Customer reviews

Asquarius
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 June 2015
After Leggy Mambo I wanted more of the same and it was clear that CUD didn't really want to let me down. Asquarius is a bit of a forgotten gem, it gave the band comercial success at the zenith of the indie days and paved the way for a more polished CUD production.

I owe it 5 stars as It helped me get through my A levels resits. From depressing grade E to Cudtastic grade A, this album put the juice in the tank!
on 22 February 2017
Later offerings from cud a more polished sound on this label, still sounds great
on 2 May 2012
I'm not going to do an in depth review of this album. There are other reviews that do that very well.
All I will say is, WHY WEREN'T CUD MASSIVE!?!!
This album is genius from start to finish...
on 14 September 2015
cudtastic classic
on 23 December 2005
A neat, more polished follow up to Leggy Mambo, and an altogher more diverse sound. The usual CUD trademarks are all there, including the heavy bass and chunky guitars. Carl's voice is even stronger than before, and it always baffles me that he never got more recognition as one of the '90's truly unique and charismatic vocalists. His voice has an almost cocky, swaggering depth and range, and he excels both when crooning along to the cheesily sentimental "Once Again" and hollering the house down to the the blues rock "No Smoking". And, as usual, there are some very original, clever songs here. "Through the Roof" is a quirky, humourous, original song with witty lyrics, as are "Pink Flamingos" and "Sometimes Rightly". "Possession" is a fantastic drivers' song for the lovers of loud, fast guitar music. A good album, but like all CUD albums, probably a little too quirky to succeed in the mainstream!
on 21 August 2007
Universal Music Catalogue have re-issued the Mighty Cud band's hit album that took them from art school to the front cover of the NME.

Asquarius rocked into the Top 30 on its release in 1992 and is home to the hits Rich & Strange, Through The Roof and Once Again. Following hot on the heels of their two classic cult albums 'When In Rome, Kill Me' and 'Leggy Mambo' it was the band's first for a major, having signed amid a bidding frenzy to A&M because they liked the trumpet in the logo. Allegedly.

The album is a collection of well crafted, quirky pop songs with bags of personality, intelligent lyrics, catchy tunes and a rye sense of humour. It lifted the band from indie stalwarts to a chart bothering major label success, and even defined a new genre, Lion Pop.

The album has now been remastered and comes with bonus material including 3 previously unreleased tracks, b-sides, and live recordings.

This re-issue includes a 16 page booklet stuffed with sleevenotes from the band, and the album producer Jon Langford (of The Mekons).
on 20 June 2004
Many years ago Cud released a song called Through the Roof, I saw it as a cassette single in a bargain bin for 50p. I thought 50p on a band I knew nothing about was worth a punt. I played it all the way home on my walkman - I was so impressed that by the time I made it home I had decided to lay my hands on absolutely anything else I could get by Cud. What I got was Asquarius.
It is a very rare day when you buy an album that you like ALL songs on. This album fell into that category (As does just about everything else they produced.)
I played this album constantly until I wore the tape out. It would be hard to pick out favorites as, with any good album, I kept changing my mind every time I listened to it.
If you liked the singles of this period: i.e. Through the Roof, Rich and Strange, Purple Love Balloon - you should like the rest. It it quite simply very uplifting to listen to. Perfect summer driving music. Even its slower tune Spanish Love Song brings a smile to your face.
I cannot recomend this album enough. If you like this then you should like the follow up showbiz which is very similar in style - they could have quite easily been put together a double album.
on 11 February 2005
It baffles me why Cud didn't hit it big with this. Cracking songs, with wit, honesty and poignancy in all of them. And some damn fine tunes tying it all together. Even me, a doom & gloom Tindersticks and Joy Div fan would be hard pushed to leave this off my MP3 collection-it's a cracker.
Think of it as a more fun version of the Stuffies with a little more surrealism and you can't go wrong.
Mind you, a bit hard to track down these days...
on 12 July 2012
Keep it short. as there are enough decent reviews, bought this first time round on cassette, and only recently due to family break up, have i started listening to my old vinyl and cassette's again, amazing what you miss, brilliant album, and an outstanding vocal bringing...
on 11 September 2008
i love it.
simple.
i work in the head office of one of the big 4.
and believe me this is conspiratorial.
ya kna what i mean.
super fine and always dandy..