Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 September 2006
As you read this review I request that you listen to the samples of either Mary Jane's Last Dance or Waiting For Tonight, which are two of literally the best songs ever written, and Waiting For Tonight can only be found on this collection, a very good reason why you should buy this CD.

The tracks are pretty much ordered in the order that they were released so you can listen to the slow development of his style of music as the CD plays which is a great feature, and it includes the best tracks from his solo albums mixed in.
on 30 January 2014
I bought this for my dad for Christmas and he hasnt stopped playing it since. With such a huge selection of his greatest songs past and present you cant go wrong with this compilation. Deserving of 5 stars.
on 27 November 2014
Some great songs, Tom Petty hits the spot for me it's of my generation, Good structure, built round solid intros. great lyrics and positive finishes. Only tracks I don't care for are when he sounds like Bob Dylan, but these are few. Love this CD, giving it plenty of playtime; like Tom and Del on Running Down a Dream I'm singing along.
I'd forgotten just how good a singer songwriter TP is. Picked this 2 CD essentially "best of" album up for a snip. A proper musician, a rocker and more, with a distinctive voice. A journey over a couple of decades where the quality does not dip. As was mentioned in an earlier review, this is a really good place to start if not familiar with his work and you can delve deeper from here. Recommended. Also, have a listen to Full moon fever, if you get a chance.
on 18 May 2012
I own loads of Tom Petty stuff on vinyl. I was going to buy a USB 'record player' converter but thought 'why convert' when this stuff is available at the click of a button and at good quality. It's great just burn the music to a CD and stick it in your car. You will get strange looks at the traffic lights when you get caught singing 'American Girl' but at least no one can here you going off key !!
on 11 February 2011
Having only heard a few of their songs i watched an excellent documentary on BBC4 about the band which sparked my interest. This is a great intro (imo) to the vast back catalogue. Great buy.
on 2 April 2014
This cd is a good overview of Petty's work. I recognised more tracks than I expected. You can hear what a skilled musician he is. He always seemed to me to be the 'new kid on the block' in The Travelling Willburys, but after listening to this, I can see just why he would fit in.
on 14 January 2013
A wonderful collection. Gives you the perfect insight. If you are new to Tom Petty this album will make you wann delve into his other releases. If you already know and /orown his works, it's a way to have some his best tracks in just one album.
on 1 April 2013
A must have! I have bought one for myself and one for my friend's Christmas present. I would recommend it to the world.
on 14 July 2012
Bought this after seeing Peter Bogdanovich's 4-hour documentary. Superb CD! Every track's worth listening to & some are just outstanding. Tom & the Heartbreakers are great musicians & this was a GREAT purchase!