Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 July 2017
I have a number of Etta James CDs This lady was pure class never get tired of listening .would give her more than 5 if possible .
on 29 September 2003
Etta James' big, brassy and bold voice sings some great love songs in this bluesy, R & B collection, starting with her 1961 hit of the Warren/Gordon "At Last", which is one of the standouts. Others include another hit from 1961, "Trust in Me", and an earthy, scrumptious duet with Harvey Fuqua (lead and founder of the Moonglows), "If I Can't Have You". I also like her take on the Gershwin brothers' "Someone to Watch Over Me", with Ira's terrific lyrics; I always appreciate his split phrases, like "Although he may not be the man some / girls think of as handsome"
With the exception of "Lovin' Arms" which was recorded in 1974, and the cover of The Association's "Never My Love" (1973), these recordings are from the '60s, but Etta is a classic singer, and never sounds dated. Digitally remastered, they did a good job of the audio quality, with crisp highs and nice depth. there are no liner notes in the foldout insert which only includes a song list, and the total time is 45'48.
Fondly known as Miss Peaches, one wonders if Etta's huge voice, with it's powerful, slightly abrasive top notes, would have become more famous had she not been shadowed and hindered by personal problems; Etta is a major song stylist, appealing to listeners of jazz, R & B, soul, and blues, and this is a fine compilation for fans of this splendid artist.
on 1 June 2009
This is a real classic. Eta James at her best and singing the most gloriously romantic songs but without sticky layers of sugar. Her rendition of 'My Funny Valentine' is really atmospheric; a must for that special St Valentine's Day date/meal.
on 1 July 2016
Am a big Etta James fan but this is a 3rd rate compilation. Includes At Last from 1960 then jumps to the late 1990's and early 2000's like she recorded nothing in between. Don't know what the song selection criteria was - jazz standards maybe but then why the token inclusion of At Last - but it's not what I love to hear her sing and I doubt I'll listen to it a second time. Can't think who this CD would appeal to. New fans should not start here.
Love Songs
on 8 July 2013
I had this album previously on CD, and was hacked off because the disk became damaged due to my own stupidity. When I saw this album available for download in MP3 format - I jumped at it. I've now got it on my media server at home and my mobile, and can enjoy it anywhere. There are just so many old fashioned smoochy love songs on this album - 'A Sunday Kind of Love' - what can I say - I absolutely love it.
on 19 July 2015
Fairly good album, but you would have to be a true Etta fan to love it.
on 7 February 2016
ETTA can sing any song. She's a proper singer.this CD only confirms it.