on 6 June 2001
The Pogues were one of the unlikliest pop bands of the 80s, with their mad fusion of Irish folk and London punk, but their musical talent, and the lyrical brilliance of frontman Shane MacGowan, also made them one of the best. This compilation puts together (virtually) all their finest moments on one top value CD, from Latin carnival freakout 'Fiesta' to the desolate romance of 'A Pair of Brown Eyes', from the urban squalor of 'The Old Main Drag' to the blissed out sun-kissed tranquility of 'Summer in Siam'. For rousing rebel and drinking songs, there hasn't been a better band than The Pogues in the last twenty years. This CD is consistently enjoyable, funny, boisterous and tuneful, and more than occasionally poignant and profound. Their duet with the Dubliners on 'The Irish Rover' and everyone's favourite Christmas hit 'Fairy Tale of New York' (with the much lamented Kirsty MacColl) are of course included.
76 people found this helpful
on 30 May 2017
Brilliant collection that covers a broad range of hits. I know all the tracks so no surprise with the content but the nice thing is to have them on one CD that I can slot into my car CD player.

A great compilations for getting to know the Pogues and the perfect mix for fans.
on 27 December 2012
The product was fine - if you like the Pogues - it was for Her in doors. However, the Download was a total pain I had four or five goes at it - the reason being, that amazon kept telling me to download the mp3 downloader and then to restsrt Safari - which I did, again and again - what a fiasco. I buy CDs no problem, transaction take secs, finished, but amazon tells me that they have this new, improved downloading system - joke. A download system that is painless would let you click download and it would end up on your desktop in a trice, or into iTunes, smish, smash, smosh. I shall forgo the download pain in futre and wait for snail mail - slow but painless.
One person found this helpful
on 16 March 2015
Well .... what can be said about this CD. it'll make you smile, cry * roar all at once .+ all the way through. Very uplifting + nostalgic . What were you doing when the singles were releasd..?! Can you remember. Do you want to remember?!😃🎶
One person found this helpful
on 13 December 2012
This album is truly the best of the Pogues. If you've heard a song you like from this band it's probably on this album. I bought it as a bit of a party album and it delivers this in spades. I wouldn't sit still in a dark room to listen on my own but that's not what the Pogues are about. This is music for a good time and I'm pleased I bought it.
3 people found this helpful
on 1 April 2018
spot-on CD.
on 13 September 2015
I have been a fan of The Pogues for years ( since they began). The very best of the Pogues brings together some of their best songs . It does not disappoint. I would recommend this cd for any Pogues fan.
on 22 December 2016
One of the all time great bands with a fine selection of songs on this cd.
on 15 November 2017