Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 June 2002
Wow... Emma is definitly a great singer and very talented girl. By it, because is one of the best albuns from 2001.
1. 'What Took You So Long?' - Everything in the place. Just great for first single. (9/10)
2. 'Take My Breath Away' - a little bit girly, but really fantastic and Emma shows that she has a great voice(9/10)
3. 'A World Without You' - Remembering the times of '2 Become 1' and 'Too Much'. It would be a massive hit(10/10)
4. 'High On Love' - A bit borring, but nice too (7/10)
5. 'A Girl Like Me' - Pop song, kinda like the times of Spice. Good one (8/10)
6. 'Spell It O.U.T.' - Also Pop, but much better than the previous. Emma shows all of her voice potencial (9/10)
7. 'Sunshine On A Rainy Day' - One of the best cover that I have ever heard. Seems like Madonna's 'Don't Tell Me', but nicer. It would also be a great single (10/10)
8. 'Been There, Done That' - Great R'n'B/pop song. is one of my favourites in the album. (9/10)
9. 'Better Be Careful' - The best Song in the album. Great one... really the top. One Question: Why Emma didn't release this one as a single?(10/10)
10. 'We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight' - Great up-beat song and also one of the best in the album. Is not better than the single version. (album version- 9/10; single version- 10/10)
11. 'She Was A Friend Of Mine' - Cool one, but out of the sound of the rest of the album (8/10)
12. 'What I Am' - Nice one, but it shouldn't be on the album, because is the 2º cover and it's not very cool. (6/10)
Well, this album is one of the best ever, so don't waste time and order it now!! You won't be dissapointed, for sure.
on 10 July 2002
Well well, it is the end of cute Baby Spice and hello to mature grown up Emma Bunton. With her debut solo album emma shows us what she is made of!
The album has some great tracks that are all totally different in style, the best being: What Took You So Long?, What I Am, Take My Breath Away, We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight, A Girl Like Me and A World Without You.
The rest lack that sort of "punch" to make you want to keep listening to them!
It debuted at #4 and it's shame Virgin dropped her as with better promotion this album could have been #1. Let's hope with her next album she is!
A must for Spice and pop fans alike!
on 20 January 2015
picked this up by accident when rushed for time in a charity shop - don't usually pay much attention to solo efforts by the likes of ex-Spice Girls etc (Rachel Stevens excepted) but it seems Emma Bunton is the one Spice Girl with a genuine smattering of talent - as other commentators also indicate
on 21 April 2001
To be honest, Emma was probably my least favorite Spice Girl just because she wasn't "interesting" enough. But with this album I say the heck with interesting and discovered that she is now my new favorite Spice Girl. While I like them as a group (yes I think Forever is a work of art), both of the Mel's albums to me kind of fell short of anything great (yeah I think Mel C's album is kind of stale..I'm american so of course I have a different musical taste). I only listen to them every so often and so I had a bad feeling when Emma's album was announced. But just a few days ago when I downloaded a few of her songs I had to order this album..plus I realized this spice definitely has a promising solo career ahead of her. If she can't conquer America then no solo spice can. Her songs are great. I mean she has such a nice voice and she covers all facets of music. She's basically what the Spice Girls are but as a solo artist instead. If you don't buy this album, not only are you not a good spice fan, but your denying yourself a really great musical experience!
on 19 April 2001
I'm totally such a big fan of Emma Bunton. I couldn't wait to get her new album. The CD is a perfect pure pop pleasure. She has such a light melodic goregous voice. This CD outshines past spice girls CD's including the new R/B flavored Forever. This CD has better songs and Emma wrote every track on the album. The album features more live instrumentation and acoustic guitar such as in songs like the new #1 single "What Took You So Long", "Take My Breath Away", "High On Love", Sunshine On A Rainy Day" "Better Be Careful" And past smash "What I Am". Also theres beautiful ballads like "A World Without You" And "Spell It Out". Theres upbeat R&B/Dance stuff like "Been There, Done That" and "She Was A Friend Of Mine". Overall this is such a fun and touching album to listen to over and over again. You'll like all the songs and different styles like Pop, Rock and R&B. Go Emma!!!
on 10 July 2005
I have to say that I thought this album would be slightly samey and boring, but I was proved wrong! Emma Bunton has a lovely, sweet voice and all the songs on this album are fun and catchy. I particularly love 'We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight' (perfect to play while getting ready for a night out with your mates) and 'A World Without You' (soppy lovesong with amazing vocals from Emma).
If you want something original, fun and catchy, BUY THIS ALBUM!!! You won't be disappointed!!!
on 29 April 2001
Emma Bunton is the fourth Spice Girl to release a solo album, but can she follow in their footsteps to solo stardom? The answer is a very BIG yes! 'A Girl Like Me' sees Emma take in a number of musical genres, including pop, R&B, dance and also an acoustic vibe on a couple of tracks. Among the 12 tracks are the no.1 single, 'What Took You So Long?', her no.2 collaboration with Tin Tin Out, 'What I Am', and the extremely sentimental, 'Take My Breath Away', which Emma says is about her long-term boyfriend, Jade from UK R&B group, Damage. Other hilights on the CD include her cover of Zoe's 1991 classic, 'Sunshine On A Rainy Day' (a song that is destined to be a single, and which is so uplifting that you can't help but jump up and down in the air - or is that just me??), and the rather feisty 'n' funky title track, 'A Girl Like Me', on which she warns us not to '*!!*' with her - could a duet with Eminem be on the cards?? All in all it's a well rounded solo debut - to put it in a nutshell: good songs sang well.. songs as nice as the lady herself - and I should know, as I met her last week!! Just as good as 'Hot' and 'Northern Star' - if not better!!
on 8 May 2001
This is a great solo-debut album from Emma Bunton, or as some of you prefer to call her, Baby Spice. Her album is the one that's most similar the Spice Girls' albums. The album starts with her "first official" solo-single, "What Took You So Long". This is, in my opinion, along with "We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight" the best song of the album. It's catchy, It feels like summer!!! Great vocals by Emma! "We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight" is a summer-song aswell, with latin-influences and it sure goes into your head and stays there! To give more critisism, her voice doesn't carry her all the way, she has no power in her voice in some songs. So my opinion is that she should sing songs that fit her voice! Anyway enough of that, in short the album is really great and it's a must in your CD-collection! Especially if you're a Spice-fan!
on 28 October 2001
This is one of the albums I never get tired of listening to. In a way Emma's solo music is different from the Spice Girls music. Emma's is nice and laid back, whilst the Spice Girl's is up beat. My favourite track on the album is Spell It O.U.T, because of it's mix of pop and R&B. All the songs on the album are a mix of pop and R&B too. I think that all the songs on Emma's brilliant album will be top ten hits. This Spice Girl proves she can do it on her own!
on 22 June 2002
Emma's first album a girl like me has to be the best solo spice cd yet. Thats why I am very mad that she was dropped by virgen. Yes her last single only made it to number 20 that was bad. But you have to remember the girl had a number 1 and a number 5 and Girl Like Me Album went gold! I believe this Album was cut short there were so many other songs that should have been singles. (A world with out you) A great ballad (Better Be careful) A a rad rocky typ song one of my fave from the Album. And A GIRL LIKE ME that song is one of my fav songs of all time she should have made this her third single. Anyways Emma's first solo cd rocks and was very succasfull. Only downfalls are. Not enough singles and was not brought to the US. i would recomend buying to any-1 and every-1 peace out