Customer reviews

Brilliant
on 5 August 2017
👍
on 3 June 2017
Arguably the most underrated album they've ever produced, as it divides fans and critics alike. A grower in the truest sense of the word as it contains 2 of their greatest ever tracks in 'Dream on' and 'I feel loved'. The production also deserves a huge amount of credit, as it really shimmers when needed and pulsates in the right places. Superb. X
on 25 March 2017
Not as strong as their prior record, Ultra, but sill a decent listening. The atmosphere and details are as always more important (and satisfying) than the quality of the songwriting. The catchiest and best songs are "Freelove", "Dream On" and "Breathe", but the song that really grows upon you is "Shine".
on 16 December 2012
I don't understand some of the griping about this album.Martins writing is really strong and Dave's vocals are truly haunting and mesmerizing . Its worth buying for "When the body speaks" alone period. Top band at the top of their game, a must have.
on 21 May 2001
Exciter is very different from previous albums which is probably why some fans don't like it, but life would be boring if DM just stayed writing the same songs in the same style of SOFAD and Ultra (even though they are great). DM don't ever really come under a music category anyway so it's impossible they can stick to one style like the pop of Violator or rock of SOFAD.
Exciter is very fresh and innovative, with brilliant vocals, lyrics and interesting effects such as the guitars in Dream On. It is definitely an album that grows on you, but the quality of the songs 'shine' through and there is so much depth in the songs that you hear more each time you listen to them.
Overall this is a brilliant album and is in no way a let down - they have shifted their style again and done it brilliantly.
on 20 November 2007
This is an album that even when going back for a fourth or fifth listen, it just doesn't deliver. After starting with such promise with the first single Dream On, it fails to deliver anything resembling a good Depeche Mode album. Freelove is an ok track, but Dead of Night is like a grim parody of a Marilyn Manson song and falls flat on it's face, and Comatose is lyrically beyond redemption, with a weak rhyming scheme "I heard it from Peter/Who heard it from Paul/Who heard it from Mary..." need I go on? The album also has a lot of "atmospheric" fillers, where there is no songs sung, just some ambient synths in the background. I gave this album 2 stars, as there's only really 2 good tracks on it. The rest isn't worth the price you'd get for it in the bargain bin.

If you're looking for a good album, then "Dream On", this isn't it.
on 18 June 2009
I have loved much of DM since day one but never went as far as owning an album of theirs until Ultra, which blew me away. I guess my expectation for the follow-up (especially given the title 'Exciter')was more chunky, gutsy anthemic songs with a couple of more filmic, esoteric numbers towards the end. What I felt at the time was underwhelmed! About the only thing I liked was the cover art and I Feel Loved. The title was so mismatched with the music that followed. The whole thing felt weak, with naff lyrics and even a couple of instrumental interludes that felt like a cop out. What had happened to DM? I traded in the CD at a second-hand shop. In 2007 with the release of the entire DM catalogue of albums on SACD/DVD with 5.1 mixes and extras I decided to finally add DM to my collection in a big way with the exception of the first two albums (that I may yet investigate) and that dreadful Exciter album. Then...One night, a month ago, watching a music video show on TV, on came DM with this grunty track called I Feel Loved. How come I didn't have that in my collection? Was that the one good track I vaguely remembered off the album with the green cover? Maybe it was time to revisit Exciter? I read online reviews that shared my initial feelings towards the album but thought maybe 8 years down the track my ears would give Exciter a better reception. I'm glad I have given it another go. It's an album that you need to lay down on the lounge and listen to with your eyes closed to really get into it. Not one for listening to in the car. Now, being able to immerse yourself in the surround sound mix helps too! There is much to like on Exciter but it is like entering a movie soundtrack and taking the journey through the soundscapes that reveals the, at first, hidden or missing joys. It's different to many other DM works, much more sonically sparse in parts and of much greater quality and value than I gave it credit for upon initial release. Maybe I just needed to be 8 years older to appreciate it. Maybe it sounds richer because of the mastering and surround mix? Forgive me Depeche Mode...it was me, not you, that got it wrong.
on 18 May 2001
Having listened to the samples on their website I thought this would be a curate's egg but I was pleasantly surprised - another classic album from the Basildon three.
It is slower than the previous three outings and top heavy with ballads so it won't be everyone's cup of tea. Despite the fact that there are no recognisable hits the album is quality from start to finish. The melodies are beautifully crafted and Dave has never sung better.
If I have one criticism - it is releasing Dream On as a single - it is the most tuneless track on the album. "Dead of night" made me laugh - sounds like a cross between Gary Glitter and Gary Numan. Surely they weren't being serious? Were they?
on 4 April 2006
I'm surprised by the positive reviews for this album - it just goes to show how some albums can polarise the listeners - even the fans.
I'm writing this review after seeing DM live at Wembley last night during the "Playing The Angel" album tour and it's interesting that NONE of the "Excitor" tracks made it onto the set list - not even the single "Dream On". Proof I think that for the majority of DM fans, this is an album we tend not to think about as it collects dust at the back of the CD rack, and this feeling has undoubtedly coloured the band's own judgement when compiling the tour.
As mentioned in other reviews, it's a tired, listless and uninspiring collection of half-hearted efforts. Martin Gore was just not in a good place when he put these songs togther, and the whole venture suffered further under Mark Bell's limpid production.
Despite this shakey episode in DM history though , "Playing The Angel" sees them way back on form, perhaps even surpassing "Songs Of Faith And Devotion" and snapping on the heels of "Violator" - for most, their crowning glory.