Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 October 2012
I bought this in July 2012 on a whim,and it has indeed opened my ears to the wonders of French Baroque.If you like the majesty of the glorious music of Handel,you will love this CD which contain the important works by Jean-Baptist Lully; it does "grow" on you as you keep finding gems in the crafstmanship within the music, particularly in the rhythm, but also the emotion within it.Have bought many a Lully CDs ever since, and have also explored music by Rameau and Charpentier.I recommend this CD 100%.
on 13 July 2004
This album is very strong in character and very appealing. It has comparatively slow tempi and a massive sound, which distinguishes it from a lot of recordings of this repertoire. It keeps growing on you as you discover new fantastic pieces as you keep listening to it. It shows that french baroque from the time of the Sun King is more melodic, rythmic, galant, pompous and indeed powerful than contemporary baroque from elsewhere. Recommended!

EDIT: Many years have passed since I posted this review, but I still keep coming back to this one-in-million album. I urge any explorers of baroque musique and its orgins to try and listen. It's on even on Spotify, so go ahead and spoil yourself with this splendid recording of the most awesome music ever composed! :)
My goodness, what an absolutely wonderful cd! I totally love the music of Lully - he just seems to sum up the court of the Sun King so beautifully - powerful, melodic, soft, forceful - all combined in one single piece. I've never seen the film that this cd relates to, but it appears to be about Louis XIV, Lully and Moliere, and their relationships.

The music on the cd is predominantly Lully, although there is also music by Jacques Cordier, Michel Lambert and Robert Cambert. All absolutely beautifully played by Musica Antiqua Koln under Reinhard Goebel. I've pretty much played this cd nonstop for several days now, and I really can't see me ever getting tired of it. All the elements of the French court are embodied in this wonderful music, and the ensemble's renditions of these wonderful pieces are just magnificent.

Absolutely love it! Totally recommended for anybody who loves Baroque music - you will not regret getting this - it's worth more stars than I can give it here!
on 2 November 2009
Love this soundtrack - beautiful baroque music 300 years old and still rocks! Listen to it hundreds of time and still enjoying it - regal, powerful, inspiring, more than 75 minutes of great music by Musica Antiqua Koln and a very informative and well research booklet, with colourful photos comes with the CD as well - a great bargain for any price!
on 16 May 2003
If you like baroque music (or even if you don't) I'm sure you'll love this soundtrack
you'll find majestic and beautiul sounds and a royal atmosphere,
music with gorgeous character!
Ahmed, 23 years old
on 6 April 2013
Saw the film and loved the music so when I found the CD on line, I had to buy.
Did not fail to please,
on 12 December 2016
As I've said elsewhere I love the 17th century and Baroque music and certain of Lully's tunes particularly chime with me. If we do reincarnate maybe I was around then. One day I'll buy the video (if they ever put subtitles on it)
on 10 December 2014
Thanks a lot for this cd is great!
on 11 February 2015
A lovely anthology of the music of the period by the great Musica Antiqua Cologne.
on 5 November 2015