Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change
Price:£4.14+ £1.26 shipping

on 11 June 2006
Firstly, I am not at all religious, and though I am not fully aware of the changes made to the original story, I can't say it differed much from the story I remember being taught as a child. In my mind, this film does it exactly as it sets out to do, entertain whilst delivering one of the most well-known and influential biblical stories of all time.

The animation is top notch, a mixture of both CGI and hand-drawn, whilst the characters all have a beautifully chiselled design I have come to know and love from Dreamworks animation. The voice actors all do a top-notch job and I can say there is not one song in this film that I don't adore! All the songs and music just fit perfectly.

I first saw this film when I was about ten years old, a year or so after it came out and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Now, as an older teen, I still do and can see no reason why other children or adults wouldn't. Perhaps younger children under the age of eight might find the graphical interpretation of the plagues distressing but as a ten year old I certainly didn't and doubt I would have had I been even younger.

Perhaps what I find most attractive about this film is the fact that although it depicts a religious story, it in no way screams for the watcher to either believe or disbelieve the story it portrays, instead it merely points them to the book of Exodus if they want to read it for themselves.

Whatever your beliefs this is a fantastic film all round.
on 6 March 2014
Whether you follow any specific religion/faith or not, I find it difficult to see how anyone could say that this isn't an amazing story. Take away the religious content, you're still left with a very passionate story about oppression, discovering who you truly are, giving a voice to those who would otherwise remain silent and finding the strength to face a difficult situation and do what is right. The general story is one that has popped up in various places, but DreamWorks just made a production of the traditional story found in the Bible.

Speaking as someone who lives on a wish rather than a prayer and stacks her copy of the Bible and the Tanakh on the same shelf as Grimm, Anderson, Kipling and Aesop, I didn't find The Prince of Egypt at all bias or preachy. There obviously had to be references to faith and God, but there was nothing that suggested all audience members should believe in a specific entity or that anyone followed the 'wrong' faith. Instead of presenting religious conflict, it was moral conflict - i.e. leading slaves to freedom.

It is rated 'U' but, in my opinion, it really stretches the limits. The plague scene in particular is quite graphic and the beginning scene where you see how badly the slaves are being treated and the killing of the babies is really quite heart-wrenching - something the written texts never quite capture.

While a fair amount of artistic licence has been taken, the actual events from Moses being cast adrift in the river to his leading the Hebrews to their own land are accurate enough to tell the story. The characters were all brought beautifully to life with qualities and flaws, emotions and feelings and, being able to relate with them was quite surprising, but very well done. While in the text, there is no close brotherly relationship between Moses and Ramesses (I don't think Ramesses is even the Pharaoh mentioned in the texts - I could be wrong) it brought a new level of emotional turmoil to the story. The fact that they had a connection made the plagues and the last few scenes all the more devastating. Unless you are a very very devout follower (which is fine - I understand that) I wouldn't think the use of artistic licence would be enough to cause offence.

As far as animation goes, I was a bit dubious. Having previously watched Sinbad (which I gave up on) and El Dorado, which I enjoyed but is rather badly animated in some ways, I was very surprised by the quality presented in this. The details of the scenery and, even the 'extra' characters is almost breath-taking. From the colours and tones used in the images to the attention paid to the slightest breeze (the first river-scene with Jochebed for example) and the way Moses keeps shrugging his too-big robe onto his shoulder is fairly astounding. I'm not sure it would kick Disney off the scale, but it definitely sets a strong precedent for DreamWorks.

My favourite sequence is 'Through Heaven's Eyes' where we see the time Moses spends in Midian and truly begins to embrace who he is and finds contentment as a shepherd and a husband to Tsippora. The entire sequence is probably five minutes long - there are no long-drawn out romance scenes or big life-lessons thrown at you, but the sentiments are there.

The soundtrack is what, for me, throws this entire production onto a completely different level. Not only do the songs move things along quickly, but clearly (as mentioned about in 'Through Heavens Eyes') but the musical pieces range from sinister to soft to cheerful and rousing. The music that supported the plagues sequence was almost frightening while the River Lullaby was the heart-breaking lines amongst a very angry and desperate musical piece (Deliver Us)

At the minute, this has been placed near the top of my list of favourite animated films purely for every element that creates it - from the story and the characters, to the music and scenery. In my opinion, there is no really weak element - even the priests who were maybe there for comic relief weren't out of place. A definite recommendation.
on 3 June 2017
on 16 May 2017
Not the best, but OK for small children.
on 11 August 2017
Thank you.
on 22 July 2017
pleased with item
on 1 April 2017
The product looked OK but there was serious lumps which skipped during playing. Its a fantastic film nevertheless.
on 5 May 2017
Good dvds great music and story
on 30 April 2017
Good film but dvd getting funny
on 28 May 2017
Arrived earlier than stated, very happy.