Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now

Format: DVD|Change

on 4 August 2001
Along came a spider is a film that you will not forget in a hurry. It's packed with suspense, action and superb acting, with Morgan Freeman truely showing just why he is one of the greats. Agreeably, once you have seen the film, the ending is not hard to forget and does spoil it if you want to see the film again, but believe me once you have seen it ,you will just want to see it again and again and again!!!Truely brilliant.
on 4 November 2001
Wow. This has to be one of the greatest thrillers ever, for a simple reason: It actually keeps you thrilled. Morgan Freeman gives a great performance here, and you actually believe him whilst he's acting.
The story is about a senator's daughter who is kidnapped, and Det. Alex Cross is on the team to find her. Sounds simple, but the things that happen along the way make this an essential DVD to have in your collection.
on 14 March 2007
Firstly, this is not a bad film in and of itself. Morgan Freeman makes a great Alex Cross and the story is quite interesting. I was looking forward to watching this after thoroughly enjoying the book it is based on, and that is where my mistake lay. The book is a fantastic, harrowing tale, but the film removes most of the interesting elements and gives us a lacklustre ending.
What made me give it 1 star is knowing what an amazing film this *could* have been if it had stuck more closely to the book.
on 9 January 2006
After reading the James Patterson book and loving it, I couldn't wait to see the film. I was extremely disappointed with the film and wished I didn't bother. It follows the plot of the book, very loosely, but they have also changed the plot quite a lot. At first I thought maybe they couldn't keep exactly to the book, but then I watched Kiss The Girls, and that is exactly the same as the book. My boyfriend watched the film, and he didn't enjoy it at all, said it was too jumpy and didn't make much sense, he hasn't read the book.
So if you are a James Patterson fan, and enjoyed the book as much as I did, don't bother with this film.
VINE VOICEon 23 June 2009
When the incredible writer of Kiss The Girls and Along Came a Spider troubles to put pen to paper you would think they would make a better film than this. Standard kidnapping of a child by a psychopath investigated by Alex Cross and his partner with a twist and throughout falls to pieces. 2 huge complaints why make the 2 films in the wrong order and why kill of Patterson's best psycho Gary Soneji superbly played by the actor from the Crow that I cant remember his name.

Miss this and read the book instead.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 September 2012
I think that Norman Freeman is an excellent actor, and I don't think that I've ever seen him in a bad film. 2001's 'Along Came A Spider' is a great movie, a psychological thriller with an ending that will come as a complete surprise. It is the prequel to the 1997 hit 'Kiss The Girls', I have yet to see this film, but fully intend to give it a watch very soon.

As for the story, a brilliant criminal kidnaps a senator's young daughter and requires more than just a ransom, Freeman's character Alex Cross is a famous detective and best-selling author who sets out to find the little girl. With plenty of twists and turns around every corner, this is one of those increasingly hard-to-find thrillers that will actually have you guessing all the way through it.

Complete with some predictably solid acting, not just from Mr. Freedman, but from everyone involved, if you have yet to see 'Along Came A Spider', it's well worth a purchase on DVD.
on 19 September 2007
Had me gripped from start to finish. James Patterson, the author, has written several Alex Cross stories and only one other (Kiss the girls) has been made into a film as far as i know. Let's hope they do more.

Morgan Freeman plays Alex Cross in this really fast paced thriller, which has a great mix of action and suspence. You really want to see this one.
on 8 June 2008
After reading along came a spider I though I'd invest in the film. Not one of my best buys. Although the film itself is good, this is nothing like the book and is therefore a bit of a letdown. Morgan Freeman was a good choice as Alex Cross and he potrays him well. But the film is nothing like the book so it only gets 2 stars from me.
on 26 September 2003
‘Morgan Freeman’ returns for the second time to fit into the shoes of Alex Cross as his role repeats itself from the previous 'Kiss the Girls'. Whilst his police detective turned psychologist role remains the same, the movie itself seems to have risen in quality, grasping the audience and forcing it to snap at the heels of the plot for the duration of the film. It follows a number of twists, all of which leading from the film's basic kidnapping- of Megan Rose, a well brought up, young child from prep-school who happens to be the daughter of a senator. Of course, the ransom scenario becomes entirely predictable and in the respect the film follows this tradition.
The plot would immediately suggest a tired formula, but Cross' portrayed intelligence combined with the cat and mouse essence involving the kidnapper, manages to provide the tension and suspense that the audience thrives to keep them on the edge of their seats.
Based on a ‘James Patterson’ novel, the movie never outstays it's welcome or goes overboard with plot twists. Enough clues provide a logical entertainment but of course the movie needs strong acting support to keep it flowing. ‘Morgan Freeman’ not only gets the job done but he does so with a typical style and class which you have learnt to expect from him, he openly deserves the credit in propelling the film into a larger public eye.
The changing role of Cross' partner, Jezzie Flannigan is performed to a more than satisfying degree by ‘Monica Porter’. It's obviously apparent that 'Along Came a Spider' reveals her matured, more complex side as an actress, as she persuades and deceives with the audience's minds.
Whilst the film strings out the occasional flaw, it manages to turn a tried and tired formula into something more memorable and entertaining. Whether it be due to the overall likeability of ‘Morgan Freeman’, the flowing plot twists or even the believable ‘Mika Boorem’ featuring as the young Megan Rose (whose role is executed with a standout realism), 'Along Came a Spider' exceeds the average limits of it's predecessor 'Kiss the Girls' and comes across as an enjoyable breathe of fresh air not only to it's genre but to cinema on the whole...
'Along Came a Spider' 83/100
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (0-10) The 'Miss-its'
** (11-40)
*** (41-70)
**** (71-90)
***** (91+) Only achievable by the 'Elite'
on 21 August 2006
Not one for TV or movies much, our son suggested we, (especially me, as I've written a few twisty-ending thrillers in me time!), watch this. That every movie Morgan Freeman has made, (that I've watched), was and has been excellent, along with our son's recommendation, I sat and watched. Intrigueing, yes! It kept my backside firmly planted in the seat, which is difficult for me as I give any movie 20 minutes and if I'm not hooked, I'm gone. Thoroughly recommend it, and the double-twist is excellent. Wish I'd written this blighter I'd be right proud!