Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 April 2001
Every student in the 90s would have loved Lush, whether they realised it at the time or not. A soundtrack for a generation, from the shoe-gazing lows to the power-pop highs - I never realised I knew any Lush at all until one day I downloaded an MP3 by accident. Then I realised that these were the songs that were always on at the Indie nights. These were the songs that would click on to the jukebox from time to time in the Union bar. Melody Maker and NME darlings, I tried never to get too involved. I'm older now. I can take that risk.
And this risk is worth it! The girls and boys knew how to write and deliver songs and did it time and time again with perfect style and panache. From the upbeat Hypocrite, to the dry humour of Ladykillers and over to the downward haze of Nothing Natural - point your heart's ear towards this band's music and you'll go on a rollercoaster ride of emotion.
Ciao! Too bad you had to go so soon. But the brightest stars fade in the cloudiness of reason. Lush, a band taken from us before their time was truly over...
on 1 February 2002
This could've been a great album to crown a great career. But, as ever, with greatest hits collections, there are some good tracks, some great tracks, and some that you can just skim over. Yes, it should be noted that all their singles are represented here. However the cloying rhymes of 'Alluring' and 'Turin'(500) makes me cringe. I would've liked to have seen 'Scarlet' make it on here, as well as 'Undertow'. Possibly if they had been bolder they could have dispensed with 'Single Girl' in favour of 'The Childcatcher'. And why is 'Love at First Sight' added? If they wanted a b-side try 'Starlust' (also an album track) or the gorgeous 'Astronaut'.
Nevertheless, as an introduction to the band it does chart their steady progression from indie Valentine wannabies to a true pop goup.
on 4 September 2002
I Remember enjoying lsh for the first time when Hypocrite came out, and i found it with a friend in our local independant record shop on 12". Since then i was kind of hooked. I aquired Lovelife as soon as it came out and was pleasantly surprised, this was all the lush i owned untill 1999.
Then i found Split second hand and thought that i couldn,t hurt to by it for a fiver. First listen i fell asleep, i was dissapointed, but two more listens and i was hooked. Better than lovelife in so many ways, their most accomplished album musically and lyrically. After this i was happy to enjoy the dreamy notions along with the bile, the internet and use of napster allowed download of Gala, after which i bought Scar on 12".
My final Lush purchase was Spooky, once again bought second hand, in a digi pack with Monochrome blue/silver/purple colouring, seemed apt to the music inside. With a washed production edge of vocal harmonies colliding into effects laden guitars showed a seriously dreamy edge to these supposed "shoegazers".
I think this best of compilation says a lot about how the band formed, played and wanted recognition. The majority of the tracks are taken from Split, i was especially surprised to see love at first sight, as it was on the first lush release i bought, and on the last. I especially liked the way the album put the most acsessable tracks first and the least last. Any lush fan needs to by this, and any aspiring lush fan can use it as a great introduction.
The writing in the cover that doccuments the way they were was lovely, if not very sad with the inclusion of Chris Aclands dedication. Ciao!
Unforgettable...
on 31 January 2013
Amazon recommended this to me, presumably because I bought a couple of early missing pieces of the Cocteau Twins oeuvre (I saw the Twins in Belfast's Ulster Hall in the late `80s, but I'll save that story for another day...).

Anywho, I already have Lush's `Ciao' compilation CD, which I bought a few years ago, after selling all my vinyl - including their Spooky 10" double album. I saw Lush in the Belfast Art College sometime around '90, around the time they were leaving their `spangly-jangly' guitar sound behind in favour of the darker, more brooding (and less intelligible) shoegazing style.

Miki Berenyi's vocals (and her distinctive look) tend to dominate a lot of reviews, but for me it was Emma Anderson whose seductive guitar style and understated backing vocals dominated the band: now, 20 years later, she still does...

I'm not convinced that this compilation has the right balance, but while it may not be `comprehensive' it is certainly `representative' of Lush's too-short lifespan and scattered output.

Thanks to amazon's serendipitous recommendation, Ciao has spent the last week in my car CD player...and guarantees a nostalgic smile on every trip...
on 20 March 2013
Vintage TV frequently plays Indie music from the 80s and though I have a couple of CDs by Lush plus a couple from the EPs I wasn't sure where I'd heard Sweetness & Light before.I thought it sounded like the earliest music from the Creation label or even the music of Enya but I see its the most popular download.
This song to my mind was their finest hour and reminds me of my many trips to London in the 90s when I would take a Walkman and listen to tapes of Indie music many played all day long till the batteries ran out
on 1 June 2004
I got into Lush too late.... just before 'Lovelife' came out. It was all too early, though - Lush still give a sound before their time. This is a good mix of old and new (all future compilation compilers take note!), but there will always be disagreements with what made it/didn't make it to the final cut...
'Childcatcher' from 'Lovelife' is one such omission.... but, having said that, if you've ever been told that Lush were a great band with a great sound and never believed it, this is something to make you kick yourself, and go out and buy the entire back catalogue... when this band (through tragedy) dissolved, I think we were robbed of the opportunity of hearing more....
Buy.... listen.. love.... Lush..
on 14 June 2016
Underated band that should have been bigger , a good introduction , then buy Chorus (the box set of all their albums)
on 9 September 2015