Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle George Michael - MTV Replugged Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more

Customer reviews

The Omen [DVD] [1976]
Format: DVD|Change

on 11 November 2007
I saw this movie when i was 7 ,and it has always been one of my favourite Horror movies.
The premise of The Omen comes from the end times prophecies of Christianity. The story, set in Fulham, England; tells of the childhood of Damien Thorn, who was switched at birth with the stillborn child of a wealthy American diplomat. Damien's family is unaware that he is actually the offspring of Satan and destined to become the Antichrist. His father, Robert Thorn (named Jeremy Thorn in the original book), eventually begins to realize this with the help of a photographer named Keith Jennings, after numerous people connected to Damien begin dying in tragic accidents.

If you dont own this film, buy it now.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 November 2014
i will admit i only watched this for the first time and have watched the remake a few times which wasnt bad to me but after watching the original, holy satan is all i can say, this is brilliant, it really is. The atmosphere is unlike anything i have seen before, this is eerie, this is dark, deprived, ungodly, dark and demonic and chilling. The kid is brilliant, the evil flows in his looks, a child he isnt but a child he looks but he doesnt look innocent, brilliant. The nanny is sick as fxxk and i loved her. the pacing is magnificent, the film score is majestic and adds so much. The cast is blistering, this is easily, hands down one of the greatest horrors of all time.
on 15 September 2015
An old favourite 'horror story' of mine, had it on DVD just wanted to update it to Blu- Ray for better picture quality. A good price for a classic horror story.
on 8 December 2003
I remember the time when i was 5 or 6 and used to hide behind the sofa while watching 'Thriller' but then i watched countless horror films, especially Hammer Horror and the Friday 13th films and began to feel immune to the scares they had to offer. Then when i was about 8 i watched 'The Omen'. At that age it was the dogs in the cemetery that stood out, especially as my best friend had a Rottweiler for a household pet. At that age and with hindsight i can say it is one of the best, if not the best horror i have seen. The actors are impressive with the likes of Gregory peck and patrick Troughton shining. There are famous actors to appeal to Americans. There are good British Actors and English scenes to appeal to our own nation lending a hand of authenticity for us. You have inventive death scenes, a plot with dimensions and a great musical score. A lot of good horrors motion to the idea of religion e.g. The Exocist and Dracula films but i feel it is 'The Omen' that does the best job. I liked the approach of 'Stigmata' but sometimes you realise the classics do it better and this is one of them. If not the main one.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 June 2007
The Omen was the first horror film I ever saw at the cinema. At the time it made a huge impression on me. I've probably seen in on TV since then, but certainly it didn't have the same impact on me then. So when I came to watch the DVD I wasn't really expecting that much from the film.

Well I was wrong. On DVD in widescreen on a decent size widescreen TV this is still a terrific film. Some of the set pieces are brilliantly done and the cast are all good. Gregory Peck and David Warner steal the acting honours, although Patrick Troughton and Billie Whitelaw who both have small key roles are very good as well.

Of course this film probably wouldn't have happened if The Exorcist hadn't been made. It isn't as good a film as the The Exorcist, but in many ways its much more entertaining. Make sure you see the 1976 original version, before watching the remake from last year. I haven't seen the new version, but apparently its pretty much a shot for shot remake and as such is rather pointless, and therefore it will spoil the original for you if you see it first.
on 16 August 2015
This is A Brilliant Horror Classic that not only spawned three Sequels but began a Slew of similarly themed Devil Flicks.A Classic of the genre.
on 8 February 2015
This movie has dated since it came out originally but has still got some good acting notably Gregory Peck Blu-ray transfer grainy
on 23 May 2006
The Omen is a great film. I only watched it recently with 2 of my friends, after being told that it was a great scary movie. Well, it was!! The acting was ok, and from what we could tell from behind our hands, the movie was really good!

The music is scariest, and in the worst, scariest scenes, we worked out a way to lose the scare a bit. If it's too scary - Laugh. It kind of got rid of our fear of Damien (the devil boy) coming to get us!

oh .. also .. Keep anything resembleing a Rottweiler / Doberman out the room - they are really creepy in the graveyard scene in this film!
on 4 August 2002
I know The Oman is an 18 but my mom allowed me to watch it when i was still at junior school and around the age of 10. She told me it was a brilliant film and wasnt at all scary, and being the curious child I was I believed her! Well it terrified me and when you think about it that's what a good horror film is designed to do, and even now I am 18 it still scares me to the point of not being able to move and being glued to the seat while watching it! But seriously if you are looking for a classic horror movie without the blood, nudety and all the usual stuff The Omen is one I would recommend every time. Just make sure that you have a pillow ready to hug!!!
on 8 September 2013
This film is a 1970s horror classic. There is not that much gore and guts; the film's chilling aspects are more psychological and are backed up by the the haunting music. I wish that films like this were still made.