Customer reviews

Odysseynumberfive
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 October 2012
Any band named after a Neil Young song has to be good, right? And these guys are. Yet, surprisingly then, they are not themselves country-rock or even grunge. Straight rock I would say, although at times also surprisingly old-fashioned ( as in 1980s pop, so not in a good way). At times too, their songs sound like some sort of generic run-of- the-mill rock. But we do have here 3 or 4 superb and original tracks. The downside is that there are too many competent, inoffensive but unremarkable tracks as well. I say possibly 4 because the last track, an acoustic, is nice enough but would sound better pumped up and electrified.

The guitar playing is mostly excellent, the singing nothing special but acceptable, the production good (except where track 8, a wonderful triple-crescendo piece, is ended too soon and there is no gap at all before the next track).
on 30 April 2003
I bought this album on the strength of a review in a popular music magazine. Although they only gave it 3 stars (it deserves 5) they advised to buy this album if you like Crowded House or Counting Crows, I do so I did. What a find! At first listen you can pick out a couple of tracks that sound great but with continued listening you realise that this album is a grower and it has become my favourite album of all time. It’s hard to pick out a favourite track as from start to finish each song has its individual merits – there are the sing-along anthemic ones like ‘My Happiness’; the rock inspired ‘Like a Dog’; the lyrically perfect ‘Up & Down & Back Again’; the growers that you only notice how fantastic they are after 3 months of having it on your car stereo, like ‘Thrilloilogy’ and ‘The Metre’. It even ends perfectly with ‘Whatever Makes you Happy’. It’s hard to put Powderfinger into a category of Music and it’s hard to compare them to anything else I know but if you appreciate good rock/pop with interesting lyrics you won’t regret buying this album. They should offer a money back guarantee – I’m sure no one would ever take them up on it and it might make people over here to sit up and take notice of Powderfinger as they deserve to be huge.
on 13 April 2017
exellent
on 23 May 2014
I first listened to this album in a record store in Sydney 2001 whilst travelling. It has been one of my top 5 albums since, I try hard not to over play it but its just a fantastic album and gets played often. The album is immense, 'like a dog' is my favourite but there is still another 7 excellent songs on this album
on 16 May 2016
A+
on 4 September 2001
This is the first album to be released in this country by the five piece known as Powderfinger. The Antipodean quintet have brought their unique sound over to our shores to save us from the mundanity of our charts at the moment. From the first listen of this album you just know that these guys are something different. It's off the wall, rocky, melodic and downright sexy. Bernard's voice assaults your ears and implores you to listen for longer...and how can you refuse? All the tracks have their own little bit of specialness and it's down to your own tastes as to which are your favourites. For me Waiting for the Sun, the opening track, is awesome, definitely a spine tingler with it's throbbing bass and strong guitars. On the other hand, The Metre and its string arrangement yet again leaves me trembling!! And not forgetting Like a Dog. Pure Rock and Roll..FANTASTIC! I'm giving this album 5 stars..I liked it when I first heard it and now I love it. It's completely grown on me and I find myself humming the tunes throughout the day. Sheer genius...nice one!
on 24 April 2003
I bought this album on the strength of a Q review. Although they only gave it 3 stars (it deserves 5) they advised to buy this album if you like Crowded House or Counting Crows, I do so I did. What a find! At first listen you can pick out a couple of tracks that sound great but with continued listening you realise that this album is a grower and it has become my favourite album of all time. It’s hard to pick out a favourite track as from start to finish each song has its individual merits – there are the sing-along anthemic ones like ‘My Happiness’; the rock inspired ‘Like a Dog’; the lyrically perfect ‘Up & Down & Back Again’; the growers that you only notice how fantastic they are after 3 months of having it on your car stereo, like ‘Thrilliology’ and ‘The Metre’. It even ends perfectly with ‘Whatever Makes you Happy’. It’s hard to put Powderfinger into a category of music and it’s hard to compare them to anything else I know but if you appreciate good rock/pop with interesting lyrics you won’t regret buying this album. They should offer a money back guarantee – I’m sure no one would ever take them up on it and it might make people over here to sit up and take notice of Powderfinger as they deserve to be huge.
on 3 October 2001
I bought this because when we got to V2001 on Sunday, they blew us away! This album is an admirable collection of catchy riffs and classy vocals; its almost like having Page & Plant plus Deep Purple at their peak updated into the 21st century! The most endearing quality is that the songs are all strong and if you once think they've gone slightly off in any one track, its cos they're about to hit you with a strident change of key or pace, a driving bassline or a lyric that smacks you right between the eyes and leaves you thinking.....yeah! I've recommended it to a few like-minded mates & I recxommend it to anyone actually - go on, you know you want to....
on 9 February 2004
This is a great album, the first one that i got from this Brisbane band, having heard 'my happiness' on the radio in Oz.
Still listen to this a lot, largely because there isn't a bad track on the album. It's a bit different to their other stuff which is generally a bit more rocky, but different isn't always a bad thing.
Ideally to create an amazing album: if you could take the best bits from this and from their more recent album Vulture Street. This is clearly not possible, so you might as well buy both, like I have done!
Highly recommended. If you like this, check out Something for Kate...
on 12 December 2003
Because Australia is pretty much separated from the rest of the world, the music is often different from what you may find elsewhere. And because of the large amount of foreign music shoved into the Aussie culture, it therefore makes Australian musicians determined to stand out - and for the better.
Meet Powderfinger, one of Australia's premier rock bands. Their earlier albums were harder rock (as is their latest venture, "Vulture Street"), but what makes "Odyssey Number Five" stand out is the powerful quality, and it's gentler than "The Finger's" other albums. And while it does have some tracks you could brush over, there are some truly stunning ones to keep you interested.
"My Happiness" was number one on Triple J's Hottest 100 for a year (Triple J being an Aussie radio station that mostly plays local alternative music). It's a light rock ballad, but I think I've heard it too many times for me to be able to properly appreciate it. This is a problem when music that you like happens to be commercially friendly.
"Like a Dog" is one of the best tracks on the album. It's rock, with some great riffs, definitely a song for driving. It also seems to have a close connection with Australia, and not just because boxing star Anthony "The Man" Mundine appeared in the film clip. Some examples of references to Australia include "Now we're trying hard to reconcile a history of shame, but he reinforced the barriers that keep it the same" as well as "But it's a fine, fine time for the people in the lucky land." Meanwhile, "These Days" is simply brilliant. You'll know what I mean if you've heard it. And "Up & Down & Back Again" is another powerful track, with somewhat of a pleading quality in lead singer Bernard Fanning's voice. It's a somewhat inspiring piece ("I hope that you remember that pride comes before a fall" and "Have you ever attempted to be yourself when everybody wants you to be someone else?"), and is one of the better songs on the album.
But "Thrilloilogy" is the real stunner, capturing attention from the very opening bars. This has a riff that sounds rather sad, and this track is one of the most emotional songs on the album, music-wise. It's a powerful, brilliant piece that is mostly rock, except for when it softens for the bridge, and then rises for the coda. I'd go as far as to say it's the best track on the album, and it shouldn't be ignored.
As for other tracks, "The Metre" brings a touch of classy sophistication with the use of strings. It's a song for the journeyman (one can't help but picture a quiet road), which comes up with some interesting lyrics ("pull off the social bluff, celebrate your success"). However, I can't quite connect with the song, even though it's obviously well written. "My Kind of Scene" is also a deserted road song, that was featured on the "Mission: Impossible 2" soundtrack. But it's a bit too flat for me... you could even say, "it's not my kind of scene". And "We Should Be Together Now" is rock, with nothing particularly special about it.
Other tracks include "Waiting for the Sun" (a haunting and emotional piece of moderate rock), "Odyssey #5" (a small, dreamy little interlude, with the lyrics being a bit silly) and "Whatever Makes You Happy" (an acoustic piece that I've got on my "Songs For My Funeral" list - consider it for yours).
Overall, this is some of the best rock made in Australia, truly high quality. However, some of the tracks just can't keep me interested enough, and so I brought the mark out of 10 down from 9 to 8. But there are some tracks that one just can't go past. It's worthy for alternative and rock music collections.