Customer reviews

Amnesiac
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 December 2014
I prefer it to Kid A. No, actually I love both but what happened to me is that I lost this album and when I found it I couldn't believe how amazing it was. It blew me away. Great musical journey for me. Complex, moody, jazzy and pretty edgy. Perfect for a head that is as crazy as mine.
on 3 May 2017
very good album i like all tracks the various styles keep it interesting and enjoyable jazzy pyramid song,rocking knives out and some electronica like kid a which is a bit avant garde
on 5 October 2017
Case broken but CD fine, good price, very quick service
on 14 January 2015
Quality album, one of radiohead's best, bought it for a present,
but also listen to it on youtube, good for when you're depressed.
on 9 February 2017
I love Radiohead ... but until a month ago, what I really meant was I love The Bends, OK Computer and In Rainbows. If I'm honest, I felt that Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief and Thom's solo stuff was too inaccessible and for fifteen years (or more actually) the CDs sat on the bookcase and the music stayed on my iPod unlistened to.
Anyway, about a month ago I was looking at Wikipedia and noticed the excellent critical reviews of all Radiohead albums and decided to get into each album, from Kid A to Moon Shaped Pool and all in between.
So glad I did because each album is soooo good. Amnesiac started to hook me after about the fourth or fifth play (in a dark room with headphones on) but now I can't stop listening to it.
I've read that many people view Amnesiac as Kid A's inferior or weedier sibling, but I totally disagree. I now love Kid A too but I genuinely think Amnesiac is a better, more rounded album. Even Pull/Pulk Revolving Doors (track 3 on the album), which admittedly is probably the strangest track on the album, feels like it belongs and the album would be weaker without it.
I don't know how Thom Yorke and the guys do it. Their music will certainly last the test of time and will be enjoyed by generation after generation ... if only they can get over that initial feeling that it is just messy noise.
I love Radiohead - all of it!
on 18 May 2006
The popular misconception of this album is that it's just made up of Kid A cast-offs. But that is simply not the case. Many consider this radioheads finest body of work even though its not as critically acclaimed as Kid A.

Personally this is my favourite Radiohead longplayer. Pyramid Song, You And Whose Army?, I Might Be Wrong, Like Spinning Plates and Life In A Glasshouse being particular highlights..

The album feels more listenable and complete than Kid A, while still offerring some great electro-experimental moments- the industrially tinged Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors being one of my favourites.

If you like Kid A or Hail To The Theif you need this recording. ignore whatever is said about it.

And if you like this - i highly recommend I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings. For a particularly heart-felt rendition of Like Spinning Plates and stunning bside 'True Love Waits'
on 12 March 2013
A lot of people, critics and fans alike, simply dismiss Amnesiac as some form of inferior B Side album to the great Kid A. No doubt, because the songs on Kid A and Amnesiac were recorded in the same sessions. This may cause one to form an negative opinion, before having heard the album, based on the assumption that Radiohead put out this album with songs not good enough for Kid A.

Having listened to both albums extensively, I honestly find that this cannot be true. There are two reasons for this: one is that (in my opinion) the music on Amnesiac is just as good if not better than that of Kid A, and secondly that Amnesiac has a very different sound to Kid A. More on both of these points.

Firstly, by 'good music', I mean here more attractive, melodic and pleasing. Obviously those are not only criteria on which music should be judged - I think Kid A is a more powerful album, and more influential/important - but I personally much prefer listening to Amnesiac. Listen to tracks like the Pyramid Song (which is simply a instant Radiohead classic), with its stunning piano chord progression and striking melody, or You And Whose Army, which progresses from a gentle - almost acoustic - beginning to a rock anthem style ending. The way that song changes at the end of the first minute I find a remarkable listening experience. The grungey guitar riff of I Might Be Wrong grabs one instantly, as does the softer but at the same time darker Knives Out. There really are a multitude of great tracks on this record; Dollars & Cents, Morning Bell/Amnesiac (which is very similar to its Kid A counterpart but more attractive) and the opener (which shares similarities with the Kid A opener Everything In Its Right Place, with infectious dark synths and similarly great lyrics - I'm a reasonable man/Get off my case), amongst the other strong songs.
In comparison to Kid A, Amnesiac holds its own musically. Admittedly Kid A has that fabulous opener and Idioteque (surely one of the most powerful and tense songs every recorded), but the riff on I Might Be Wrong is just as strong as that on The National Anthem, Like Spinning Plates is an equally strong ambient track compared to Tree Fingers, and Knives Out and The Pyramid song are (in my opinion) superior to the likes of Kid A and How to Disappear Completely.

The second reason that Amnesiac is not merely a B Side to Kid A is that the sounds of the Albums are very different. Kid A is a lot more aggressive, more angry, more unsettled (and unsettling). That sound is characterized by the twitchy beats on The National Anthem or Idioteque, or the downright weird Kid A. Amnesiac I find to be softer, more accessible. I don't understand why some say that Amnesiac is even more difficult than Kid A, it really isn't. Many of the songs are driven by guitars or pianos, there isn't as much weird electronica (not to say I don't like weird electronica but it tends to be more challenging) - pulk revolving doors being the exception there.
No, Amnesiac stands very successfully as an individual album, the songs flow together nicely to create a remarkable listening experience.

One thing is for sure, if you are getting in to Radiohead, you have probably heard OK Computer, In Rainbows, The Bends or Kid A. The next step is Amnesiac, a record which deserves similar (perhaps not quite as much) recognition as those three. Don't be put off by the dismissiveness of other critics, or indeed the frankly wrong suggestion that amnesiac is less accessible than Kid A. Give it a listen.
on 11 December 2006
Pulk/pull Revolving Doors summed this album up when I first heard it. Dark, dense, atonal, full of dissonance. I thought, "Well let's skip this and put it down to "uptheirownbacksideness"". I'd always considered this album started at "I Might Be Wrong" and the second part of this album welded on to the first five tracks of Kid A would have been a better move.

However, having put together quite a few playlists on the old i-pod, I noticed that I was always including far more tracks from Amnesiac than any of the other albums. Recently therefore I thought it might be worth playing the whole album through one more time. This was after not listening to any Radiohead at all for quite some time.

"...

And there are revolving doors.

There are doors that open by themselves.

There are sliding doors and there are secret doors.

There are doors that lock and doors that don't.

There are doors that let you in and out but never exit.

But there are trap doors that you can't come back from."

- Pulk/pull Revolving Doors

I couldn't put it better myself. I seem to have slipped through that trap door that you can't come back from. This is simply an astonishing piece of work coming from the limitations of a five member rock group.

There are legions of music lovers who put The Bends and OK Computer in their top ten. There are lesser numbers who recognise Kid A as the improvement that it is. But I have a feeling in years to come that more and more will unlock the mechanisms in this little puzzle, and recognise "their secret album" for what it is. Their masterpiece.
on 30 September 2001
Reviewers should probably start by admitting their bias, and mine is that I loved Kid A. Having I enjoyed Radiohead since Creep and The Bends, I realised with OK Computer that this was not a band content to musically stand still. All of the major artists like The Beatles,Dylan,Bowie etc.have been driven by the urge to explore and, despite the inevitable clunker, emerged stronger for it. And, inevitably, their old fans attacked them for it. I find Amnesiac to be a far more melodically accessible album than Kid A, but it only works if you're not expecting more of the stadium rock anthems of yore. Certainly, it's not an album for everyone, but compared to the later work of,say, Autechre or Squarepusher it's actually rather user-friendly given its ambitions. I left one star off because I feel the best work of Radiohead is still to come. But complaining that it doesn't all sound like My Iron Lung is like complaining that I Am The Walrus isn't as good as Please Please Me.
11 Comment| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 August 2017
The 2nd CD is pretty pointless, except for the live version of Pyramid Song, which is worth the thing being made in the first place. If you live the track you have to hear this version.