Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£6.77+ £1.26 shipping

VINE VOICEon 14 January 2004
I thought i'd buy this album as a reminder of youthful days listening to the NWOBHM and am pleased I did as I found it hugely enjoyable.
Although lumped into the bandwagon that was the NWOBHM Quartz were always one of those second division bands destined never to scale the heights of an Iron Maiden or even Saxon and the reasons why are highlighted within this Cd.
The new wave of British Heavy Metal was all about a youthful spin on the old Rock dinosaur taking it's essence from the dying punk rock explosion of the late 70's early 80's and thus giving the somewhat staid hard rock of the UK a well needed kick up the bum!Therefore as in the PUnk days record companies clamoured to sign their "own" Heavy Metal bands and very half arsed band of chancers grew their hair,dragged on the Spandex and bought a Marshall amplifier to get in on the act.
Now, I would not begin to suggest that Quartz were any bandwagon jumpers it's just that they were a little ahem, Old and they didn;'t really have the right image for many people.
Peppering their live shows with cover versions of Mountain (Nantucket Sleighride) Chuck Berry (Roll over Beethoven) Etc didn't help either!.
Anyhow, on to this Cd.
It seems to me given the title of this album that it has been ressurected from old live tapes and demo's etc that somebody found and decided to bring to the light of day.
The music is hard to pin down with a great hard rock sound and vocals reminiscent in places of Ian Gillan and some excellent Guitar playing but is hampered for me by the rotten production.
The bass is incredibly low in the mix and the lead guitar so high I can only presume the guitarist ( My memory tells me his name was Malcolm Cope?) produced it!
The sad thing about this cd is that if the band had been given some decent studio time with a top notch producer at the helm then they really could have shone as the quality of the song writing and musician ship employed is exemplary.
I remember buying their singles "Nantucket Sleighride" and "Satans Serenade" the former is included here in its live form and is in my opinion better than the Mountain original but sadly no "Satans serenade" which is an absolute stonker.
Id love to see a good retrospective of the band but in the meantime this cd whets my whistle for more and if you are a fan of bands like Budgie or Led Zep this may be right up your alley
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse