minded, (musically) bigoted indie boy I'd been. Both it, & it's sister album Last Night, (their final 4AD release) still sound utterly beautiful, though Someday... is the better of the 2. Someday... hasn't dated a bit, & deserves (still) to be heard by a much wider audience, which is more than you can say for Gus Gus, eh? Sorry Warren, it seems you were right all along. x
on 28 January 2002
What a gloriously sublime curveball Warren has delivered this time! As uncluttered with styles as "Fort Lake" is over-brimming with, utilizing this time a fabulously bluesy/noir pallette. It has a late night cozy feel mostly, but is just as warm blasting out of yer hi-fi. Lovetta is once again in fine voice and she excels with regret in "Our Last Affair"; with soul in "Solitude"; with uncertainty in "Are We Still Married?". All tracks are equally lovely. Buy it now.
on 18 September 2014
Awful album in my opinion. I bought it as the reviews made it sound interesting and I have heard odd tracks by them on various 4AD compilations over the years, but this sounds like collection of pop songs that didn't make the grade. I just didn't find it interesting to listen to, the sound, lyrics or the production.