on 29 April 2001
Radio Tarifa gives us an excellent example of how useless are borderlines when popular culture is involved. Radio Tarifa members are professional musicians specialized in Early Spanish Music. Hence, they don't only use modern instruments, like electric guitar, but also antique Mediterranean ones.
In this CD there are some popular and traditional Spanish songs (mainly from southern Spain) rearranged with Moroccan and other north African influences. There are also new compositions based on this mixture. The result is contemporary, fresh music with a universal flavour.
Special mention is for Patas Negras a purely percussion composition which contains flamenco steps (Joaquin Ruiz) as part of the music.
Highly recommended.
on 23 February 2002
I saw Radio Tarifa live at De Montfort Hall in Leicester during their current 2002 tour (as a five-piece group) and loved their blend of Spanish/Moorish/Cuban-style music - difficult to define, but its pace, zest, and sheer exuberance swept me along like a hot camel ride across the desert. This CD I found more difficult to get into, as it is much more varied in pace and style than their live performance, with slower numbers (and female vocals also one one track) interspersed with faster ones. But I've been playing it all week and the slower tracks are growing on me while the faster ones are superb - track 3, "El Viaje De Lea", is a monster which is in my all-time top ten, and has echoes of Trees (remember them?) for me for some reason. Now I'm going to work back through their albums with anticipation. Radio Tarifa - they've got power and passion, and that's more than enough for me.
on 24 March 2004
This is the most spine-tingling, mesmerizing and evocative collection of sounds I've heard since, well --- ever. It reminds me of all the best holidays and all those friendly people, colourful bazaars, the warm, heady smell of spices, exotic and alluring dances. It's full of mystery and fills me with longing for all that good stuff. That's it! I'm packing my bags and going back there. Where? Everywhere that's fun, strange, exciting, alien .... you know the place, we've all been there in our dreams, if not on our hols.
I love Radio Tarifa's music and this is my favourite cd. If you haven't heard it yet, there's a gaping hole in your music collection.
on 28 October 2014