Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 18 March 2001
Hmm what can i say?? This was just an excellent soap, based in London with 6 house mates living and working together. Now as it's finally being released on DVD, this is a must for your collection and most certainly will be added to mine.
on 8 April 2011
it was great to revisit This Life, afer so many years, I'm surprised it hasn't been aired more often, it was/is well written and well acted and remains a standout production from that time
on 4 April 2003
Yes we all agree that its one of the best TV dramas for years, but where is the DVD!!! I threw my tape machine out last century.
on 4 April 2013
Loved this series back in the 90's 1st time around, I hoped it would feel just as good watching it on dvd, disappointed!
on 6 January 2011
I'm not quite as die-hard a fan as the other reviewers seem to be, but nevertheless enjoyed watching this series again recently. I liked it more this time around, I think, than I did in 1996/1997 when it first aired. Amy Jenkins's script makes for psychologically and emotionally accurate characters but there were some implausibilities, I found: the Miles-Delilah storyline seemed a bit ridiculous and while I could understand Anna wanting to use Egg's father as a weapon to reach Miles emotionally by tempting him towards jealousy, the Anna-Jerry affair required quite a suspension of disbelief...

Jenkins laid on the social realism too thickly in places so that it became self-conscious: the ubiquitous Definitely Maybe poster bluetacked onto the wall, Oasis's Champagne Supernova and Radiohead's Fake Plastic Trees booming out of the speakers, etc. What I did find refreshing, though, was that it didn't shy away from showing the woman as the sexually frustrated partner in a long-term relationship: Milly seeks to coax Egg into regenerating their sex life until she falls for the (rather unexplained) charms of her older boss O'Donnell. Another refreshing aspect of the series was its integration of therapy: This Life begins, in fact, in the therapist's office with Warren trying to work through his feelings of never quite belonging and his gradual coming-out to his family. The sexually charged flirtation between Warren and the jet-black-haired courier Fergy was well done, as is the frission of sexual energy and mutual love-hate of Anna and Miles. The producers didn't approach the character of Anna - chain-smoking and dancing her anxieties away while hiding her emotional needs behind a bolshy, forthright veneer - patronisingly: she is shown as a force to reckon with rather than simply as "feisty" or "sassy" (or any other adjectives so frequently attached to women who differentiate themselves from doormats).

Funniest scene: Fed up of listening to Miles and Delilah bumping & grinding in the room next door, Anna phones Delilah on her mobile to tell her to get a move on...

Most annoying scene: Egg's perpetual football references and his fascination with Alan Hansen.
on 11 November 2010
This series is one of the best the BBC produced in the 90's. About a group of young professionals living together as they start out in their careers. Must be watched. Just a shame they never made the 3rd series..
on 1 May 2013
I first saw this on BBC America in 1996 or 1997. I had them all recorded to VHS but when I finally got a region free player this was the first thing I bought. Loved it then and I love it now.
on 25 December 2013
Quality copy. Fantastic series offering interest for all age groups. A good few hours of enjoyment for the whole family.
on 4 March 2013
This is by far the greatest tv show ever. Highly addicted. Please please please buy this, you will not be dissapointed.
on 4 November 2014
I loved this series and wanted to enjoy it again. This set is good and I will keep it in my collection.