Customer reviews

Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 November 2000
More refined than Dry, a less produced feel than To Bring you my Love, however it manages to encapsulate the essence of both. The vocals are as raw as ever when required, operatic in places, entwined with the banging bass (youll be banging your hands on your steering wheel like a demeneted dementee during Kamikazee!)
Having been a fan since the days of Dry, i feel that over the years the atmosphere of the music has progressed with my progress in age!
on 4 February 2010
This is a cracking album - apparently PJ doesn't think too much of it herself these days - but what does she know? It is the most commercial of her album's but it's still not exactly Susan Boyle so I think she should rest easy (mind you after her cover of `Wild Horses' I'd quite like to hear Ms Boyle have a go at `The Whores Hustle And The Hustlers Whore'..).

There's plenty of lively `uns on here; the aforementioned `Whores' etc, `Big Exit', `Kamikaze' and the wonderfully lustful `This Is Love'. But there's also some quieter moments, dare I say contemplative. I love `We Float'; instead of her usual raging at an ex there's almost a sense of acceptance, `take life as it comes'. Of course the `hidden' track comes after this `This Wicked Tongue' which might also be the best track on the album, and is certainly not quiet or contemplative.

I don`t like `Horses In My Dreams' but the rest are great and her voice has never sounded better. Buy buy buy!
on 20 March 2001
Unbelievable. PJ seems to just burn brighter and brighter as time goes on. Listening to her older albums you somewhat get lost in this darkeness of times gone by however this album completely re-evokes the feeling of her earlier work only now its richer and even more deliciously complex. It shatters the illusion of the past and brings it right here into the present. You can really feel her raw emotion (you said something/beautiful feeling) and experience the beauty and enigma that is PJ Harvey
Every track counts on this album which is a rarity in itself. Its opening track "Big Exit" is beleagured with her trademark darkness and nihilism and we know PJ is on the warpath again. The collaboration with Thom Yorke "This mess we're in" is a fantastic blend of talent. Both slightly strange and enigmatic one could almost belief some odd half-lit relationship was going on between them-it works superbly and does not relent each time its listened to. Surprisingly the album has a tone of the headiness of being in love which may or may not be a cross-over of PJ's real-life seeping into her musical creativity. Definitely a classic album that I personally will refer to for many years to come. Most definitely an album of depth and influence ( notably of Patti Smith-who she scarily sounds like in one of the tracks). One word- "Quality".
on 28 October 2001
Ah. Well. Yes. Err.
Sorry, it's rather difficult to descrive how good 'Stories' is in mere words. Just buy it for heaven's sake! Your cd player and ears will love you forever. My god, she's good!
I've had this album since it was released, and a year on, I can honestly say it's not only Polly's best (these things are relative -she's never been less than brilliant), but she now stands shoulder to shoulder with one of her major inspirations, the seminal Patti Smith. If anything, Polly has bettered her in that she has matured as a writer / performer in far less time, and musically is a much more varied artist.
I'm not going to bother with much more in the way of detail here -let's just say Stories' is a ballistic album in places, yet has the controlled, melancholic blues of 'Is this Desire?' and the raw passion 'To Bring You My Love'.
Enjoy.
on 9 April 2011
PJ Harvey intimated in a recent magazine interview that this is the least favourite album that she has created and that she can't listen to it now. But, that aside, this is probably the most accessible album she has created and the one that got her the most critical acclaim. And, despite her reservations, it gives us some great music to savour.

`Big Exit' starts with typical PJ Harvey fervour and the incessant drumming, coupled with her vocals and lyrics makes for quite a heady start to the album. My favourite track is `A Place Called Home' with an intro that gets straight into the action and then maintains the brooding feel throughout, just great stuff.

PJ Harvey has such a distinctive sound and has managed to be fairly eclectic in her career. Her dedication to her craft and refusal to pander to the media bulls**t is also refreshing and I loved how she refused to talk about aspects of her personal life that she felt were irrelevant to her music in the interview I read. That singular vision and confidence translates into some wonderful music and this album is no exception.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 August 2017
A OK
on 30 October 2000
This is a fine album, where Polly Harvey once again manages to come up with something new and entrancing. With strong echoes of Patti Smith on a couple of tracks, she's produced another compelling album, full of depth and emotion. (And not forgetting the almost obligatory appearance of Thom Yorke, who bizarrely sounds more like PJ than she herself does).
Don't expect the anger of "Rid of Me" or the fancy dress of "To Bring you my Love", this is something else again, but I promise you won't be disappointed. This is surely a woman who musically can do no wrong!
on 14 May 2010
A dark and powerful rock and roll album. All the songs are written by PJ and are full of references to excesses of surrendering to big city life (and perhaps the rock lifestyle?). There is the occasional lighter moment such as "This is Love" but there is no doubt this is meant to be a down and dirty rock and roll record.
Harvey's vocals vary from smooth as silk in "This Mess We're in" to wild woman on "Big Exit" and "Kamikaze"

Thom Yorke does guest vocals on "This Mess We're in". Mick Harvey, Rob Ellis and Ms Harvey double up as musicians and producers.

Listen over and over to this gem and discover something different every time
on 12 July 2017
Superb record. Top 10 of all time
on 30 March 2011
In my opinion, this is my favourite PJ Harvey Album I have bought, since then I have gone on to buy some of her other albums, however I always come back to listening to this one, I think the songs on this album really show off her fantastic voice and some of the songs and music just make you want to listen to it more and more. It is a great album for any time of the year!!! She is easily one of my favourite british singer/songwriters!! Anyone new to PJ Harvey should definitely buy this as their first album!!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse