Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Arcade Fire Shop now Fitbit

Customer reviews

1,204
Format: VHS Tape|Change
Price:£8.40+ £2.80 shipping

on 18 July 2017
There are a lot of adverse criticisms of the quality of Beauty and the Beast DVDs in these reviews, but let me make it clear that here I am reviewing the Amazon Video HD Version of the Sing-Along version of Beauty and the Beast and it is absolutely superb, both in terms of picture quality and sonic rendition.

It is a work of magic from beginning to end, with the words in the songs popping up on the screen in such a way that the viewer is able to follow and join in the singing of the lyrics.

Well, I enjoyed it anyway and will be watching it repeatedly in the future.
on 14 July 2012
I absolutely adore this film for so many reasons but one of them is the immensely likeable cast. Belle is the perfect leading female for this film, and like all Disney 'princesses', she is gorgeous, has a wonderful singing voice, and is destined to live happily ever after! Paige O'Hara voices the character perfectly, from her rich speaking voice full of emotion, to that gorgeous singing voice which captures the innocence of Belle so well, and is now one of the iconic female Disney voices. There's nothing dislikeable about Belle, she's simply perfect and we love her all the more for it. In turn, Robby Benson voices the Beast, and his gruffness works so well with the softness of Belle, and he has a lovely singing voice too in 'Something There'. The fabulous Jerry Orbach voices the candlestick Lumiere, one of my favourite characters in the film, and is cast alongside the amazing Angela Lansbury as Mrs Potts... you'd know that voice anywhere, and she seems perfectly cast as the caring housekeeper-turned-teapot! Each of the cast take their turns in singing roles, and it all comes together to create one of the best Disney soundtracks.

One great thing about this film is that there is no complicated meaning to find within it, it's just simply about teaching us that love can prevail when you look beyond the other person's appearance, as Belle is able to for the Beast. Beast is convinced that he is unloveable, and as such treats those around him disrespectfully and rudely. Belle is able to show him the error of his ways and through her attitude and friendliness is able to turn him around and show the gentle, loving side she knows is there. It's a tale of true love, and is extremely emotional to watch, even for an animated film. The gentle scenes involving Belle and Beast are so sweet, with the music accompanying them perfectly, and it is a joy to watch from start to finish. Yes, it's convenient that they start off hating each other and it turns to love, but that is part of the magic of Disney for me! Beast's lesson of learning to change for love is an important one - changing for the better, and as Mrs Potts sings... 'bittersweet and strange, finding you can change, learning you were wrong' - I'm sure we could all take something away from that line.
The songs in this film are just magical, and it won't take long for them to be embedded in your musical memory forever! I found myself singing along quietly in the cinema while the main songs in the film played, and I loved them just as much now as I did as a young girl. The movie opens with the brilliant 'Belle', a fairly long musical number introducing us to Belle, Gaston and her village. It's such a happy song, and very iconic for the movie. The wonderful 'Something There' is a duet between Belle and the Beast, with other singing by Lumiere, Cogsworth and Mrs Potts, I particularly love the sequence in the movie for this song, it really shows the change in relationship for these characters. My favourite song, and favourite scene in the whole movie is the absolutely perfect 'Beauty and the Beast', sang beautifully by Angela Lansbury (Mrs Potts). The moment those infamous piano chords hit and Belle emerges in the iconic yellow dress... wow, that is movie history right there, and the audible of the little girls in the audience just made it all the more precious. 'Be Our Guest' is the most uptempo of the numbers, involving the enchanted household objects, and is so wonderful to watch on-screen, full of action, colour and is mesmerising for young children and adults alike... try to avoid singing along to that one!

The animation in the film was flawless, and both Harry and I really enjoyed watching the whole thing. It is the traditional style Disney animation, rather than the CGI of their more modern releases 'Tangled' and 'Cars', but it's perfect as it is. Harry had reservations that it was a film for girls, but afterwards told me he loved the Beast and how Belle fell in love with him at the end. Everything about this film comes together to create a cinematic masterpiece, and became the first animated movie to nominated for the Best Picture Oscar... rightfully so too. There's something magical about watching the beautiful girl fall in love with the Beast, and the magic surrounding them both... no matter how old you, you can't fail to be moved by the movie, especially that tear-jerker of an ending. Every little girl will want to be Belle after watching this, and I could watch that famous ballroom scene again and again. I loved everything about this movie, and the fact it is still so popular 22 years after it's release speaks volumes - amazing Disney at it's best.
on 20 February 2017
What can we say about this film that hasn't already been said......probably nothing. It's an absolute classic piece of Disney film making, I loved it as a child and I love it now. If your children haven't seen it, or if you haven't seen it (who needs kids for Disney films!) then buy it, watch it and love it!
on 25 May 2017
My favourite Disney animated film, it just doesn't put a foot wrong from start to finish. I had to buy another copy as I managed to lose my original (eek!) In my opinion it's better than the new live action version (good as it is). Brilliant voice actors, songs & great animation which still looks good today.
on 8 November 2010
Beauty and the beast is a masterpiece, although I have to admit, I'm more excited for the diamond double play pack for the Lion King, due next Autumn, so I'll probably be able to pre-order again in September/October, although there wasn't much point for this film, since it came 5 days after release, and the price didn't change when it was officially released, but YAY all the same. As said before, the bonus feature disc is Blu-Ray, but I would buy this over the DVD alone, because you still get the DVD copy, but with a Blu-ray disc for only a couple of £s more! I don't have a Blu-Ray player, but I thought it was worth investing in a Blu-ray copy because I probably will have one soon (and I can watch it in HD at Christmas when my brother brings his PS3 home :D)and it will take the film to hopefully a whole new level of animated beauty.
One thing I haven't worked out is what exactly the 3 versions of the film are. Of course, when you press play you get 'Beauty and The Beast'...although for those of you who aren't aware, it's an extended version with a new song and scene in it. I wonder if the other versions are just the sing-a-long and the commentary version, or if there are 2 other options I haven't worked out how to find yet.
Oh, and I have to say, the CGI obvious background in the iconic ballroom scene freaked me a bit, since I was sure it used to be drawn, but it still looked good.

All in all, a beautiful film,that adults will enjoy, not just for kids! And don't forget to get it before it disappears back into the Disney vault for another 10 years or so!
on 27 April 2017
Watched when the kids were young and still watch it with a great story and content.
on 20 February 2016
No complaints, took a while to get to me but did not mind as the dvd was cheap. The special feature game on the disc dreadful. The movie good and quality good.
on 24 June 2017
Girlfriend loves the packaging. As for the movie, its the original disney classic!
on 15 April 2017
Thank-you very much really pleased with this item
on 21 May 2017
as described, delivered when promised, very happy