Format: DVD|Change

on 21 April 2009
Love this film, always have, always will. Never fails to move me, great acting from everyone.
VINE VOICEon 2 March 2010
I watched this with my book group yesterday as we have just read the book on which it is based. We all enjoyed the film immensely, including those who couldn't get on with the book!

It has a brilliant cast and Emma Thompson, as always, is magnificent. Yes, it's a story of thwarted love and romance, but it's wonderful too on social conventions and hypocrisy.

I was disappointed that the character of Lucy was not portrayed as in the book where she is quite clearly aware of Elinor's hopes regarding Edward before she befriends Elinor and lets her in on her secret. The theatrical irony is thus reduced in the film where it is exploited to the full in the book.

On the plus side, the youngest sister, Margaret, is given much more of a role in the film and acts as a catalyst in several situations, and this is nicely done.

If you have read the book you will still enjoy the film. If you haven't read the book, or found it hard going, you will probably enjoy it even more!
on 6 August 2014
Great film one to watch again and again
on 7 October 2014
One of my favourite Austen adaptations
on 20 February 2011
Ang Lee's production of Jane Austen's classic masterpiece is almost perfect. The direction is flawless, the acting world class and the costume design just glorious.

So why 4 stars instead of 5? Unfortunately, the actors and actresses are TOO old. These characters are supposed to be at least 10-15 years younger than Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant. I am able to suspend my disbelief and all that, but if it was made with actors/actresses who were the actual age ranges of the characters, I would not have hesitated to give it 5 stars plus +++
on 6 February 2015
I love Alfred Hitchcock films and the others I have bought so far. After four different burglaries when I used to live in London when I lost almost everything I have been forced to start again you will be pleased to know. I now live in Cornwall. One thing that I do not mind telling now. My last burglary. What could not be carried away by the thieves was trashed. Note left by the phone by them said ' Happy Christmas'. It became time to move and start again.
I am now slowly beginning to rebuild my history again. Many thanks for all your help in doing that.

Mr Peter Thomas
on 21 September 2014
Could watch this every week
on 31 December 2006
I cried at the end. Emma Thompson's reaction was perfect. It could not have been handled any better. I feel lucky that I could understand why she reacted that way. She was great as were the rest of the cast. I have not read the book and so judging this film simply as a free standing film I was really impressed. I do like romantic films but I had reservations about watching this period classic. If you are not ignorant and have some sense of emotion and thought you will love this film. Only an idiot could dislike this film.
on 4 March 2002
I was never into costume dramas, and to be honest did not look forward to watching S&S. I could not have been more surprised at how fantastic it was. Stunning performances by a fabulous cast, and I laughed so much I cried nearly all the way through it. One man steals the show though, Hugh Laurie. His cutting one liners showed a whole new side to him and I would watch this a million times over.
on 18 March 2007
Don't listen to the people who say that Emma T was to old to play Elanor. it makes no difference how old you are as long as your acting is good and hers was fantastic!! She also wrote a brilliant screen script and along with kate winslet in her pre titanic era made this on of the best adaptations of a Jane Austan book ever!