on 15 November 2005
This game is absolutely worth the money spent. While some may not quite understand the humour, those who have read Adams' work and know his sense of humour will see it everywhere here. It can be a very exacting game at times, but whereas in MYST I occasionally felt absolutely stumped I found myself always able to work out Starship Titanic.
The bots are truly superb, the PET (Personal Electronic Thing) interface allows for a diverse range of communications. Although in reality bots will only respond helfully to the right questions, they'll respond wonderfully unhelpfully to anything else, and it really is great sometimes. Typing your own answer, rather than choosing from a preset allows one to feel so much more like one is involved in the game.
The scenery is also truly gorgeous. From the opening credits through to the end you are immersed in a fabulous world of opulence (apart from your 3rd and 2nd class quarters, of course), which is often very closely involved in your game. Oh, and in what other game can you ask a bot to throw a television down a Mile-deep central well to which he replies "yeah, smash the ship, smash the ship!" and does it?
I love every second of this game every time I play it.
on 17 December 2000
This is one for any fan of Douglas Adams! The graphics and sound are sumptuous, and yet its hardware requirements are modest by today's standards.
It is not so much an adventure game as a beautifully illustrated puzzle. There is no real action but there is a series of puzzles you must solve if you are to repair the ship and fly her back home.
Despite that the game box says it's suitable for anyone aged 3 onwards, age 11 seems a more realistic minimum. Even so, some of the puzzles are very obtuse, and no amount of Douglas Adams humour (of which the game has a lot) or luxurious coding is going to compensate for the rather short gameplay and abrupt ending.
There is an excellent and free UK-based website offering game hints, technical help and a very sociable chat, details of which are included with the game.
Grim Fandango is superior in most respects, but Starship Titanic remains a completely essential part of my small games collection. If you only ever buy two games of this genre, make it these!
on 22 September 2002
When it comes to an adventure game, where you collect items, solve puzzles, and talk to people, gameplay comes first. Graphics, sounds, music and voices are all really just extras. That's why Curse of Monkey Island did so well, where Escape didn't do quite so well.
That's why I didn't really like this game. The voices, graphics, and jokes were great, but the whole place was just too spread out, and with too few people to talk to. There were very few clues as to what to do next, and the story really had difficulty unfolding itself - you start off very uncertain about anything, and it doesn't really improve. Some puzzles were good, but basically it's a treasure hunt - you don't feel like you've gained anything by solving a puzzle.
on 10 June 2003
First things first - I'm biased. I love the work of Douglas Adams.
With that out of the way, I can say that I have been a little disappointed by this game. It starts out well and at times is extremely funny.
The jokes are too far spread out between the long, empty spaces and the movement is awkward and irritating when you can't manoeuvre how you want to.
The startlingly original conversation interface pales after a while until you just want to see how the robots react to abuse (note: this might just be me).
On the plus side, it's original, it looks stunning and I have a feeling that there are more members of the Monty Python team doing voices than you'd expect from reading the credits.
Not an astounding game, but definitely worth the money!
on 16 January 2003
The game is very funny but ultimately becomes tiring to play. All interaction is with bots (robots) and discussions with them are somewhat unilateral. There are no humans on board the Titanic and the locations, however beautiful they are, become dull and annoying in their staticity.
A redeeming feature of the game is in the jokes. They are quite different from what is usually seen but not at all unlike what you'd expect from Douglas Adams. Insulting and satiric but very funny.
on 6 December 2000
I think this game will suit anyone looking for logical puzzles. I was amazed that not only did it feature stunning graphics but without doubt is one of the best adventure game I have played. I include Money Island 4 and Grim Fandango when I say this. John Cleese as a parrot and the guy from Monty Python just add to the excellent humour. All I can say is miss this game at your peril.
on 26 December 2013
Anything devised by Douglas Adams just has to be Quite Interesting, and as I have been reading THE SALMON OF DOUBT , where i saw this game mentioned, which was new to me, I decided to acquire a copy. I am so glad that I did !
on 6 August 2015
I had a total nerd-gasm when this arrived.
on 25 January 2005
Is it possible that this game doesn't work on Windows XP? Because when I was playing it, some graphics didn't show at all. Instead on some spots where there should be some video clips there was only a blank black square. I also couldn't watch the TV in the first room I was given, blocking my advancing completely. Does anyone of you know if this has something to do with my platform? If not, then the game has to be broken...
But overall, the game is GREAT :D
on 10 March 2004
My goodness, I can't remember the last time a game made such a powerful negative impression on me. I was expecting something like Grim Fandango with Robots. What I got was Myst with text input. Yep, we're talking lots of static pre-rendered image with next to no animation and precious little interaction. The humour, such as it is, seems to lie in so-called funny voices rather than amusing content or situations. The much-vaunted text parser is simply terrible: it simply means that you have type your answers in manually rather than select them from a menu of responses. Here's an example: when you first book into the starship you're asked questions about accommodation preferences, one of which is your favourite newspaper. The suggestions offered by the deskbot are "The Blerontin Bugle? the Trumpet? Saxophone? Kazoo?" (this is also a good example of the so-called humour, by the way). You can only answer one of those things - you can't type in "Guardian", for example. Given that this is the case why not give me a fixed choice? Why make me type "saxophone" in manually? By the way, you type in the answers to about twelve-or-so questions in this exchange after which the deskbot replies "Well, you won't like your room then." Ha bloody ha! Thanks for wasting my time you worthless excuse of a game. I did wonder whether my initial reaction was overly harsh, but no: it was just as hateful the second time round. Avoid at all costs.