Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 April 2017
My grandson loves the original Italian job DVD and was besides himself with excitement when I brought a mini and we now have to play the CD every time we go out. It must be a sight to behold Granny and Grandson belting out "We are the self preservation society!"
on 15 April 2017
Lovely soundtrack, evocative of the great movie.
on 2 April 2017
GREAT
on 13 July 2017
great album and my kids love it ....a classic
on 20 February 2014
Great nostalgia trip with a wicked score. One of England's finest cinematic achievements with a great sixties enduring quality. Fab!
on 22 February 2004
Down in the antipodes, decent OSTs like this are about as rare as Cockneys themselves. I had to travel to London on a regular jaunt to find this gem and do not regret it one moment (especially after paying under £10); later I bumped into a friend of the CD producer, who apparently went to work for MCA and asked for the soundtrack on CD, to be told that it didn't exist (in the days when decent vinyls were going for £75). His mission from that point: to re-create one of his favourites on CD-God bless his decision and persistence!
Quincy Jones's original compositions are marvellous, recalling the moments in the film-and despite the relative brevity of the entire CD, it all seems more substantial. His jazz background serves the score well, including his rearrangements of traditional tunes, which work well independently of the movie. No other Matt Munro-performed song touches 'On Days Like These', while the instrumental (present here, thankfully) is as elegant.
As an earlier reviewer said, the quality of the remastering is excellent, while the liner notes are a useful complement (while presenting little new information for fans, souvenirs such as an image of the original poster are worthwhile). I can't wait for my next drive around Italy with this soundtrack in the CD player. While remembering that in that country, 'They drive on the wrong side of the road!'
on 3 March 2001
A truly great soundtrack that brought flooding back the fact I dragged my poor mother to the flicks over 10 times to see this film at the age of 8! But I agree with previous reviewers - adding some of the truly classic dialog... "...doors off..", "Hang on lads, I've got an idea", and Noel Coward's "Everyone's bent" would have added the 5th star for me.
The Italian Job was a stylish and with it comedy from the late sixties. Everyone remembers Michael Caine's accent and the iconic Mini chase, but the equally stylish soundtrack is often overlooked.

Opening with the inimitable Matt Monroe crooning `On Days Like These', a song and performance as cool as the Alps in which the opening sequence is set, this is a classy sound track that really sets the tone for the film. Using the cool jazz/blues sound prevalent at the time there are series of swinging numbers that neatly describe the hip with it swinging youngsters, and the stuffier elder statesmen of the criminal organisation. It neatly brings together the various elements of the film, the comedy, the serious criminal endeavour and the sense of having fun that pervades throughout. Finishing with `Getta Blooming Move On', sung by the cast as the bus with the gold is careering through the Alps with joyful abandon, this is a great soundtrack.

The score from Quincy Jones is well put together and fits the film perfectly. It is not quite in the top echelon of film music (The Good, The Bad, The Ugly and On Her Majesty's Secret Service are my personal two all time favourites) but it's not far away. The only slight let down is that there is no dialogue from the film - Caine's `Now listen, I have this great idea...' at the end of the disc would have rounded it out nicely. The sound reproduction is clear and sharp, and sounds good on my stereo. The inlay contains a short essay and lots of nice pictures.

A decent set, well worth the money to any fans of the film and anyone who likes the style of the hip swinging sixties.
VINE VOICEon 18 June 2004
For those of us who for years were desperate to own a copy of the soundtrack from this brilliant classic British caper film, this CD re-issue is a wonderful thing to own. I am a HUGE fan of the film, I own it on most available formats and even though I own it, I still watch it when it comes on the TV. I am so grateful for the fact that this album is now available to the masses on CD, something I thought would never happen.

As a fan of the film I can listen to the tracks and picture the scene, but not so sure all of the music on this album would mean as much to someone who is only a casual fan of the film. Of course the fantastic 'get a blommin move on' and it's variants are found here, and the versions of 'on days like these' are worth the price of admission alone.

Something else that the film is famous for of course is the snappy dialogue and quotes 'bloody doors off' etc.. and I think it is a missed opportunity to not use the CD re-release to include some of the classic dialogue in between the tracks.

Apart from this though, the soundtrack on CD for a fan of the film is essential listening, enjoy!
on 4 January 2002
With good condition vinyl original copies of this changing hands for big money this CD must've been eagerly awaited. The artwork on the sleeve bears no resemblence to the original but the tracks are the same. The anthemic "Self Preservation Society" recently re-awakened by adverts and english footie fans is the real gem. If you love the film, this is a must, and if you own a Mini Cooper like me, fit a CD player and you'll be in seventh heaven. Turn it up and "blow the bloody doors off"