Customer reviews

Discovery
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 April 2017
Close your eyes. Think of Christmas. Count to three. Make sure you know where you parked, because we're going in to space ;-) Wow. Just wow!!!
on 9 April 2017
son loved this cd
on 15 February 2016
AWESOME!!!!!
on 5 October 2017
Good album, nice heavy vynll
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 March 2015
Garage and dance music doesn't usually appeal to me, at all, but Daft Punk's now-classic dance album from 2002 is one of the expectations. 'Discovery' is something different, original, well-crafted and produced, and very uplifting. There's nothing overly 'cheesy' or particularly 'naff' on here, which are two words that spring to mind when I think about such music. These guys are talented musicians.

Highlights include the major hit 'One More Time' which always makes me smile and will get you in the mood for dancing, the rock-influenced 'Aerodynamiac', 'Digital Love', which is a ballad and that's rare for such an album, 'Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger' is another catchy single, and 'Face to Face' is another high point.

A nice, fun ride, 'Discovery' surprised me really, it's not bad at all.
on 15 November 2010
Daft Punk divide opinion like no other duo on earth. You either love or hate them. If you hate electronica, big beats and repetitive hooks you won't like them. Old people in particular seem to find them particularly annoying.

I first came across them when they released Da Funk from the Homework album and I remember thinking "Wow - this is something new and different". Discovery is an album I bought completely by accident - I saw it at HMV and made an impulse buy. It was a good decision - so much so that I wore out the CD and bought the MP3 version from Amazon.

Highlights on the album include Aerodynamic - a song that Jo Wiley played a lot on radio 1 in 2001. I suppose one more time is the album's most commercial release - it so nearly made it to number one in the charts and is such a strong feel good tune.

I love Voyager for it's simplicity and sheer brilliance as a chillout tune you can bop to. Night vision is also deliciously chilled. Superheroes and cresendolls are also strong tracks as is too long.

The weakest track on the album is probably something about us - it just isn't my kind of thing.

But if you love this album, I would recommend you invest in Alive 2007. Daft Punk are simply A-mazing live and are one of the few acts I would actually recommend buying a live album for. Around the world/harder better faster stronger is one of the greatest dance tunes ever.

Discovery is one album you simply have to have in your collection. Buy it now, for goodness sake.
on 6 October 2016
A fantastic album, something I used to listen to when I was younger, brings back many memories.
on 18 June 2013
like Daft Punks latest chart release Random Access Memories, then do yourself a favor and buy this album, you won't be disappointed. The first song "one more time" hooks you in with it's dance beat and signature vocoder voice. Then there's "Harder faster stronger", this music just makes you want to turn up the sound and dance, it's that addictive. Like R A M there is also light and shade on this album, night vision I particularly like with a bit of a 10cc sound through it.
Overall, sheer electro brilliance, am going to purchase their back catalogue asap!
on 18 August 2005
I'll start by saying that I am no fan of dance music in general. I'm a rocker (anything from Toto, Boston thru Metallica) and guitarist .. but when I heard this album, I had to get it. Whoever made this stuff are obviously talented musicians, as well as being able to wield the samplers and sequencers very skillfully. The tracks are so infectious, and it takes me back to being a little kid when I'd just listen to cheesy pop tunes - and love it. This stuff is so much more original and well crafted than the usual cheesy dance stuff, that usually makes me want to puke. The pop, and rock influence is obvious. The keyboard playing in 'harder faster' is fantastic, and the guitar solo in the wonderful 'Digital Love' is one of my favourite ever (and I'm a Vai and Satriani fan) - WHO PLAYED IT!!? I particularly like the way they use the electronica to warp the sounds of their guitars and keyboards. O.K., I believe they're using other peoples stuff in samples, but they do it so cleverly.
All in all, I think ANYONE who likes a nice hook and tune can get off on this stuff, and have a bit of a boogie !!
P.S. I think I first heard this album on a Gap Jeans ad with that actress Juliette Lewis (natural born killers) dancing with the daft punk robots (was that the actual guys?) to Digital Love. And they used it on Match of the Day!! LoL!!
on 13 March 2001
I've had the songs from the internet for several weeks now but I thought it wouldn't be fair to write a review 'till I bought my own copy (the album's just been released worldwide this very morning).
I'm not a Daft Punk fan, let's get that straight. I'm not that much into techno-music, certainly not into disco-funk. And I'm NOT giving this album 5 stars because continental (and more specifically French) music became HOT all of a sudden. Don't worry, Madonna knows what she's doing... Vive L'Europe ET les Etats Unis, prenons le meilleur des deux mondes!
'One More Time' In Europe we all know this track by heart, young and old: Eurodance with transformed vocals by Romanthony. It's really great but the rest of the album's better. Let's move on, now shall we... 'Aerodynamic' A song that consists of two parts: aggresive breakbeats and a really fast guitar solo with some synths. This track is MASSIVE! 'Digital Love' Pure guitar pop with filtered Daft Punk-vocals, folllowed by devastating breaks. Phoenix meets Supertramp. A 100% FM-summer hit! 'Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger' Filtered (again) disco-funk, but not to worry, their sound is ENORMOUS once again (nice 'contre-temps'). This is a clear stand-out track. Love it! 'Crescendolls' Extremely festive electro-house, a real party-track: a recurring gimmick, background voices with special effects and some filters. A Daft Punk-track like only Daft Punk can make 'em. 'Nightvision' Slow with mid-tempo rythms. It's a nice interlude. 'Superheroes' Pure Muscle Music. A mix of a hard house beat and a californian FM chorus, this is 'Star Wars' goes Disco. Easy but good. 'High Life' Real Daft Punk-voices brought up in crescendo. Simple plan but... MY GOD IT WORKS!!!!! 'Something About Us' Downtempo funk with some more delicious vocals by Thomas Bangalter. It's got a real laid back fancy edge to it. 'Voyager' Tender but firm. A very nice bassline with the usual guitar riffs and an 'ambiance mélancolique'. The Dafts show us their music can be subtle as well. It works for me! 'Veridis Quo' This is deep-electro with a sad vibe to it. This is not for the clubs but shows us Daft Punk have a lot up their sleeves... 'Short Circuit' Vintage Electro-funk meets modern electronics. Reminds me of Grand Master Flash (in part one) and the Aphex Twins' 'Windowlicker' (part two). First it SURPRISES, then it SEDUCES. 'Face To Face' The Perfect Daft Pop Song (with vocals by Todd Edwards). Brilliant, one of the best tracks on 'Discovery'! 'Too Long' This is a potential hit single with Romanthony on the vocals, like 'One More Time'. This track is no genious but it really works and delivers... The album ends like it begins: with a sure commercial hit.
All in all? PURE GENIOUS, BRILLIANT MUSIC but most of all A TON OF FUN and GROOVY DANCEFLOOR THEMES. Own this album and you (and everyone around you, for that matter) won't regret it. Discovery comes with an exclusive Daft Club membership card, where you get acces to every single new track or remix Thomas and Guy-Man want you to hear. And if that doesn't convince you I don't know what will...