Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Discover more Shop now

Format: DVD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 November 2012
I was immediately interested in this movie after taking a look at the front cover of the DVD and seeing what a strong cast of female talent it had. 'Steel Magnolias' (1990) was a treat from start to finish. This is a comedy/drama centering around a group of very different women in a beautiful Louisiana bayou town, and a simple story about love and friendship.

Julia Roberts is terrific as the lead character, Shelby, a young women who gets married and has a child, only for tragedy to strike due to her type of diabetes. The consistent scene stealer is undeniably the wonderful Shirley MacLaine as Louisa, a grumpy, acid tongued two-timed widow, the 'heart' of the film is Dolly Parton as hairdresser Truvvy, and special marks should go to the fabulous Sally Field who excels as the distraught mother towards the end if the film.

'Steel Magnolias' is a new favourite film of mine, it is beautifully-written, superbly acted out and just a brilliant piece of drama that should appeal to both men and women. This DVD edition includes lots of good special features, including deleted scenes, director's commentary, a featurette, and more.
on 16 June 2003
I'm sure that any film reviewer would not put this in his list of the top 10 films of all time, but it is way up there in my personal list. It is just a great feel good film which over a period of several years depicts the lives of several women as the get on with life as best they can. Dolly Parton, Olympia Dukakis, Sally Field, Shirley McLaine, Daryl Hannah, and Julia Roberts star. All aspects of life are there, right from birth to death and theres some great comedy in there too tyhough the film is not a comedy. Dukakis and Mclaine's one liners and constant bickering is a joy from start to finish. The film is set in the 'deep south' of the US, which seems to give the comedy a bit more bite'... well okay then it gets down right bitchy at times but always tongue in cheek.
A great Sunday afternoon film. May make your eyes water and tug at your heart strings but well worth a look!
on 19 February 2012
This movie is wonderful. As another reviewer pointed out, it's a "girl's film," but that men can enjoy it, too. This is true. I know guys who have enjoyed it--in fact, one of them is my husband. Just as an aside -- the movie is based on a play written by a man! (Robert Harling)

I've read some excellent summaries of the movie by several other reviewers, so I will hone in on another aspect of the excellence of this movie. Many times women are portrayed as being bitchy and catty to each other, but in my opinion this movie is realistic in its portrayal of female friendship. To be sure, the gals get on each others' nerves once in a while, but over all, they care deeply about each other's welfare. It's touching to see the concern of Truvy (Dolly Parton's character) for young Anelle (Daryl Hanna's character) whom she practically takes in as a daughter after giving her a job as a stylist at her beauty shop. The relationship of M'lynn and Shelby (Sally Field and Julia Roberst, respectively) is strikingly accurate in the relationship between mother and daughter. But most touching is how all of the women gather around and support M'Lynn in her painful loss.

It's true that the movie was set in the "Deep South" of the United States, but there's something universal about it. My mother cried when she watched it the first time. When I was teaching an English class to Spanish-speaking students, I used it for the language and subtitles, I had a whole classroom of Mexican women weeping over M'Lynn's loss. And now I notice that this movie has a high rating here in the UK!

To me, it shows universal human nature. It has the right combination of dramatic elements, humor, sadness and triumph to make it an excellent movie. I strongly encourage getting the movie and watching it. I'll make a guess that you won't watch it only once!
on 27 September 2010
Great classic movie, is extremely sad and funny at the same time. Girls night in film.
on 29 April 2016
This is a great favourite with my daughters and me. Yes, in places it is very funny, but there is pathos too, and very human emotion. The characters are believable and larger than life. Whenever we watch it, we always laugh and we always cry. It's the perfect Chick Flick.
on 16 July 2014
Based on the play by Robert Harling, and based on his own life experiences ( the documentary on the DVD covers this more in depth ) and Directed by Herbert Ross, the film chronicles the lives of a group of women in a small Louisiana town over the course of a few years.
What starts of as a comedy, complete with razor sharp one liners, classic lines ( " looks like two pigs, fightin' under a blanket " ) and bursting with good old fashioned southern hospitality and sweetness the film suddenly changes direction when one of the characters, Shelby ( Roberts ) a serious diabetic, takes a turn for the worse.
You'd be hard pressed to find a cast that work so beautifully together, capturing humour, tenderness and emotion so perfectly.
The tag line of the film on it's release was " the funniest movie to make you cry " , and that sums it up perfectly.
Starring Sally Field, Dolly Parton, Julia Roberts, Daryl Hannah and a sublime comedy pairing in Shirley MacLaine and Olympia Dukakis ( who incidentally steal virtually every scene they are in together ) Steel Magnolias is on par, for me, with Bette Midler's Beaches as one of those films that can make you laugh and cry in equal measure.
Highly Recommended viewing for those quiet sunday afternoons.
on 8 July 2016
I have always enjoyed this film so now I can watch it whenever I like.All the actors are just suited to the parts they play. The product as always from Amazon came packed really well and it arrived at the time stated.
Chris
on 10 December 2015
When I first opened the package, this DVD and the case both looked practically brand new! I am very happy with the condition of the overall item. The case and DVD had only a couple tiny little smudges/scratches but definitely nothing big enough to notice without inspecting the product thoroughly.
on 16 August 2013
I have seen this wonderful film so many times and love the way it portrays the child-mother bond and the complex relationships between women. I'm not a fan of Julia Roberts but in this film she really packs a punch as the young woman with diabetes trying to get as much out of her life as possible. Shirley Maclaine is a joy to watch as always - brilliantly acerbic with some great one-liners..."My he's such a gentleman, I bet he takes the dishes out of the sink before he pees in it!". Dolly Parton is stunning to look at and proves she can be a very sensitive actor.

This film is to be explored and enjoyed so I wont describe any further so as not to spoil this journey....you'd have to be as hard as nails not to feel Sally Field's distress towards the end of the film, I have yet to see the end credits without tears streaming down my face. 'Life goes on'....
on 27 June 2007
I have watched this film many, many times over the years and it's still as great as the first time I watched it. A superstar cast brings with it quality acting and a superb script. Don't think I've ever watched it without crying, so if you're a Steel Magnolias virgin, or coming back to it for a repeat viewing - be sure to have the tissues at the ready....

It also has one of my all-time favourite quotes, which is something I live by...

"I'd rather have one moment of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special" - simply beautiful!

Obviously if you like your no-brainer action car-chase movies, this isn't for you. If you want a simple story of lives and friendships, beautifully written and flawless performances, with depth and character - this is essential viewing.