Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Moana - Listen with Prime Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Download now Shop now

Customer reviews

Oklahoma!
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 June 2017
Excellent CD and well priced.
on 3 March 2011
The 2010 John Wilson Prom concert devoted to Rodgers & Hammerstein reminded me how much I had enjoyed their music and so I searched Amazon for soundtrack recordings. I was delighted to see that a remastered version of "Oklahoma" was available and that customer reviews were highly favourable. This (plus "Carousel") was then put on my Christmas list and it more than lived up to expectations. I would totally endorse what the other reviewers say about both the music and the quality of the recording.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Bought this for my wife. She got into it after she was told that in the 1950s I used to climb a tree in our garden and sing the songs from 'Oak la Home Huh' This was after we were taken to see the film, no popcorn or icecreams, then got the LP that Christmas that we played all the time on a gramaphone that used replaceable needles. She bought me the DVD as a joke as my singing days are long gone, watched it herself and liked the music so much she wanted this, it will end up on her MP3 player no doubt...She also likes Les Miserables! Sigh! I have a lot to put up with!
on 18 August 2016
A lot of effort has gone into the restoration and presentation of this release and it pays off in spades. The sound quality is superb and the stereo imaging is remarkable, especially as stereo was still in its infancy in 1955. The score is complete with the ballet sequences added to enhance your listening pleasure.

I saw this move in 1965 in Cinemascope and it was a memorable experience. I only wish I had seen the TOD-AO presentation which is even richer in both colour and sound. I worked at a suburban cinema in Sydney which was equipped with TODD-AO and 6 track stereophonic sound but that was in the early 60's so I missed seeing this wonderful movie.

I cannot recommend this CD enough and promise you will be transported to the Oklahoma plains as soon as the overture starts and well feel like you are back in the cinema again seeing this marvellous movie.
on 14 May 2001
At last a complete recording of the music from this classic film. It's been a long time coming but it was well worth the wait. Included on this disk is not only all the dance music, the reprise songs, but also the original overture, the overture as recorded for the original album and the entr'acte to Act 2. (presumably the film was originally made with an interval.) As with the re-issue of the West Side Story film soundtrack by Sony, the new material has been taken directly from the magnetic soundtrack of the film and therefore contains some dialogue and sound effects. For example: train noises in Kansas City and thunder in the Out of my Dreams Ballet. Even though these effects are not too obtrusive, I could see that to some people this might be a distraction and spoil the music. This CD has obviously been lovingly re-mastered and compiled and I congratulate the team involved. Up until the release of this CD the National Theatre, Original Cast recording would have been my choice as the best recording of this show, but now I'm not so sure!! I hope that many more re-issues of classic film soundtracks of this quality will become available - Soon.
22 Comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 19 November 2004
This is a disc full of great music. It won't be long before you find yourself singing along to one song or another; my favourite is 'The Farmer and the Cowman'- actually a very clever piece of music. Rodgers and Hammerstein were masters of their art and Oklahoma is, arguably, their very best.
The recording was made, amazingly, in 1954. You would never guess it. This is one of the very best soundtracks I have ever heard. It has warmth, clarity and a wide frequency range that bely its age. There is none of the distortion that some soundtrack recordings have. The remastering engineers should be proud of their work.
The presentation is excellent too. Lavish sleeve notes, technical information for those interested in such things, and best of all some great photographs. One photo is taken from the actors' viewpoint and shows no less than three huge cameras manned by a crew who look as though they should be in the film!
Absolutely superb.
11 Comment| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 24 July 2009
This new compilation brings together the original soundtrack recording (12 tracks) with 11 Gordon MacRae performances from the 1940s and 1950s. The sound quality is excellent throughout and the solo performances from Gordon MacRae compliment the soundtrack.

The inclusion of songs from Carousel is also an added plus providing on a single CD some of his finest performances along with novelty numbers. The charming A Rosewood Spinet", "Evelyn" is pure late 1940s. The CD is most attractively packaged but as with this series there are no liner notes which might disappoint some. However, I'd suggest that these are aimed clearly at the browser who given the opportunity to obtain original soundtrack recordings at a budget price will happily purchase.

The bonus tracks come from: The Best Things in Life are Free, 1956; This is Gordon MacRae 1956 and Studio recordings 1947-49. The large running time of almost 78 minutes makes this a best of budget selection.
on 12 December 2010
As I was growing up in pre-school years I used enjoy either hearing my Dad play the LP on his Pye black box, or him singing the songs on long journeys in the car. This CD recaptures all those treasured memories for which I am very grateful.
on 4 October 2013
Regardless of how cheap I got this (TOTAL VFM!) I was delighted to hear a few old favourites that took me back to my childhood when Mum & Dad would listen to "The Light Programme" (I think it was called) during Sunday lunch, and I now know that most of the requests were followed up with songs from musicals, such as a couple of old favourites from here that everyone knows but probably wasn't aware... a little gem.
on 15 August 2016
Very good soundtrack painstakingly restored crisp stereo all the music from the film excellent.