Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 28 May 2017
The fact is, I have seen this plot innumerable times on Law and Order and all those similar cop/lawyer shows. It's just not very interesting. We all know what is going to happen. There's no tension. Of course, ordinary plot can be compensated for by strong characters, but here the characters are also pretty one-dimensional. James Woods as Eddie Dodd over-acts, and I don't buy his character's sudden change from defending scuzzy drug-dealers for cash bonuses, to caring once again about the people he defends. There's just no reason given for it. I think we were supposed to get the idea that he sees his former self in the younger and idealistic Roger Baron (Downey), except we don't see any evidence of this transition, we only know this because it's a standard of any movie featuring the older jaded mentor and the young fresh tyro. Downey has very little to do, everything focuses on Dodd's journey. And Dodd is just not a compelling character.
on 23 November 2010
This is James Woods at his best. Never known to play against type, here Woods puts in a blistering performance as a cynical, burnt-out criminal defence lawyer, once a darling of the civil liberties camp, but now an amoral hack defending drug-dealing scumbags and other skells that no-one else will touch.
For reasons that are never made totally clear - something to do with the arrival from the DA's office of newly-qualified lawyer Robert Downey Jr, who is attached to him as a sort of apprentice - he elects to dig up an old case and try to overturn the watertight conviction of a Korean youth, convicted of murdering a drug dealer in plain view of about six thousand witnesses. The pair of them burrow and ferret away, re-interviewing old witnesses and case officers and gumshoeing around until...
I won't give any more of the plot away here. It doesn't sound any different, the way I've described it, to dozens of other legal procedurals, and in most ways it isn't. But what sets it apart is Woods' performance. The man has screen-presence in bucketloads and by half-way through has you sitting on the edge of your seat, willing him to succeed. At the end I felt I'd seen a top-notch thriller, and really that's all that matters where films like this are concerned. Next to him, Downey (who everyone seems to swoon over as the greatest screen actor since Hurd Hatfield) is as a feather on the breath of God. But then, when Woods is on form, so is everyone else (except Brian Dennehy - see "Best Seller").
Stay in and watch it.
on 20 June 2017
I watched this video with my brother. The outcome is unexpected. The special effects of the film are really good. The two main characters of the emotional performance of people laughing. I don't know what other people think, but I think it's a good movie. The plot was dramatic and thrilling.
on 29 November 2014
Watched the movie years back and had recorded it but my current dvd recorder wouldn't recognise my recording so when I could get hold of it at a decent price..
on 10 March 2015
Great film. Very "of its time" great suspense film and Robert Downey Jr. is always worth watching.
on 26 January 2013
James Woods he is a nut case
I like him cause of that

in a dramatic movie
he is funny
and add good humor
It is a must see movie, if you like James Woods
on 1 May 2015