on 3 October 2017
arrived fast good film but this is the rich peoples side of it ,I was bombed out in 1941 we had to go and live with my nan I was 5 years old at the time my nan lived in flats just off blackwall tunnel I had to get the rations for my nan and run the gauntlet of the other kids who would stop you to steal your rations we lived on bread and jam,sometimes the better off would ask us if we wanted some dripping that's the fat off a roast beef this was a luxuryfor us,yes I lived in London during the war how many people are in their 80s remember it
on 15 October 2017
This film, more than any other reminded me of my childhood growing up in Falconwood, Kent... (That's South East London now!) I remember the bombed-out houses, the "Gun Sites" and the excitement of finding shrapnel, to say nothing of unexploded incendiary bombs! Just one huge playground for kids in the late 40s and early 50s. Obviously some of the things depicted in the film are the sort of thing we actually got up too and are decidedly non-PC now, and as for Health and Safety... Forget it!
on 18 May 2017
Have got to buy sequel to this film. the "kids" must havereally enjoyed some of the destruction scenes in bombed out property. No doubt health and safety would be a nightmare now..
on 31 July 2012
John Boorman's finest hour perhaps? This is a vivid portrayal of life in the blitz in London, how it impinges on one family, and in particular on a small boy who views much of what is happening around him as a great adventure. I think much of the material is based on John Boorman's own childhood. The shots of bomb-damaged suburban houses were all filmed on a huge outdoor set, and the period detail is perfect. Sarah Miles reins in her tendency to histrionics to give a subtle portrayal of a mother trying to hold her family together under great difficulties. Look out too for a cameo from Boorman's son Charlie (also seen in Emerald Forest) as a downed German airman. There are plenty of thrills but the film is also full of humour and some laugh-out-loud moments, for example the local kids cheering when they find out their school has had a direct hit. The film is presented in 16:9 ratio and is a very clean print. Recommended unreservedly.
Chris Gwilliam
VINE VOICEon 22 September 2016
I bought this DVD because I had seen a portion of it on the TV and really enjoyed it. As I knew my sister would enjoy it I ordered a copy for her also. We both really enjoyed the film immensely! It was funny in parts and sad in parts. Funny how children saw the war as an adventure not realising the real horror of it!!!! A really entertaining film.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 March 2016
This is a great movie about a family living in Britain during the second world war. This is a classic wartime movie made in the 80s that I feel that there is still great and relevant for today.
on 6 September 2013
I bought this film to give my grand daughter an idea of what it was like to be a child in London in the blitz. She loved it. The make do and mend ethic demonstrated by the clothing swap centre, the women grabbing the parachute to make lingerie and the girl using an eyebrow pencil to draw stocking seams on her legs really caught her attention. Great stuff.
on 23 March 2009
One must remember that in 1939 no one expected Britain would be on the winning side in the second world war. 'Hope and Glory' is the scene meanwhile, back home in Blighty, as seen through the eyes of a young boy. Based on writer/ director John Boorman's own wartime experience, the story has ups and downs, its romantic its cynical and there are some wonderful comedy moments. If you've ever listened to older people talk about 'the war' and not quite believed everything they've said, then this film is for you. Yes, people were scared of the bombing, but they pulled together in face of an uncertain future. They also had fun.
on 13 May 2014
This film tells the story of a boys outlook on life in the war years. It is an extraordinary tale, it is serious, humorous, tragic and gives some insight into those difficult and turbulent years. The product arrived in good time.
on 22 January 2016
Only fault I saw was that the gas max cardboard box is correct but the gas mask is not. As a kid my gas mask was based on a Disney Charachter with long coloured ears and the eyepieces were also rimmed with colour.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse